New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

discomatt

Not just the gadgets, they should put all that in the top end Disco but have the good features such as 50% bigger suspension bushes and ball joints , ip rated electrical connections and all those good bits into the Disco as well.

boobook

And another one bites the dust. 37 out of its first 90 days in the dealer getting fixed.

It's worse still!

Emergency braking and emergency steering not available - drive with caution, smart key not working, the old coolant problem, cameras missing, adaptive 4wd mode not working, steering assistance not available, A problem has occurred with the remote climate, try again later, Traction failure. This one is a hamburger with the lot.

How embarrassing for LR

CaptainBanana

And another one bites the dust. 37 out of its first 90 days in the dealer getting fixed.

It's worse still!

Emergency braking and emergency steering not available - drive with caution, smart key not working, the old coolant problem, cameras missing, adaptive 4wd mode not working, steering assistance not available, A problem has occurred with the remote climate, try again later, Traction failure. This one is a hamburger with the lot.

How embarrassing for LR

But its the most capable and comfortable lemon on the market:oops:

boobook

The worlds most useless car feature. It doesn't even give you the right depth and you have to acknowledge the warning at every water crossing to keep the 'Land River' Lawyers happy. Then it turns off if you get to 10kmph and you have to stop ( in the middle of a river crossing) to restart it.

It's just a distraction from driving - when you need to concentrate most. Not sure why you can't just look out the window to see how deep you are. This is 10 times more complex and the result isn't even right after all that.

Nice trick to show your mates at the golf club car park if there are puddles there. It really is a 4wd for people who will never ever go 4wding but like to think they do. It will get a lot of use around the South Melbourne Market where the road under the tramway floods a lot though. Just before the owners call the RACV.

"Yes RACV, I know I shouldn't have driven through the flood over the bonnet, but my Defender says it is only 300mm deep. I was so busy acknowledging the terms of use agreement that I didn't have time to check the real depth."

FFS, I hope this isn't the direction of real 4wds.

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

The worlds most useless car feature. It doesn't even give you the right depth. Nice trick to show your mates at the Polo Club car park though.

The features a complete gimmick anyway what’s the difference if it does or doesn’t work? This feature is to show the other dads at soccer in the car park and not actually use off road because in my experience knowing Water is too deep once I’m already in it is kind of pointless.

Albynsw

The worlds most useless car feature. It doesn't even give you the right depth and you have to acknowledge the warning at every water crossing to keep the Land River Lawyers happy. Then it turns off if you get to 10kmph and you have to stop ( in the middle of a river crossing) to restart it.

It's just a distraction from driving - when you need to concentrate most. Not sure why you can't just look out the window to see how deep you are.

Nice trick to show our mates at the golf club car park if there are puddles there. It really is a 4wd for people who will never ever go 4wding but like to think they do. It will get a lot of use around South Melbourne where the road under the tramway floods a lot though.
they really don’t do themselves any favours adding useless crap like this

boobook

There is so much to like about the Defender, the interior design is miles ahead of anything else, they really should have kept it simple. The electronics and software are just gimmicks that get in the way and make it too flakey.

Albynsw

Old farmer Harry thought they were alright but is choking on the price. He also made the comment of selling his Range Rover because this does everything it does which again demonstrates how they have cannibalised their own market :rolleyes:

If they had kept it more in line with say a Mercedes Professional / G series that is more utilitarian sprinkled with some nice creature comforts they would of opened up to a new market of buyers instead of just stealing sales from themselves

CaptainBanana

Old farmer Harry thought they were alright but is choking on the price. He also made the comment of selling his Range Rover because this does everything it does which again demonstrates how they have cannibalised their own market :rolleyes:

If they had kept it more in line with say a Mercedes Professional / G series that is more utilitarian sprinkled with some nice creature comforts they would of opened up to a new market of buyers instead of just stealing sales from themselves

Poor farmer Harry is a multiple millionaire with a garage full of exotics he doesn't have to worry about unreliability.

boobook

Poor farmer Harry is a multiple millionaire with a garage full of exotics he doesn't have to worry about unreliability.
Especially since they pack 175 dealers in England alone. 130 thouand Sq km, and half the size of Victoria. No more than a 45 minute tow to a service center and on bitumen roads.

Compare that to only 34 dealers across 8 Million Sq kms only on the coasts and capital cities. Up to several thousand Kms of dirt tracks and roads to your local Land Rover experience centre in most of Australia.

Unreliability has a different outcome over there.

boobook

You have to hand it to Land Rover. They've stopped Defender issues coming in at the top of youtube feeds. Well done.

Now instead of my Youtube feed featuring reviews and issues, it is flooded by Dealer's hand over videos to new owners. In the last 2 - 3 weeks it's become a flood of boring videos of people picking up their new Defender posted by dealers in the UK, and US and JLR dealer review/overview videos.

Did they fix the Defender? Who knows?

Did they fix the issue of complaints topping the youtube defender videos? Sure did.

Albynsw

At least that is a positive thing for them. It has been a disastrous launch of a new vehicle for them to date.

Pleased to report back that I have seen our local one still moving about town without tilt tray assistance :cool:

discomatt

The couple of owners on Aulro are very happy so far with no issues.
I am sure @boobook will be shattered not to see a broken LR each morning on his youtube feed so he can then walk outside and praise the Toyota gods while stroking his exhaust

boobook

I am sure @boobook will be shattered not to see a broken LR each morning on his youtube feed so he can then walk outside and praise the Toyota gods while stroking his exhaust
This IS the Defender "New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information" thread isn't it? I know a few here only like to hear good reports. And there are plenty of those too.

I didn't put up the youtube videos, Owners did, I just keep seeing them in my feed.

Also, I may stand to be corrected but I don't think I have mentioned Toyota once on this thread. I leave that to the LR boyz to do like clockwork.. :D

boobook

Yep, a couple, do you also want to quote the long thread "This must be embarrassing for Land Rover" which makes this one look like a teddy bear's picnic. With comments in that thread like - 5 Owners refuse to give the service loan cars back to the dealer because theirs can never be fixed. Admittedly this comment appears to be about Disco 5's.

It's not at all beer and skittles over on Aulro on the Defender. ;)

Last edited: