New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

rob_macca67

What sort of fuel capacity would it have? can this be increased for remote travel? Can u install a Bullbar? I think over time it will grow on most LR people but gone are the days of fixing anything..

smitty_r51

What sort of fuel capacity would it have? can this be increased for remote travel? Can u install a Bullbar? I think over time it will grow on most LR people but gone are the days of fixing anything..
The screen grab on the video is the bullbar... Looks to be two options, a smart bar type nudge bar and this second one insert thing that holds the winch and expands to the sides, no triple loop jobs.

Fuel tank I have read as 80 or 85l can't remember which and the figures quoted on the video are 7.7/100 on the diesel and 9s on the petrol... Turn them to real world figures and I would say 750-800 range

discomatt

Fuel capacity will be crap, Toyota are the only ones that nail that in standard form, like always there will be aftermarket fixes, my D4 came with about 80l standard, I can now carry 190l

dirvine

Fuel capacity will be crap, Toyota are the only ones that nail that in standard form, like always there will be aftermarket fixes, my D4 came with about 80l standard, I can now carry 190l
Whilst I agree that 80ltrs is on the low side, one also has to remember that a LR is far more economical than a LC, (or just about any other 4WD unless we talk Suzuki). So a LC chewing 22/100 and a LR doing 15/100 on the same terrain, soon makes the range difference not so great. Eg LR 80 = 120 LC. Plus there is the weight carrying capacity reduction when all loaded up with fuel. Unless you are doing real remote 4WDing, the real need for a LR tank is not necessary. How many people who have a LR tank really need the extra capacity? Also the cost to buy and fit would have a very long payback V the use of say gerry cans when you do that occassional remote trip. Most places around Australia (with the exception of really remote 4WDing) have petrol stations no more than 400kms apart. Even your last trip Discomatt, you did not really need the LR tank to get around.

discomatt

Even your last trip Discomatt, you did not really need the LR tank to get around.
Yes very true but not having to stop at every servo and getting up to 1600km without thinking about fuel is very nice.
I only have the LR tank because the previous owner put it in along with all the other bits he added, I certainly would not build one from scratch the same way

Albynsw

When doing the big trips it feels like Groundhog Day stopping for fuel every day and often twice a day as you need to stay topped up to get to the next fuel stop
It is also a comforting feeling knowing you have excess capacity and not stressing if you will make the next stop

rob_macca67

The screen grab on the video is the bullbar... Looks to be two options, a smart bar type nudge bar and this second one insert thing that holds the winch and expands to the sides, no triple loop jobs.

Fuel tank I have read as 80 or 85l can't remember which and the figures quoted on the video are 7.7/100 on the diesel and 9s on the petrol... Turn them to real world figures and I would say 750-800 range

Whilst I agree that 80ltrs is on the low side, one also has to remember that a LR is far more economical than a LC, (or just about any other 4WD unless we talk Suzuki). So a LC chewing 22/100 and a LR doing 15/100 on the same terrain, soon makes the range difference not so great. Eg LR 80 = 120 LC. Plus there is the weight carrying capacity reduction when all loaded up with fuel. Unless you are doing real remote 4WDing, the real need for a LR tank is not necessary. How many people who have a LR tank really need the extra capacity? Also the cost to buy and fit would have a very long payback V the use of say gerry cans when you do that occassional remote trip. Most places around Australia (with the exception of really remote 4WDing) have petrol stations no more than 400kms apart. Even your last trip Discomatt, you did not really need the LR tank to get around.

Well, LR was always well known for remote touring and if u cannot carry the fuel, then you're not going to go to those really remote places. I have always worked on a range of at least 1000kms for a touring vehicle (for what I like doing). LR might claim these really good Fuel Economy figures but in the real world its just BS (I'd be happy to be proven wrong). For really remote trips (ie: off track driving), I'd be very surprised if most peoples' vehicles were not near (or over) their vehicle's GVM at some point during their travels - from my experience, the economy will be not be as good for an Auto. I reckon you would burn more than a manual (I may be wrong here, but this is just from what I've experienced between Man vs Auto for myself - talking off track with Dunes here.)

This year we were planning on a "Off-Track" Trip where the fuel capacity needed was in excess of 200ltrs per vehicle. With these sort of trips you need to give yourself a good safety barrier when it comes to fuel as u don't know exactly your direction, your economy or whether u end up having to return via the way u came in... 80-85ltrs + a few jerrycans may not do, especially if u have more than a few people in your car...

The smart bar/nudge bar isn't really going to help much with Kangaroo strike on the front corner of the vehicle either...

Just my thoughts though...

Last edited:

smitty_r51

yeah i agree on the bullbar...but they have at least shown something can be mounted, and if they can mount something you can guarantee ARB and the likes will look at something similar unlike the disco 5 which i beleive there is still no-one with a proper roo bar available.

and yes for remote touring it depends if the undercarriage has space for a long range tank. if they are quoting 8l/100km ish then that is about what my pathfinder is supposed to get. real world i get 10's loaded up and on sand about 13-15. i would expect on that the defender is going to do similar. if they can fit another 80l under the car somewhere then that gives you your 1500 range.

until they get one of these shores and the accesorries places get hold of it no-one is going to know, it is all conjecture.

If they had just called it the disco 5 there wouldn't be all the noise about it. i don't get some car manufacturers and their brands/models naming, this is an excellent car but it aint a defender... it would be like them launching the new 70 series as something that is a prado specification vehicle.

dirvine

My figures on fuel consumption are real not car computer ones. Went on a trip recently following B &W with a friend. He had a lighter caravan than mine (2.4t v 2t) and was in a 2017 LC 200. We drove at 90 to 95kph max on bitumen because if he went to 100kph, fuel use was over the top. We kept record of kms and fuel use. Except for a little driving around towns with no van attached, we basically did the same kms (mine was 100 more). Even though he had a bigger fuel tank, I had two jerries on the van which I used as required. The fuel usage/ price differential on 9250kms was 615 v 419 ltrs and cost differential was nearly $300. When he got back home he needed a car service, mine still had 16,000kms to go. I know which car I would rather tow with. People find it hard to understand that a LR is very economical for the size and weight.

discomatt

Please explain your numbers, 9250 km and you say 419l used? that can not be right, that works out at 4.5l / 100km......
At 100km/h I average 16/100 with the new van, friends with exact same van and same year LC 200, both cars 2013 models, he averages 21/100 at 100km/h so he sits on 90 which brings it back to 17- 18l/100
what I save in fuel he doubles in savings from less depreciation if not more so who cares, drive what you like best

Albynsw

Please explain your numbers, 9250 km and you say 419l used? that can not be right, that works out at 4.5l / 100km......
At 100km/h I average 16/100 with the new van, friends with exact same van and same year LC 200, both cars 2013 models, he averages 21/100 at 100km/h so he sits on 90 which brings it back to 17- 18l/100
what I save in fuel he doubles in savings from less depreciation if not more so who cares, drive what you like best
Hey Matt in practical terms does the LC have more stowage space than the LR or not that big a deal?

dirvine

Opps sorry I deleted the file we were using and I did a wrong calc. I roughly remembered the figures on fuel use per 100 lts and just did a a calc based on $1.50 per ltr cost. Try he used 3052 and i used about 2100, and cost diff was about $950.

Albynsw capacities. as per specs LC: 2 rows of seats 41.4cf, LR 39.7. Front row only LC 82.8, LR 90.33. In reality these figures can be missleading. A D4 is boxy so square things fit in really well. Not so sure a LC is the same as its wide at the bottom and narrows at the top. But there is not much in it. Also when I am towing, other than my engel beer fridge, compressor, and a small tool kit, nothing else in the car. So space is not so important for me.

discomatt

As far as storage my D4 is way better than my mates LC, my rear seats 3rd and 2nd row fold flat so don't eat into storage space , his 3rd row sit to the side so it really eats into it.
If the LC had its 3rd row seats removed I think it would have more overall space as its a bigger 4wd
I think three is more room in the front for driver and passenger in the Discovery

Vesko

As far as storage my D4 is way better than my mates LC, my rear seats 3rd and 2nd row fold flat so don't eat into storage space , his 3rd row sit to the side so it really eats into it.
If the LC had its 3rd row seats removed I think it would have more overall space as its a bigger 4wd
I think three is more room in the front for driver and passenger in the Discovery
The new Defender looks quite spacey:
2020 Defender Stowage.jpg