New Bottle Jack and Tool Roll needed

can anyone recommend a good bottle jack, with a decent arm?
The one that came with the Patrol is a 1800kg jack,, I might put that in the other car and get a better one for the Patrol
Any recommendations on the bottle jack and a decent canvas tool roll would be much appreciated!

Baggs71

for a toyo oem size replacement id have to recomend sca 2000kg bottle....almost no size difference in height however has a little more reach if that helps...im removing my oem jack shortly and replacing with the 2000kg one as i did for the last toyo i had

yours is not toyo but the 2t bottle from sca seems good...but i am not a mechanic so its unqualified advice

FranksnBeans

I went through this a while back. I have an 80 Series on 33's and was looking for a suitable bottle jack. Apparently the Land Rover jacks fit perfectly and have enough lift to clear a set of 33's. They also have a cradle built into them which stops the axle sliding off them, or at least helps.

Unfortunately, many weekends spent driving around to wreckers to find one proved fruitless. Even though I called the wreckers ahead each time to confirm they had one. A bloke in the UK sells them new but they were $600+ with shipping. I think the Mercedes Sprinter came with the same bottle jack as standard but can't find one of those either.

I ended up with a 8000kg sca bottle jack which is overkill, and as I found out recently has plenty of lift distance to clear 33's, but with a completely flat tire I was unable to get the jack under the axle in the first place. Luckily my compressor was fast enough to raise the axle in spite of the leak and I got the jack under there. The search continues.

what do you guys recommend to keep in the car to put the bottle jack on when off road?
Just a block of wood ? Id imagine for sand and mud it would have to be fairly big to cover a wider area to make it stable?

John U

I bought a 6000kg Bottle Jack from Repco on special, seems to work OK - much better than the scissor jack which was a pain to try and use with a fully loaded 4x4 on a dirt track.

cheers
Hey @cookie64
Any reason in going for the 6000kg one? As you'd only be lifting one corner of the car could you get away with less than that for the average 4wd?

FranksnBeans

Hey @cookie64
Any reason in going for the 6000kg one? As you'd only be lifting one corner of the car could you get away with less than that for the average 4wd?
I know you asked someone else but I can explain why I went with a larger capacity bottle jack. It's a clearance issue.

A 2000kg sca bottle jack only has a lift height of 346mm whereas the 8000kg one lifts up to 478mm. The 2 tonner doesn't lift the axle high enough to get a fully inflated 33 inch tyre onto the studs, especially if the jack is in a slight depression or is in softish ground and sinks a bit.

Rusty Panels

Many of the aftermarket are ok. I have a 20 tonne that I bought from a cheap shop years ago for an International Acco tip truck I had. It still works fine and is actually smaller (by that I mean shorter, it is considerably fatter) than the original bottle jack in my old Hilux.

Last edited:

John U

I know you asked someone else but I can explain why I went with a larger capacity bottle jack. It's a clearance issue.

A 2000kg sca bottle jack only has a lift height of 346mm whereas the 8000kg one lifts up to 478mm. The 2 tonner doesn't lift the axle high enough to get a fully inflated 33 inch tyre onto the studs, especially if the jack is in a slight depression or is in softish ground and sinks a bit.
Sweet. Something to consider.

The repco site had a 4 or 5000kg jack. Was a bit cheaper but I imagine it’ll be lighter and take up less space, which would be great if it still did the job. It needs to do the job though.
I’ve got 2 inch lift and 25mm radius increase in tyres.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey @cookie64
I figured that for the small extra cost I would rather go as large as I can I carry a fair bit when I'm out on a 4 week trip, making it easier and quicker to raise the corner - it's not a race, but when it is 40+ outside then I don't want to be hanging around struggling to change a tyre, at least these days I don't carry spectators that prefer to watch me changing a tyre instead of helping.

boobook

I got one of these Atlas 46 Tool Rolls from the US. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, and definitely not cheap, but I like tool rolls over other storage and in that past have had many that either don't fit things or just break after a short while.

https://www.atlas46.com/products.html#!/Yorktown™-Quick-Detach-Tool-Roll/p/135398342/category=34912316

There is a cheaper non detachable version available in Australia - and bigger versions also available in the US.

I ordered it a few months ago on a Friday, and had it here in Australia on the next Tuesday. Faster than shipping from Melbourne to Melbourne LOL

I can fit my breaker bar and large tools in it as well as sockets, long spanners etc. It uses velcro to hold the pouches so I can take what I want to where I am working. Some may think it's too expensive, but it is miles ahead of anything else I have had in 40 years for storing tools, electrical stuff and spares in a vehicle. You can get the brand in Australia but with very limited range, and slightly more expensive.