New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

discomatt

I look at it this way, I want to go touring with some challenging 4wding thrown in here and there. The perfect 4wd for those 2 applications are polar opposites so the 4wd I want will do at its best what a majority of the time in the seat requires, just driving the black top or dirt roads then it must also be capable of doing the tuff stuff when required. This car will do both with little fuse on the hard stuff and top comfort, ease and safety on the rest.
As far as travel I have seen Patrols and cruisers with crap 4 and 6 inch lifts with the same suspension drop, if you lower the car from its maximum height you get considerably more travel but loose the clearance under it, like everything there must be a payoff somewhere

dirvine

Discomatt, my car is newer than yours (possibly newer TR) and I can drive through the brakes. It does not reduce performance. If it does you just use a little more throttle. Mind you I have only ever done it in TR Rock crawl mode.

boobook

This video shows the real capability of the new Defer, typical lack of down travel for air bag suspension at full height but thats to be expected but the TC more than makes up for it.
IMO very impressive for a stock standard 4wd
http://instagr.am/p/CBhipmTjo5A/
Does the Disco have any suspension travel at the front when off road? The front wheels never seem to use any suspension travel. There are lots of examples in the video where the fronts don't move up or down at all, for example at 2:22 the left front is obviously off the ground and using TC. Several seconds later the right front is off the ground and the left one is driving. But there is no travel in the suspension. It is supposed to be like that?

As to the traction control, I think the driver must have had it turned off or at least the wrong setting. It looks like it must have been on a sand setting to allow a lot of wheel slip.

Last edited:

discomatt

Does the Disco have any suspension travel at the front when off road? The front wheels never seem to use any suspension travel. There are lots of examples in the video where the fronts don't move up or down at all, for example at 2:22 the left front is obviously off the ground and using TC. Several seconds later the right front is off the ground and the left one is driving. But there is no travel in the suspension. It is supposed to be like that?

As to the traction control, I think the driver must have had it turned off or at least the wrong setting. It looks like it must have been on a sand setting to allow a lot of wheel slip.
It does loose articulation when its at full extension height which it looks as though the Defender is, thats the down side of air suspension, the higher you push it the less travel it has, no idea if the Defer is worse than mine in that respect. I normally drive at +35mm when off road so its not to bad and when I need more lift there is another 15mm plus another 25 if I want maximum height. On road I leave mine at -15 from normal height which is the standard height for 100 mph or more
Who knows what setting he has the TC on, doesn't look like rock crawl to me but no way of being sure

callmejoe

The more I see and read about them , the more I think yeah maybe my next play toy, they tick alot of box's for me.

Then I remember it's a land rover.....

But then again I must just go there, maybe, one day, someday.

boobook

Land Rover has definitely put a lot of thought into features and accessories for the Defender. This is obviously a marketing video but there are some nice touches here.

You could equip your new Defender with accessories at the dealer for any application without ever having to spend a cent at a 4wd shop, bike shop, kayak shop, camping shop, baby shop or pet store.

It really is innovative. IMHO the heratige is showing through with the accessories, they seem to have taken the lead from old defender owners add ons but done in the factory instead of the garage.

It's very innovative and is the most viable contender for 4wd of the year I have ever seen.

I just hope they focussed on the reliability as much. There is a lot of electronics and info-entertainment packed in there, not something LR is very good at doing reliably apparently.

So far so good IMHO. No, I take that back, So far so great.

Last edited:

discomatt

Some well thought out accessories but it would all come with an eye watering price tag once you started ticking the boxes.
I so really hope they have sorted the reliability issues , I am not talking about a little glitch that needs a fix when you get home because to me thats a none event as long as there are no show stoppers that leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere and leave owners with no confidence it will get you home.
Not a really good start though, I saw a video review linked to aulro an owner had done, his threw a fault code on the way home from the dealer, dealer wasn't sure at first look so sent him home for another booking down the track if it re occurred, he found the issue at home, a loose hose, it could happen to any manufacturer but not a good start

Warby

So far so good IMHO. No, I take that back, So far so great.
Absolutely agree. From what I've seen so far, I love everything about this - except the price tag haha. If I were shopping for a vehicle in that price range though, I'd definitely take this over anything from the likes of Toyota et al.

Reliability remains to be seen, but TBH these days that isn't something which really bothers me too much in a new car. I think that we've reached a point where 99% of the vehicles rolling out of the lot will be absolutely fine. You'll get the occasional niggly issue, or you might get really unlucky and score a lemon (from any manufacturer), but that's what warranty and consumer law is for. (different story if shopping second hand obviously, then reliability rates much more importantly for me)

Some well thought out accessories but it would all come with an eye watering price tag once you started ticking the boxes.
TBH this aspect of the new car market both baffles and annoys the **** out of me. They're already making a profit on the sale of the vehicle - why do they try to also price gouge you on everything else at the same time? If anything, given that I've just forked out tens of thousands of dollars for the vehicle, I'd expect to be able to save a little bit by purchasing other stuff from the dealer at the same time but it's the opposite. They charge like a wounded bull for anything from window tint to floor mats. Couple this with them also wanting to pay well below market for anything you might be trading in so that they can double-dip for extra profit there too and the whole thing just stinks. (I'm going through the process of possibly buying a new car at the moment.... sorry for the rant. Definite foul taste in my mouth about the experience haha)

Albynsw

Absolutely agree. From what I've seen so far, I love everything about this - except the price tag haha. If I were shopping for a vehicle in that price range though, I'd definitely take this over anything from the likes of Toyota et al.

Reliability remains to be seen, but TBH these days that isn't something which really bothers me too much in a new car. I think that we've reached a point where 99% of the vehicles rolling out of the lot will be absolutely fine. You'll get the occasional niggly issue, or you might get really unlucky and score a lemon (from any manufacturer), but that's what warranty and consumer law is for. (different story if shopping second hand obviously, then reliability rates much more importantly for me)

TBH this aspect of the new car market both baffles and annoys the **** out of me. They're already making a profit on the sale of the vehicle - why do they try to also price gouge you on everything else at the same time? If anything, given that I've just forked out tens of thousands of dollars for the vehicle, I'd expect to be able to save a little bit by purchasing other stuff from the dealer at the same time but it's the opposite. They charge like a wounded bull for anything from window tint to floor mats. Couple this with them also wanting to pay well below market for anything you might be trading in so that they can double-dip for extra profit there too and the whole thing just stinks. (I'm going through the process of possibly buying a new car at the moment.... sorry for the rant. Definite foul taste in my mouth about the experience haha)
nah,the cream. $ are in the up sell of accessories and vehicle servicing, they don’t make that much on the vehicle

Paddler Ed

Only $239 for a Ranger Defender, special reduced price, limited offer
Who said you cannot afford one!
You can't find it on the BigW website, you need to use the set number:

boobook

There is something wrong with the TC, up to and around 2 mins - and later too, it is just not working right and delivering power to the wheels in the air. Either these people need to read the manual or LR has to fix the TC. Given the amount of time the wheels are off the ground, it would have to work better than that. I am sure it's operator error. It really looks like it is in sand mode where it should allow wheel spin like that. It was the same in the earlier video too. I think it's the same driver.

It appears to be working about as well as a early 2000's 4wd TC like a Disco 2 or an early Prado. That would be an issue without diff locks.

Last edited:

discomatt

There is something wrong with the TC, up to and around 2 mins - and later too, it is just not working right and delivering power to the wheels in the air. Either these people need to read the manual or LR has to fix the TC. Given the amount of time the wheels are off the ground, it would have to work better than that. I am sure it's operator error. It really looks like it is in sand mode where it should allow wheel spin like that. It was the same in the earlier video too. I think it's the same driver.

It appears to be working about as well as a early 2000's 4wd TC like a Disco 2 or an early Prado. That would be an issue without diff locks.
This is the 2nd time this video has been posted and the 2nd time you have made the same comment about the TC.
I agree the suspension is supper stiff, as mentioned before thats the pay off of air, I would rather lift a wheel than spend 1000's of km driving a lifted 4wd that uses more fuel due to height handles poorly due to center of gravity being so high, spending literally 1000's on aftermarket suspension and never being able to fit in low height areas.
That Defer has no diff lock, that is obvious, after owning a D4 and a D2 I can assure you the TC is miles ahead in the later models. The most wheel spin is around the 6 minute mark and onward. We must be watching different videos because at the most there is about 5 rotations of any one wheel, not a lot given the terrain and it is a totally stock 4wd with factory rubber. If you go to about the 8minute mark I have seen twin locked patrols running 35 muddies that would struggle to get up that without using the load pedal, in comparison the defer 100% stock walked up with no fuss all while the steering is on full lock. EVERYONE who knows anything about 4wding knows full lock, steep climb over rocks on side angles with loose dry dirt will give major traction issues.
There I have taken the bait and had a little rant

a1bert

Now i am not the greatest 4 wheeler, but initially i thought when watching the vid, does he know how to drive, it seemed so bad!
I just felt the vehicle was ok but the driving, not so

dirvine

As I said before, the LR TC works best with riding through the brakes, when doing rock climbing. It stops the kangaroo hopping. Trouble with this is the idiot behind the wheel does not know how to drive a LR, and as Discomatt said its stock. Let see a LC do that in show room stock set up. Also I am unsure about the US specs, but my thought was that all Defers had a rear locker. Maybe its switchable?? (not ususally on a LR).