New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

4x4 Earth Black Friday Sale

Albynsw

I agree with you there, but I can understand why LR went the direction they did as the old defender just didn't sell in significant numbers. It would have all been based on their business case for worldwide sales.
yes I know it was past it’s use by date but what they created is just another Disco variation so essentially competing against themselves
I don’t think they have created much of a broader market appeal with its current form

boobook

LR owner was to do a "course" to learn all the workarounds for system failures that could render a vehicle unusable (such as an electronic parking brake failure)
Looks like you have to do a training course to adjust the volume of the wonky entertainment system too.

It is scary that something that should be so simple works differently to everything else, and works in different ways for different input sources. Seriously this has been made unecessarily complicated. Even the fanboi is confused. Something as simple as using a volume knob and mute needs a degree in 'Indian programming logic decoding'. ;)

With the bugs and controlling 4wd modes by the super buggy entertainment screen, it does not give much confidence.

dirvine

The guys a fool. Look at your TV remote. It has a separate Mute button. (well mine does) Turning up the volume does not turn on the muted speakers. Typical winging Pom!! I know he has a D4 and it has the same operation, so whats his problem? Also why does he not link his phone with the system, then if he gets a call it stops playing (I think I heard that early in the video). Perhaps he needs to get with the times in regards to how electronics operate now in main stream products!!

boobook

He certainly managed to make it look complicated dirvine. 6 mins of video to explain how the volume and mute controls work in the different audio input modes.

boobook

For God's sake, It's unbelievable. You can't make this stuff up. 200 miles in, Landrover admits it needs a new engine.

But wait - there's more, that's just the beginning of the problems.

Then they get a replacement - even though LR wanted to do an engine swap on the broken one. But the dealer had no idea how to install the winch and could not get it to work. 2 cars and 2 winches down so far. So they have to import another winch from Canada.

But then they broke the new Defender when installing the replacement winch. The second defender is UNREPAIRABLE too! Seriously? ( even though LR previously said the winch was basically installed, and all that was needed was a test drive. Hmm...)

They're onto their 3rd Defender.

These guys even admit that you need a youtube channel to get the marketing department to be interested otherwise you are on your own. They are even dealing with The LR Head Office marketing department. Not a luxury afforded to the average owner I am sure. But Land Rover cant even get brand new Defenders working under close Head office mechanical and Marketing supervision.

Note all spares like engines, winches etc are all in different countries - and this is the USA.

200miles, 4 weeks, 3 Defenders and 3 winches, another delay till they fit the winch to the Defender #3 and counting. They've had a car for 3 days.

It's like watching a Circus LOL. There should be an enquiry to see if Land Rover was in charge of the Victorian Hotels Debarcle.

Who says the new Defender is not a true 'off road' vehicle. LOL

Last edited:

callmejoe

So disappointing. Were on the market for a new 4wd and did (deep down) sort of hope that LR could have put something out this time (was a pipe dream) worth while. Unfortunately the more I follow them the more I realise that for me a new 4wd that suit my needs are still very limited.

Warby

For God's sake, It's unbelievable. You can't make this stuff up. 200 miles in, Landrover admits it needs a new engine.

But wait - there's more, that's just the beginning of the problems.

Then they get a replacement - even though LR wanted to do an engine swap on the broken one. But the dealer had no idea how to install the winch and could not get it to work. 2 cars and 2 winches down so far. So they have to import another winch from Canada.

But then they broke the new Defender when installing the replacement winch. The second defender is UNREPAIRABLE too! Seriously? ( even though LR previously said the winch was basically installed, and all that was needed was a test drive. Hmm...)

They're onto their 3rd Defender.

These guys even admit that you need a youtube channel to get the marketing department to be interested otherwise you are on your own. They are even dealing with The LR Head Office marketing department. Not a luxury afforded to the average owner I am sure. But Land Rover cant even get brand new Defenders working under close Head office mechanical and Marketing supervision.

Note all spares like engines, winches etc are all in different countries - and this is the USA.

200miles, 4 weeks, 3 Defenders and 3 winches, another delay till they fit the winch to the Defender #3 and counting. They've had a car for 3 days.

It's like watching a Circus LOL. There should be an enquiry to see if Land Rover was in charge of the Victorian Hotels Debarcle.

Who says the new Defender is not a true 'off road' vehicle. LOL

How on earth can a winch installation result in an irreparable vehicle which requires replacement???

boobook

How on earth can a winch installation result in an irreparable vehicle which requires replacement???
Especially since:-

1)LR rang to say the winch was basically installed 2 days earlier, and they just wanted to take the vehicle for an extended test drive before delivery. A total time of 1 week installation.
2)It's an OE winch from Land Rover - a $10,000 LR factory-integrated pre-delivery option, presumably with pre-wired plug and play connections.
3)Land Rover Head office mechanics and Marketing people were all over this to make sure it went right.

The timeline and logic don't make sense and smells like some cover up.

CaptainBanana

They've likely cut into the engine harness somewhere and since it runs to every single sensor and Circuit in the engine bay plus it goes through the firewall and into the dashboard it's very likely that Land Rover doesn't know how to rewire a car to that extent in the dealership. They would have to rip apart all the dashboard plastics and everything else and that will almost certainly result in future squeaks and rattles and who knows what else.

Warby

They've likely cut into the engine harness somewhere and since it runs to every single sensor and Circuit in the engine bay plus it goes through the firewall and into the dashboard it's very likely that Land Rover doesn't know how to rewire a car to that extent in the dealership. They would have to rip apart all the dashboard plastics and everything else and that will almost certainly result in future squeaks and rattles and who knows what else.
Yeah, the only other scenario I can think of is that they've shorted something and fried some fairly major electrical componentry... Still, absolutely insane that installation of a winch can write off a $100k+ vehicle

CaptainBanana

Yeah, the only other scenario I can think of is that they've shorted something and fried some fairly major electrical componentry... Still, absolutely insane that installation of a winch can write off a $100k+ vehicle
It's not insane when you're talking about owning a Land Rover they are just the world's most expensive lemon.

In their defence this could be a one-off and every other defender made could be reliable for years to come but history tends to repeat itself and I doubt that's the case.

Albynsw

I know a guy who bought a new X5 BMW about 6 years ago and it had an intermittent fault where is would loose power
The dealer gave him a loan car while they tried to find the issue but after three or four months which he had the car in his possession for a couple of weeks of that they gave up and scrapped the car and told him he could buy ant other vehicle he wanted with the original purchase price fully refunded
Hopefully this LR is just a bad egg and the rest are ok but it doesn’t give you much confidence to put some coin down on one yet

Albynsw

What this latest fiasco does demonstrate is that ownership of a vehicle with this type of technology is a time bomb as the years go on and you start getting moisture ingress into looms etc and cost of repairs if repair is even viable

TYNO87

It just can’t be real. There’s part of the story not being told here. The winch thing stinks of sales/ service manager dribble. Granted it’s probably fully integrated etc but for all the electronics they’re still mechanical parts that bolt together. My money would be on someone chopped an entire harness and shorted a whole bunch of things out. If that’s the case at all and they haven’t just sold the blue one to someone else or something.
The bit I just can’t get my head around is why Land Rover haven’t dropped everything they’re doing, built a car how they want/ to their specs, tested it and shipped it straight to them. This is hurting them big time and no amount of service/ sales department dribble is going to fix it. Even staunch Land Rover fans will get fed up with this sort of garbage.
For once they can probably feed owners dribble about flux capacitors and blinker fluid like they don’t know what they’re talking about and get away with it. The problem is by the sound of it Land Rover don’t know what’s really going on either.
It’s a blessing in disguise for the YouTube channel. They were probably disappointed initially as they would have been counting on the new defer to bring in some views, as it turns out the thing being a lemon has probably received even more press. For them the worse it gets, the better it gets. God help anyone with out a couple of hundred thousand followers on social media but.

boobook

There is an upside. This has spawned a whole new generation of Land Rover Jokes in the comments section that will last for decades.

"Their next replacement will be the Star Wars Special edition Defender - May the fourth be with you"
"Why are Land Rovers like Donald Trump? They refuse to go."
"The Land Rover that couldn't be fixed wasn't faulty, it was just operating outside its normal parameters" ( Land Rover made that joke up!)
"They wanted a different color to show the viewers it wasn't the same vehicle. Next time Land Rover shouldn't give them another lemon one"
"If one breaks down, fool them. If two break down fool you. If three break down, it's a Land Rover. "
"One day a Land Rover owner walks into a dealer's service center......."
"How many Land Rovers does it take to do one car review?"

There are dozens of gold nuggets in the comments section. And I am sure LR will dish up more Defenders to other poor owners to keep the thread going for a long time.

Last edited:

boobook

@boobook
My main concern is that all the other brands go broke and we all end up driving Toyota’s and I will lose my current heir of superiority

Just a joke guys :)
No need to stress @alby, there are plenty of soccer mums and off-road wannabes in Toorak and Double Bay who will continue to buy Land Rovers and Range Rovers and will never get more than 50km from their local shopping centre, ski field, winery or LR dealer. They'll never see an off-road review in their life.

All good. Not a lifted wheel or Mud Terrain in sight.

LOLOL

Though I must admit, the more viable competition for Toyota the better. I think ( Hope) the Y62 and the new US utes are starting to give them a run for their money. The Defender does look good on paper but it seems to be keeping the LR tradition alive.

They may sort it yet.

Last edited: