New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

boobook

Oh Dear. I didn't cause these problems, promise. Don't shoot the messenger!

The screen is so flakey.

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

The screen is so flakey.

Stop being Defamatory, these are not faults, the computers are so advanced that these are actually features - us simpletons in Japanese and American cars (or me in an Austrian built American car) just dont understand how these features work o_O

Last edited:

rob_macca67

The screen is so flakey.

You have got to be kiddin... You spend more time looking at a flamin screen than u do looking at the countryside... Why the hell LR thought this was a good idea just escapes me... Talk about taking your eyes off the road...
Your suppose to hop in your 4WD and go bush to get away from all this sort of distracting Technology and get back to Nature... Why would u buy one?? People get all caught up with all this new Tech in cars today, not realising what it is actually doing to them... Everyone forgotten the old "KISS" saying...

hiluxxury

I saw a heap of defenders in thredbo and surrounds over the weekend. Most drivers were focussed on the screen... I'm sure the novelty wears off at some point during ownership.

Albynsw

You have got to be kiddin... You spend more time looking at a flamin screen than u do looking at the countryside... Why the hell LR thought this was a good idea just escapes me... Talk about taking your eyes off the road...
Your suppose to hop in your 4WD and go bush to get away from all this sort of distracting Technology and get back to Nature... Why would u buy one?? People get all caught up with all this new Tech in cars today, not realising what it is actually doing to them... Everyone forgotten the old "KISS" saying...
I was thinking the same, those guys seem like techno type geeks and they were even having issues navigating around the system ( even when the system is working)
Imagine coming up to a water crossing and then sitting there for 15 minutes getting it in the right mode setting :rolleyes:

G_ute

Nah, they did not go far enough! To be truly useful it needs to launch a drone to fly out over the water and map the depth, before you wade in.

dirvine

This guy is nearly as dumb as the other one that has repatriated from South Africa. What a load of rubbish. Obviously has a few cents missing in his head. I have seen a few of his videos and I am unsure if he likes or dislikes the brand. But funnily enough he keeps buying them and then keeps complaining about them. I start to wonder if he is a Toyota "plant" to discredit LR at all costs, or is he a fool (tool) with too much money. My bet is on the latter.

CaptainBanana

This guy is nearly as dumb as the other one that has repatriated from South Africa. What a load of rubbish. Obviously has a few cents missing in his head. I have seen a few of his videos and I am unsure if he likes or dislikes the brand. But funnily enough he keeps buying them and then keeps complaining about them. I start to wonder if he is a Toyota "plant" to discredit LR at all costs, or is he a fool (tool) with too much money. My bet is on the latter.
LOL like Toyota needs to plant anything - they're already one of the most successful automakers on the planet and hardly have to compete with Land Rover for anything.

boobook

Canberra land rover did a test drive trip out there, be why you saw so many. Not sure how many made it back.
Come on Smitty. You have to admit Land Rover's marketing Department leave no stone unturned in selling the dream. Of course all the Land Rovers made it back home. Why do you think they picked Thredbo?

It's a long down hill getting home. That comes in handy.

"Ok everyone, thank you for attending the Defender field day at Kosciuszko today, it's time to go home, so let's get rolling" :)

boobook

Interesting that they compared a 2006 design to a 2020 design. But it does show low tech with proper suspension travel is just as capable and more comfortable off-road than the latest and greatest.

Interesting how the Defender is lifting wheels at about 12:15 even though the track is almost dead flat. I hope there are sea sick tablets in the glovebox. :D

CaptainBanana

Interesting that they compared a 2006 design to a 2020 design. But it does show low tech with proper suspension travel is just as capable and more comfortable off-road than the latest and greatest.

Interesting how the Defender is lifting wheels at about 12:15 even though the track is almost dead flat. I hope there are sea sick tablets in the glovebox. :D
Like I said all along, increasing height increases spring rate which reduces what they call flex and increases wheel lift as well although it's been denied in this thread It's a fact. The Fj of course is live axle rear independent Front and still flex is a hell of a lot better than the soccer bus. The track they've chosen is hardly insane either although they think it's pretty nightmarish it's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a fire trail around here I can't wait to see these things going up something difficult.

mikehzz

The Defender will be able to handle very difficult stuff, the LR traction control is just too good, next level awesome really. I've seen it too often. However, watching that video and seeing him sit there in the middle of the track playing with dials and settings made me cringe, then thinking about how much the thing costs? No thanks. It reminds me of when I was young and the first time I drove an auto. I thought it was crap because the car was doing the driving for me and I was just a passenger steering the car. Even now I prefer to drive an auto in manual mode so that the gear changes happen when I choose. The more videos I see of the Defender the less I want to have one, and I'm NOT going to use some dinky lever on the dash to do my manual gear changes. I reckon the car and I would have plenty of arguments about what I choose and what it recommends. "You're not going up that hill in that mode Dave". Oh yes I am HAL! :)

Albynsw

Can you imagine sitting on the side of the track with the manual out reading up on how to get it into the correct setting to tackle the next section of track in front of you only to stop and do the same again when conditions change :rolleyes:

CaptainBanana

Can you imagine sitting on the side of the track with the manual out reading up on how to get it into the correct setting to tackle the next section of track in front of you only to stop and do the same again when conditions change :rolleyes:
Or you could buy a car which by design tries to keeps four wheels on the ground and a has a centre diff lock rather than a million computer calculations to emulate four wheels on the ground.

Anyway you can always trust the Boys From Russia and Ukraine to abuse these luxury cars so here's a little video showing them actually driving it in decent off-road stuff and not fire trails and Land Rover facilities.

boobook

Or you could buy a car which by design tries to keeps four wheels on the ground and a has a centre diff lock rather than a million computer calculations to emulate four wheels on the ground.
Or maybe worse, 10 Million calculations of spaghetti code written by TATA software engineers on $3 per hour. If you know a Software developer from ANZ or CommBank ask them how that turns out, and how many hundreds of millions it took to throw it in the bin and start again after they both realised it was unfixable. LOL. Make sure you have a spare hour to wait for their rant to slow down.

Last edited: