New Defender arrives at Spain, Video, Defender X

CaptainBanana

You still don’t get out the door under 100k

Edit : Sorry just found a base model for 80k, getting closer to the opposition I suppose

At 80k you're maybe competing against 200 series grey nomad buyers... I'll wait to see one in the wild, just like I'm waiting for a 200 and raptor to appear off road.

Last edited:

dirvine

In regards to the wiring, I think you will find the defender specs state some sort of water proof rating. As for being a Chapel St vehicle, (note Chapel Street is nowhere near Toorak, (I live in South Yarra), I doubt very much they will be used by the rich wealthy Toorakites. Too cheap a car. I see very few Discoveries driving down Toorak road, and except for mine I have not seen one ever parked in the Car park behind the shops. Rangie is the entry model for the wealthy.
We can all speculate about what it will be like etc, but until it arrives and with the ADR specs, we are only speculating. When I was in London recently I saw one in the flesh at a Landrover dealer. His comments to me were that what he is selling here (ie in london) will probably not be what is sold in Australia, due to our different safety requirements and also our climate. On the AULRO web site there are many discussions about imported vehicles and that some of the standard items of our cars are not present in their theirs and vice versa. So until a Defer arrives in the flesh and registered in Aus, why criticise? Perhaps the fear that it will be so much better in every respect than any other 4wd on the market now is making people have the jitters. Everybody rubbished my previous 4WD but it did every iconic track in Australia and Tasmania, and its retail price was $24K, a 1/3 of the price of a Jap make. I had many people come and shack my hand, take pics etc as they just could not believe it could do the tracks/trips, and it never let me down or ever flat bedded or towed. If the Defer stacks up I will certainly look at it as a replacement for my D4 as I like the unsurpassed comfort of LR and the practicalibilty of the boxy shape.

mikehzz

There was a youtube on some woes with the 2 litre disco sport motor. I assume they are using the same motor in the Defender? Apparently the motor gets flooded with fuel for a dpf burn, it thins the oil causing the ecu to call a reduced service interval service. The service interval on the motor is 30k but its been calling for a service at around 10k due to thin oil. There are instances of very early engine failure due to the thin oil. Video below, try to ignore the anti Land Rover crap and take in the facts about the motor...

CaptainBanana

There was a youtube on some woes with the 2 litre disco sport motor. I assume they are using the same motor in the Defender? Apparently the motor gets flooded with fuel for a dpf burn, it thins the oil causing the ecu to call a reduced service interval service. The service interval on the motor is 30k but its been calling for a service at around 10k due to thin oil. There are instances of very early engine failure due to the thin oil. Video below, try to ignore the anti Land Rover crap and take in the facts about the motor...

This was similar to Mazda cx5 diesels, it doesn't use an additional injector and instead richens the mixture across the board causing oil to rise. Mazda simply set their burn to happen at a different point in the drive cycle and problem gone, my Mazda 6 using the same motor did 40k, most towing my caravan and never had oil rise... All going well they might be able to adjust it too.

mikehzz

I reckon the Defenders might have ended up like the "Bluesmobile" off camera after that sort of punishment... :)