New car stuff

Luthy

Okay so i just bought a new truck and was wondering what are some things to get done to it as a normal thing. So far i have only 2 main things to prolong the life of said truck:

Water fuel sperator/alarm
Diff breathers

Is there anything else i should look at as this is my first new truck and a desiel at that. Later is the dual batts, winch, light bar, lift etc. But for now some preparedness for the future 'what ifs'.
Cheers Luthy

smitty_r51

What truck?

When you did the diff breathers check the gear box and fuel tank breathers as they will be low as well

Luthy

W3ll only just ordered it the 2017 collie and havent got it yet but already thinking of buying the things i need to get it done. Might have to get an auto trans cooler too i think

nananut

If this is your first modern diesel, I suggest to find out if there is a DPF (and how to solve the problem if the light comes on), warm up the car slowly by driving not idling and check your user manual. Modern diesels don't like start-stop driving. Understand what the EGR systems are and how to deal with them. Deleting/blocking them is one option but it is also illegal to do so. A lot of people don't like the EGR system because of the problems it could cause. Prevention and regular maintenance also help! Also read this thread http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/warm-up-cool-down-among-other-things.40672/#post-527301

My Ranger has done 62000km since Dec 2014 and I don't have a problem with the EGR system which is not blocked. It doesn't have DPF. Prior to the Ranger, I had an Xtrail (done 85000km in 3 years) which had both DPF and EGR system. I only had the DPF light on once because it hasn't seen highway speeds for a month or 2 when I did a lot of start-stop driving. Only had the EGR valve problem once and it was a design fault more than anything else which was replaced under warranty. Most of the kms on both vehicles are country highway driving. I'm no mechanic so what I know is based on what other mechanics have said to do and I just get my car serviced regularly. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127481 one of the best threads I've read about EGR valves.

I think I've also opened a can of worms.....:D

Last edited:

BlueCollie

If this is your first modern diesel, I suggest to find out if there is a DPF (and how to solve the problem if the light comes on), warm up the car slowly by driving not idling and check your user manual. Modern diesels don't like start-stop driving. Understand what the EGR systems are and how to deal with them. Deleting/blocking them is one option but it is also illegal to do so. A lot of people don't like the EGR system because of the problems it could cause. Prevention and regular maintenance also help! Also read this thread http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/warm-up-cool-down-among-other-things.40672/#post-527301

My Ranger has done 62000km since Dec 2014 and I don't have a problem with the EGR system which is not blocked. It doesn't have DPF. Prior to the Ranger, I had an Xtrail (done 85000km in 3 years) which had both DPF and EGR system. I only had the DPF light on once because it hasn't seen highway speeds for a month or 2 when I did a lot of start-stop driving. Only had the EGR valve problem once and it was a design fault more than anything else which was replaced under warranty. Most of the kms on both vehicles are country highway driving. I'm no mechanic so what I know is based on what other mechanics have said to do and I just get my car serviced regularly. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127481 one of the best threads I've read about EGR valves.

I think I've also opened a can of worms.....:D
I don't believe the engine has been modified in the new collie so no dpf ;).

nananut

Without going nuts on accessories and mods first, another advice I'll give you is know your car, it's functions (and buttons) especially the traction aids and how they work. It's a very different skill set to driving an older vehicle.

Luthy

Yeah i have a set of muddies from the other car ready to go on it. Im just more after the bits and peices that will make the desiel last longer. Its coming with the winch compatible bullbar, bash plates stage 1,2 and 3, snorkel, fender flares, slimline wheather sheilds and the towing package. So i basically just wanna put a 2" lift on it and a winch and it will be ready to go. I will put the swag rack and awning of the rodeo on to it aswell. So im more after stuff like water seperator, maybe a turbo timer, diff breathers and trans cooler. Its more for the driveline im worried about.

Cheers Luthy

Albynsw

No one seems to worry about turbo timers on modern diesels, I was told they are not needed and I would not fit a tranny cooler unless you definitely need one
Remember every mod you fit creates a potential grey area for warranty claims so I wouldn't be tinkering with things unnessesarily

Jackolux

I got a ScanGauge to monitor my auto trans temp , I will be fitting a extra auto trans cooler ,that was on a 5 speed Dmax
also have extra fuel filter , catch can and EGR plate , plus a heap of other stuff
I wouldn't bother with a turbo timer .