New Defender arrives at Spain, Video, Defender X

Bomber2012

Ha Ha your a character Luke but thats what I like about you.
Just out of curiosity what is a serious 4wd out of the modern offerings ?
State of the art meaning
the most recent stage in the development of a product, incorporating the newest ideas and features.
"a new state-of-the-art hospital"
synonyms:modern, ultra-modern, futuristic, avant-garde, the latest, new, the newest, up to the minute; More
I think that sums up the new Defender
Haha, we all have different opinions.
Overpriced look at me car , won’t see any in the bush mate they will all be parked up on Chapel st

shanegtr

I want something reliable , LR's are possibly the most unreliable , prone to breakdown vehicles ever put on the road
I think Jeep takes that crown:p For the record, my disco 3 while having a few faults in the past has only once been on the back of a tilt tray in my possession due to a failed rear wheel bearing. 14yrs old with nearly 320,000km on the odo

mikehzz

I know 4 people who can't wait to get their hands on one and go remote....and I only know 5 people all up. I reckon people who currently own Land Rovers and use them off road aren't concerned too much about reliability, I know I'm not. Every generation of new car has more electronics that are more reliable than the previous generation. It happened with aviation. Planes used to crash a lot without electronics, now it's the safest form of travel....as long as it's not a Boeing 737 Max. :)

discomatt

It's not the computers that are the problem, it's the wiring between them. Maybe that is what the underbody protection is for.
No sorry that is totally wrong, the biggest and only real issue new LR's have are cheap plastics , coolant connections , manifolds and that sort of thing that fail. All you need to do is replace them at the 7 year mark and they don't fail . They have very few issues that any other cars have, failed wheel bearings, failed alternators and that sort of thing. Very rarely do they have an electrical sensor fail that will leave you stranded.
But hey what would I know.

discomatt

I think Jeep takes that crown:p For the record, my disco 3 while having a few faults in the past has only once been on the back of a tilt tray in my possession due to a failed rear wheel bearing. 14yrs old with nearly 320,000km on the odo
My D4 is nearly 7 years old and nearly 80,000km with never one break down or even a restricted performance moment , in fact the only warning I have ever seen is a low windscreen washer .
Now I have done it, better sacrafic a goat, do some hail Mary's and touch my woody

mikehzz

My son has had a Jeep Cherokee for 10 years and just traded it for a new one. It can't have annoyed him too much. I had a Jeep for 8 years too and would buy another one. There's so much self perpetuating crap on the internet we're drowning in bullshit.

peterfermtech

No sorry that is totally wrong, the biggest and only real issue new LR's have are cheap plastics , coolant connections , manifolds and that sort of thing that fail. All you need to do is replace them at the 7 year mark and they don't fail . They have very few issues that any other cars have, failed wheel bearings, failed alternators and that sort of thing. Very rarely do they have an electrical sensor fail that will leave you stranded.
But hey what would I know.
Is there such a thing as Landrover Sensitivity Syndrome?
Just following on from the general discussion about ECU/computers failing and pointing out that the wiring is more likely to get damaged than the computer failing. I'm speaking from personal experience as I backed over a very large stick and pulled the wires off my auto. Wish I had all that plastic underbody protection.
regards

shanegtr

My son has had a Jeep Cherokee for 10 years and just traded it for a new one. It can't have annoyed him too much. I had a Jeep for 8 years too and would buy another one. There's so much self perpetuating crap on the internet we're drowning in bullshit.
I've only got first hand information from a work mate who brought the first of the 4 door wrangler diesels. Didn't even make it out of the dealers yard before it shit itself dumping diesel everywhere. When he got it back it broke down again within a week (ECU fault from memory), took jeep nearly 3 months to sort it out - he then traded it when he got it back. In 3 months of ownership he only had it in his possession for around 2 weeks. Kinda goes with all the B/S on the internet and Jeep Australia's massive reduction in sales from a few years ago. People bag Land Rover, but I haven't heard all that many horror stories floating around regarding the current crop of vehicles in their range. Sure theres the odd one around but nearly every manufacturer seems to have one