New changes to 4x4earth - memberships, popups and ads.

Albynsw

Don't know, but check your email address on PayPal and your spam settings in your email account. Besides a confirmation email for every purchase, I also get a monthly statement. I hope you get those.
Yes whenever I make a purchase I get an email notification and I also get the monthly statement

Jason Watt

Yep - PayPal and their "auto renewal" scam.
I'm still waiting on a refund for a subscription elsewhere I didn't know was "renewed" every month.
Caveat Emptor!

CaptainBanana

Still logged in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200210_074000_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200210_074000_com.android.chrome.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 51

tommyb

On Google chrome on my laptop, can read one line of a post at a time. Ad's should be pinned to the top of the forum so that when scrolling they don't cover page content and the website can still be usable by non-members
Capture.PNG

Warby

... the website can still be usable by non-members

I think this point here has been forgotten... It's all well and good to monetise the existing member base, but if you ruin the user experience for people just stumbling on a post here from google you won't get any new members. This is the slippery slope that has led to the demise of many internet forums...

Just like any business, you have a sales funnel that needs to be considered here. You need to nurture people at each stage of that funnel to get them from "Random person ending up here from a link" to "Paid member" .. Trying to force everyone straight to the end of that funnel just turns people away. You'll have a loyal core of members with no growth, minimal new content and, eventually, no more forum.

Patriot

Administrator
So over the last couple of weeks since we started introducing the ads, traffic has been increasing, which is great!
We are committed to providing a good experience for everyone, except possibly for ad blocking non members. They won't post and don't see ads, so not worth a lot.
The team have been working through on fixing all of the issues. So far we have removed the red bell which annoyed a lot of people, we've fixed up a lot of the issues, especially on mobile. There are I think still a couple of issues with the ads, but just let us know what they are with a screen shot if possible and we will get it fixed ASAP.
There are still some ads outside of the forum. These are maps, tracks and a few other pages, so we are looking at a way of fixing this.
Thanks everyone for your purchases, patience, and subscriptions!
James

Patriot

Administrator
I had a similar issue not too long ago- except it was around 3/4 of the page
There are a couple of errant Google Ads, which we are trying to sort out. This one has been fixed as far as I know, let me know if it is still appearing.

darb

I'm all for turning off the ad blocker - but in the case of 4x4 Earth the adverts that keep popping up are either obscuring my view of the forums or compledtely crashing the tab and taking over the screen / freezing. That's on a high end i7 beast.

On my iOS device it does the same, it'll jerk or throw up a full screen popup that i can't get around, or have to close and reopen a window (in safari).

Other forums don't exhibit that issue

Not whinging, just feedback.

dno67

I'm all for turning off the ad blocker - but in the case of 4x4 Earth the adverts that keep popping up are either obscuring my view of the forums or compledtely crashing the tab and taking over the screen / freezing. That's on a high end i7 beast.

On my iOS device it does the same, it'll jerk or throw up a full screen popup that i can't get around, or have to close and reopen a window (in safari).

Other forums don't exhibit that issue

Not whinging, just feedback.

Im sure there's a blocker that will kill that offensive pop-up, just a matter of commiting time to find it. Not sure james would be so happy about it. haha
It's his forum to do with as he pleases, but needs to remember those that have been here for the long haul and contributed to the information that makes the forum attractive to others.
I still think the banner along with top and bottom of threads with a small post size add every 4 or 5 post replies apart would be a lot better nicer, but lm happy to sit back and watch how thing evolve. Iol

Warby

FYI this one blocks the screen and locks up on safari

View attachment 66192

That particular type of full screen ad on the phone doesn't bother me.. you click the "X" in the top right (assuming it works for you) and it's gone and you get to go ahead with your browsing... I'll take that any day over a popup that isn't well suited to the screen size or a faulty ad script that covers 3/4 of the screen and can't be closed

mikehzz

The ads have been the most poorly implemented feature that I've come across on any forum I visit, and they all have ads as a necessity to pay the bills. Blocking over half of every page will just kill the site by deterring new members. It's actually totally unacceptable on my phone, tablet and computer.

Albynsw

This^^^^^^
I don’t like to be critical of this great site but agree 100% with what Mike said
The ads here are a ridiculous impingement and would make me move on straight away if I visited

darb

Im sure there's a blocker that will kill that offensive pop-up, just a matter of commiting time to find it. Not sure james would be so happy about it. haha
It's his forum to do with as he pleases, but needs to remember those that have been here for the long haul and contributed to the information that makes the forum attractive to others.
I still think the banner along with top and bottom of threads with a small post size add every 4 or 5 post replies apart would be a lot better nicer, but lm happy to sit back and watch how thing evolve. Iol

yeah, i have ad blocker - but i have turned it off for this site so the owners can get the revenue they need. the trouble is, it's significantly reduced the usability of the site in doing so