• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

New Defender arrives at Spain, Video, Defender X

rob_macca67

Well... that will be interesting to how it goes long term for those that actually use it like the old defenders (if you're game to).... That full length underbody protective plate looks to be made out of some fibre compound of sorts - I'm sure that will last a short time before it falls off due to the weight of the build up of sand/mud etc, then the chances of it getting ripped off would be pretty good on rocks, etc. The exhaust where it passes between the rear control arms looks to be the lowest point so its bound to cop a few dents as well... but this is only if the potential buyers actually try using it like the old defenders though...

I like the interior of it and I'm sure the exterior will grow on me but it will be a VERY LONG time before I would even consider looking at one to buy... For me its got to prove its reliability long-term 1st...

Albynsw

Well... that will be interesting to how it goes long term for those that actually use it like the old defenders (if you're game to).... That full length underbody protective plate looks to be made out of some fibre compound of sorts - I'm sure that will last a short time before it falls off due to the weight of the build up of sand/mud etc, then the chances of it getting ripped off would be pretty good on rocks, etc. The exhaust where it passes between the rear control arms looks to be the lowest point so its bound to cop a few dents as well... but this is only if the potential buyers actually try using it like the old defenders though...

I like the interior of it and I'm sure the exterior will grow on me but it will be a VERY LONG time before I would even consider looking at one to buy... For me its got to prove its reliability long-term 1st...

I think it looks great, it is still a distinctive landrover shape which they have lost with the Discovery.
Imagine how expensive proper aftermarket underbody protection will be , looks like they will require a lot of fabrication to fit, the Bullbar will require a lot of engineering as well but no doubt they will sort that out over time.

CaptainBanana

It looks great completely stock. I don't know what the deal is with all that composite underbody protection and how effective it is but you're not going to be replacing it with 3mm or 4mm steel that's for sure.

Also until you know what's actually under that you can't really say for certain that you need to have a full-length plate and I feel like it's more likely to do with Aero than actual protection.

This video certainly does make the car look big, the guy looks like a child in there.

callmejoe

I like it, something a little different. Love to look at one in the flesh.
I wondering about front "rated" or useable recovery points though. ?

discomatt

here we all go again, a heap of speculation with no facts...
It will be the same as the D4 with under body protection, standard stuff is better than most and unless you plan on doing some extreme rock crawling not much extra is needed and for those who want it there are options of 4-6mm alloy plate all aftermarket, very strong and not that expensive.
I love the look of it, a great looking 4wd that grows on me every time I see it

cam04

That’s flash as Michael Jackson. Another euro Uber wagon. I can’t see myself throwing cast nets and old bait in the back on Fraser though. I think my chances of seeing a twin cab version slowly going up in smoke. It’s too pretty for that I think. No doubt it will be a great drive.

Last edited:

discomatt

What do you want out of it? Its a new state of the art 4wd. Do you want another old style defender of which would not sell more than 10,000 a year world wide?
Maybe they should have built it like the old heap of crap or like a 70 half design full of short comings over priced heap of crap?
Maybe it should be like the old tin can that would kill you in a decent accident, struggle to go fast, struggle to stop, handle like a 1960 design falcon, not keep warm air in or cold air out, couldn't keep dust or water out and have the creature comfort of a tin can with 4 wheels bolted to it.
Up to you Rog whether you take shoes off or not but clothes of sum description are a legal requirement
Yes heaps of soccer mums will buy it but they also buy smokey pradoes and big wallowing 200's so what

CaptainBanana

What do you want out of it? Its a new state of the art 4wd. Do you want another old style defender of which would not sell more than 10,000 a year world wide?
Maybe they should have built it like the old heap of crap or like a 70 half design full of short comings over priced heap of crap?
Maybe it should be like the old tin can that would kill you in a decent accident, struggle to go fast, struggle to stop, handle like a 1960 design falcon, not keep warm air in or cold air out, couldn't keep dust or water out and have the creature comfort of a tin can with 4 wheels bolted to it.
Up to you Rog whether you take shoes off or not but clothes of sum description are a legal requirement
Yes heaps of soccer mums will buy it but they also buy smokey pradoes and big wallowing 200's so what
Pretty sure clothes are not a legal requirement in your car. Agree with the rest though, if it didn't need changing it wouldn't be a new model.

Bomber2012

What do you want out of it? Its a new state of the art 4wd.
I want something reliable , LR's are possibly the most unreliable , prone to breakdown vehicles ever put on the road , as far as "state of the art 4wd" you have got to be kidding ???? .
I"ll take the 70 series any day , at least I know I won't be stranded out on a remote track because a sensor has haemorrhaged .

As mentioned , in my opinion it is now an overpriced soccer mums car , they are a status symbol , not a serious 4wd . 4X4 Australia recently did a run from Esperance to Ceduna in LR's and had to send an English LR technician with the convoy for fear the LR's would shit themselves and leave the crew stranded , thats hardly "state of the art"........

dno67

For any vehicle to be good. it IMO should do what it was designed to do, realitivly problem free for ten to fifteen years (200k) from new. It pisses me off, when cashed up people buy new vehicles turning them over before the warranty periods even expired and then bang on how there good.

Last edited:

discomatt

Ha Ha your a character Luke but thats what I like about you.
Just out of curiosity what is a serious 4wd out of the modern offerings ?
State of the art meaning
the most recent stage in the development of a product, incorporating the newest ideas and features.
"a new state-of-the-art hospital"
synonyms:modern, ultra-modern, futuristic, avant-garde, the latest, new, the newest, up to the minute; More
I think that sums up the new Defender

discomatt

Stick one on a mine site for s few months, that will highlight where the issues will be
I would love a company to do that and give them a real workout because then I could now in the next 4-5 years if they are any good rather than waiting for 10 years like I did with the D4