new camping spit

lars cordes

so gave my new homemade spit/firepit its maiden run on the weekend, works very well im pleased to say

20220423_173059.jpg

Triton14

Hid you make it from scratch??

Looks heavy duty though, not sure I would want to carry it all the time!

boobook

Yummy. Nice.

I have a spit and make souvilaki sometimes. It's a great grazing meal starting from about 4pm when people wander back to the camp site. By adjusting the height it's easy to speed up or slow down the cooking and people can eat it when they like or you can keep putting the meat in the camp oven sitting next to the fire to stay warm.

lars cordes

Hid you make it from scratch??

Looks heavy duty though, not sure I would want to carry it all the time!
yeah made it from scratch (was inspired by ARB & a few other retailers versions) . yeah shes pretty heavy (5mm mild steel plate), comes in at about 30kgs, same as ARB's model, thought that all my air holes i drilled (96 all up) would shave a bit off but it only did about 900 gm ... did look at 3mm but thought it was too flimsy

lars cordes

Yummy. Nice.

I have a spit and make souvilaki sometimes. It's a great grazing meal starting from about 4pm when people wander back to the camp site. By adjusting the height it's easy to speed up or slow down the cooking and people can eat it when they like or you can keep putting the meat in the camp oven sitting next to the fire to stay warm.
souva's def gunna be on the menu, do u use lump charcoal or just normal coals ? found the wood we were burning didnt make great coals, but i think it may have been a touch green

smitty_r51

if you can move the control box/mechanism further from the heat it will last a lot longer...they tend to fail early because of the radiant heat coming off the fire.

boobook

souva's def gunna be on the menu, do u use lump charcoal or just normal coals ? found the wood we were burning didnt make great coals, but i think it may have been a touch green

Lol. Yep it can be an issue and takes practice. My setup is slightly different, and I make a small trench next to the main fire. I dump coals into that. Your setup would allow you to do that too. That way you can keep the main fire for heat and as a good fire.

As a rule, wood in the high country won't work, and I bring a small amount of charcoal. In the deserts, the wood is dry and hot enough to use in small quantities.

It's worth it. The ingredients are easy to store in the fridge and to prepare, it's easy to cook and entertainment for all. Find a Greek butcher and order a couple of kg of yiros, half chicken half lamb alternating the pieces on the spit. Everyone will tell you it's the best siuvlaki they've ever had.

Here is my tip for perfect cooking on the spit. Hold your hand over the fire at the level of the meat. If you can hold it there for 5 seconds it's too high / cold. If you can't hold it there for 2 seconds, it's too hot / low.

Last edited: