New BT50/DMax

cam04

Any experience? I’m chasing good or bad news. About to change work utes and the base model BT50 drop side twin cab Ute is leading the way so far in the box ticking exercise I am undertaking.
I didn’t think I’d end up looking that way but that’s what happens when you make a list and go in with open eyes.

CTL

Just bought a XTR. Very happy so far but only a week old. Basically a Dmax with an Mazda badge and from all accounts Mazda are better to deal with for warranty than Isuzu.

cam04

Just bought a XTR. Very happy so far but only a week old. Basically a Dmax with an Mazda badge and from all accounts Mazda are better to deal with for warranty than Isuzu.
My want list was the XTR in dropside but by the time the exercise was done it was pretty expensive due to them not offering it as a factory option. I’ve had a 4jji engined Ute before. These ones seem more than a little bit more powerful to drive. And quiet. I am hoping the HD suspension in the POV pack might be good enough for the canopy and gear. Time will tell.

hulsty

You can option certain BT50 models with BP51 suspension from the showroom. I've driven one with the factory bullbar/snorkel, interior/tech is nice, certainly gets up and goes to 80km/hr (I didnt go faster). Ride was decent, only thing I dont like (typical of all 4cyl utes) is the engine noise into the cabin when up in the revs.

cam04

You can option certain BT50 models with BP51 suspension from the showroom. I've driven one with the factory bullbar/snorkel, interior/tech is nice, certainly gets up and goes to 80km/hr (I didnt go faster). Ride was decent, only thing I dont like (typical of all 4cyl utes) is the engine noise into the cabin when up in the revs.
Yep. Saw that option. $6.5k or something. It’s just a work Ute that comes on holidays with me.

CTL

Certainly quieter than the 4JJ1 and a bit more power. Gear box has also been tweaked plus a revised trans cooler but haven’t towed yet. You will be stuck with the bumper bar staying under the tray unless the tray manufacturer has developed brackets for the rear cross traffic alert, some have, some haven’t

cam04

Yes, factory tray so rear under bumper. That’s ok. I’ve seen where the sensors and camera get relocated to also so if it irks me I can fix with some simple sheet metal. Mine will get full canopy, an under tray drawer and side under tray lockers as well so not much to see.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I had a PK Ranger crew cab, but not long after buying really wish I'd gone the extra cab / suicide door option.
I think the extra tray / tub space is worth it, and setting up a fridge behind pax seat in the cab works great.
Still, it served me well.

If you need a crew cab for family / other work related pax etc, suppose that's what you are looking for.

I'd definitely consider the Dmax, love Isuzu mechanicals.
I've heard all the modern autos are / can be problematic, and that was my experience with the Ranger too, autos very unreliable in that PJ/K model . . . this may have changed in newer models.
But I think I'd just go manual when looking again.

cam04

I had a PK Ranger crew cab, but not long after buying really wish I'd gone the extra cab / suicide door option.
I think the extra tray / tub space is worth it, and setting up a fridge behind pax seat in the cab works great.
Still, it served me well.

If you need a crew cab for family / other work related pax etc, suppose that's what you are looking for.

I'd definitely consider the Dmax, love Isuzu mechanicals.
I've heard all the modern autos are / can be problematic, and that was my experience with the Ranger too, autos very unreliable in that PJ/K model . . . this may have changed in newer models.
But I think I'd just go manual when looking again.
Our last PK is being traded next week also on a SR hilux. It has 270k kms on it driving around town. We have been pretty happy with it overall. I still have teens at home and rear seat space was high on the list, and, coincidentally the main reason why I didn’t go for the new hilux as well. The POV pack Mazda gets rear seat aircon, much better legroom and a power outlet over every other brand pretty much. The hilux also has stupid head height grab handles that don’t flip up so they snot you in the face off-road When in the rear seat. It is always the simple things.....
The dmax/Mazda auto is the same Asian box as hilu/fortuner/prado and other brands - ssanyong musso etc also get. It is pretty tried and proven and as mentioned above has new heater/cooler systems also. 1st to 3rd gears don’t have torque converter so plenty of low range will be used towing off-road.

Albynsw

Cam how did you find the various brands for performance? Is the Hilux much different to its previous tune with its improved killawasps ? Do the the various brands feel a bit same same in that regard?
I haven’t had a close look but think the new BT50 looks pretty sweet

CTL

55D28262-4A1B-451D-81E6-0E168423B969.jpeg

smitty_r51

still have to wonder how can mazda make such fabulous looking cars with aggresive lines and then release that as a their tough ute!

smitty_r51

Not a fan? I thought they looked pretty good, hated the previous model
it's better than the old one yes

although given the alternatives are the buck toothed hilux or the car the designers forgot in the triton i suppose it isn't all bad

mikehzz

When I was young there were a heap of cars I really liked the look of but couldn't afford to buy. Now I look at the current bunch of cars and wish they looked like something else.

cam04

Cam how did you find the various brands for performance? Is the Hilux much different to its previous tune with its improved killawasps ? Do the the various brands feel a bit same same in that regard?
I haven’t had a close look but think the new BT50 looks pretty sweet
Coming from 8 years in a 3.2 ranger I’m used to lazy torque. I drive new 500nm hiluxs a bit, we have a few at work. They are ok without being wow. The BT was a surprise. It is toey. There is a site called performance drive that tests all cars. They have the BT/Dmax at 9.5 secs 0-100 which is line ball with the 2.0 ranger and a second quicker than the new lux and the 3.2 ranger, and it feels like that on the road. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t remember the last time I put the foot flat to the floor in a 4wd Ute, but reading the reviews they carry on about it being down in power on the last one, but driving it is anything but. Plus if you want it is easy to extract big mobs from the old 3.0 if that is your go. There is a 4jji dragster at willowbank running 7’s.
I only drove the Ford, Toyota, dmax and BT50. Not interested in anything else - it has to last 8-10 years. They are throwing out VW V6’s if you are game - I’m not, we have a 2.0 at work and it is bad enough.
The Ford (XLS) is $47k drive away with the 3.2 auto. It is big and comfy and powerful, but to get the same amount of tech as the BT you need to buy an XLT with an optional tech pack and the price is back over $60k before you start adding the important bits.
Looks and perceived manliness in cars don’t bother me. I’m big and ugly anyway and have no use for a penis extension haha.

CTL

Yeah I reckon the TJM bar does nothing for the Dmax or BT50.
The bar on my BT50 is a Mazda genuine steel bar made by ARB. $2900 fitted. Rumour on social media is that ARB are developing a winch cradle for it but I have not been following the discussion as I won’t be wanting a winch.
ARB have just released a new roof platform which fits the MY21 BT50. I haven’t been game to ask a price.