New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

cam04

Who in the world is going shopping to compare a $110k rover with a prado anyway? The volume seller is the GXL for $68k. It was always going to be a stretch to get any sort of parity. Since they are cannibalising their own market anyway, they should line it up against a RRS and tell us which one is better to live with around town.

CaptainBanana

More faults - yep reliable as always. So just to be clear that the car hasn't broken down but it's throwing another fault on the screen which just give you that feeling of what next every time you drive I'm sure.

Last edited:

boobook

More faults - yep reliable as always. So just to be clear that the car hasn't broken down but it's throwing another fault on the screen which just give you that feeling of what next every time you drive I'm sure.

Lets wait and see when they do the comparison with the Land Cruiser rather than make assumptions ;)
That time has arrived.

Suspension failure light, coolant alarm keeps coming on for no apparent reason - in the snow. "But that's understandable. we've been off-road for almost 4 miles now." LOL

"That is our 3rd Defender in under 500 miles" And it still isn't working.

Last edited:

mikehzz

My thoughts? You'd have to be nutty to take one into a remote area. It doesn't matter if it's the most capable 4wd around. You'd have to be nutty to run one into a sloppy mud bath because of all its finery. You'd have to be nutty to put one in a position to get dents and pinstripes or be shaken apart by corrugations. They seem like a really impressive car that's more suited to the dream of 4wding rather than the harsh reality of what actually happens out there. If the electrics get sorted and I could pick one up 2nd hand for under $30 then maybe. I'm still really interested in the Grenadier but that might only be a dream as well...

CaptainBanana

That time has arrived.

Suspension failure light, coolant alarm keeps coming on for no apparent reason - in the snow. "But that's understandable. we've been off-road for almost 4 miles now." LOL

"That is our 3rd Defender in under 500 miles" And it still isn't working.
It's working you just never know when it's going to stop

boobook

Another brand new one with issues. This time can't select any 4wd modes - Who would have thought? LOL

Did Land Rover even test these things off road before selling them?

Last edited:

boobook

It's working you just never know when it's going to stop
I guess that depends on your definition of 'working' They keep resetting it by turning the vehicle off, and the alarms keep coming back on.

Something is faulty. Maybe something serious that they keep turning the alarm for off by rebooting. Who would know? Suspension and coolant alarms aren't trivial faults. And Land Rover's history of the suspension faults wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence.

Last edited:

boobook

Another one. Electronics problems coming in thick and fast now.

This one is 1 week old and both electronic dashs crap out. Already back at LR's to fix.

discomatt

Turning out to be a real dud, I was expecting a few issues due to it being a brand new model, as we all know its a risk to buy the very first of any model of any manufacturer but these pieces of crap are taking it to a new level. A real shame because they had the potential to be a fantastic touring 4wd.
Like many others it looks like I will keep my Disco 4 longer and sink some coin into it at the 10 year mark to keep it reliable

boobook

Turning out to be a real dud, I was expecting a few issues due to it being a brand new model, as we all know its a risk to buy the very first of any model of any manufacturer but these pieces of crap are taking it to a new level. A real shame because they had the potential to be a fantastic touring 4wd.
Like many others it looks like I will keep my Disco 4 longer and sink some coin into it at the 10 year mark to keep it reliable
Agreed. I was really hoping it had new DNA as a tourer, and give Toyota and even Nissan a run for their money. On paper it has a lot going for it.

It's going to take years for them to recover from this. Surely heads will roll in the marketing and QA departments. The 3rd car they gave TFL should have been bomb proof, not a bomb.

Last edited:

boobook

Here is the crunch. Tata has no intention to invest one more cent in JLR. it's technically bankrupt with predicted losses of 1.8 Billion pounds.

Cost cutting to prop up the share price. it's financially rated as 25% chance of going bankrupt. Ouch. Not a smart place to park $100K in a new car that appears to nee massive investment to get it working properly.

Tata Motors will resort to aggressive cost-cutting and capex reduction to tide over the crises over the next 12 months. The company has committed credit lines from banks to keep JLR afloat. As of now, JLR is trading at bankruptcy valuations. We maintain Buy as we believe JLR will be able to remain afloat despite the likelihood of a global recession. We revise our fair value to Rs 130 (from Rs 215 earlier).

Given the economic slowdown due to Covid-19, we expect global auto volumes to remain under pressure in CY2020e, which will put pressure on JLR volumes as well. We expect JLR to generate negative cash flow of GBP 1.8 bn in FY2021-22e. However, we expect the company to initiate cost savings of GBP1.1 bn under project Charge+ by focusing on material cost reduction, leveraging profitable portfolios, etc.

rob_macca67

Another brand new one with issues. This time can't select any 4wd modes - Who would have thought? LOL

Did Land Rover even test these things off road before selling them?

To me... it's just another example of where the Tech that u are starting to see in vehicles is starting to get beyond the average person... I read some of the comments on that video and one person was adamant that the owner hadn't fully read the owners manual and on page 155...
My 1st thought was - "u gotta be kidding" A vehicle where u need to "fully" read the manual before u take it away had gotten beyond a joke imo...
It's just my opinion & I may be wrong, but I reckon this will be the death of LR... Do we really need all this Tech in a 4WD?

Vesko

I wouldn't mind it to be a dud... if it was a cheap Chinese import. It looks like the Chinese are now making more reliable cars, judging by the increased number of sales they have.