New 79 Landcruiser, the modern day dinosaur or TOYOTASAURUS REX

discomatt

Why do Disco 4's have Rooftop tents?

Somewhere to rest till the tow truck turns up.

:)
As a mod I can delete and un delete as I see fit, don't worry I have a thick skin, also a nice van so I can be comfortable , I can also survive in the desert for 2 weeks without the need for civilization , even longer if there is a stinky well I can suck water up and put through the filtering system stuff a roof top and one fridge you would have to be mad :p

Last edited:

boobook

As a mod I can delete and un delete as I see fit, don't worry I have a thick skin, also a nice van so I can be comfortable , I can also survive in the desert for 2 weeks without the need for civilization , even longer if there is a stinky well I can suck water up and put through the filtering system stuff a roof top and one fridge you would have to be mad :p

I did think it was strange that my post had been modified.

So let me get this right.

I posted somthing, then changed my mind 2 mins later and deleted it.

Then as a mod you decided to undelete my post, and leave it there.

Is that right?

Are you also reading my PM's including the one about that post?

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

I had a neighbour who was absolutely loaded, he owns a large earthmoving business that he has built up himself but was funded entirely by royalties that the family receive from a property they once owned. The family sold the property to a mining company on the proviso that they receive royalties on the tonnage after the sale. They still get 10 cents per tonne on the 6 daily trains that cart 3,000 tonne each and the continuous line of B Doubles that run throughout the day.
He told me once that "You are in charge of your own destiny" I said "that's true to a point but, it sure as hell helps if your born into a wealthy family!" He looked at me with disgust and walked away.

boobook

I had a neighbour who was absolutely loaded, he owns a large earthmoving business that he has built up himself but was funded entirely by royalties that the family receive from a property they once owned. The family sold the property to a mining company on the proviso that they receive royalties on the tonnage after the sale. They still get 10 cents per tonne on the 6 daily trains that cart 3,000 tonne each and the continuous line of B Doubles that run throughout the day.
He told me once that "You are in charge of your own destiny" I said "that's true to a point but, it sure as hell helps if your born into a wealthy family!" He looked at me with disgust and walked away.

Yep getting wealthy is a combination of luck and hard work. And most of the wealthy people work really hard at being lucky most of the time.

discomatt

I did think it was strange that my post had been modified.

So let me get this right.

I posted somthing, then changed my mind 2 mins later and deleted it.

Then as a mod you decided to undelete my post, and leave it there.

Is that right?

Are you also reading my PM's including the one about that post?
No I can not see PM’s
I saw he post as another LR bash which was deleted as no doubt you thought it was inappropriate , possibly on a few levels, I thought it was funny and had no issue with it
so put it back for you.
If you prefer I can and will happily delete it again if that is what you want

denk

View attachment 72926

Picked up my new 79 Dual cab a couple of weeks ago to replace my 2012 model after clocking up 260k on her. I ordered it about 9 months ago rather reluctantly as I was quite happy with my current one so my heart was not in it but with second hand prices running so hot it made financial sense to make the change now.
It is a funny thing buying another vehicle almost identical to your current one that is going on 10 years old, there are very few vehicles that you can still do that. With all the shortcomings that the 79 offers there is still nothing that compares with it on the market which is a shame. I still have a romance going with an Iveco Daily and may end up there a bit further down the track as a tourer.

The most noticeable change with the new 70’s is the cup holder, the owners manual is now a two page document with a picture of the vehicle on the cover showing you which end is the front plus a couple of arrows pointing to the key components of tyres x 4 and a steering wheel. On the reverse side there are instructions on how to use the new cup holder.
Just a bit of history for some of you may not realise but the 79 series has been around for a long time and predates the cup. You used to just collect and drink water that landed on the bonnet. The cup was later invented by a fellow named Ronald McDonald, he actually invented the cup by accident when he was looking for a third item to be included in his Happy Meals. Toyota thought it was just a passing fad and the cup would go the way of yo-yos , slinkies and dingbats but it persisted for many years and Toyota finally caved in to peer pressure and reluctantly developed a cup holder.

The other notable change is the radio, AM plus there is this new thing called FM, I am not sure what that is but will find out. Of course there is the other great invention the cassette, there is a vast selection of tunes available through your local Vinnies and Salvation Army music stores. None of this squashed / compressed music nonsense, that doesn’t sound very reliable.to me and probably just another fad.
The speakers are reminiscent of speaking through two jam tins with a string between them but I must say the hollow ring compliments the cabin noise beautifully
The seats are identical to my old ones with a fabric covering that looks like the lounges in my nanna‘s nursing home

Now to a couple of minor changes
- Freewheeling hubs are a nice touch so you don’t have to get out in the mud or water to lock your hubs
-The gearing is taller which I like, at 100kph I am doing 400 rpm less than my old one which is nice and it feels more comfortable doing 110 than before
-It has a traction control for onroad use that disconnects when using front/ rear factory lockers or low range
-It has hill start assist now as well which will probably be kinder on your clutch in tough conditions
-Injectors are now Piezo instead of Denso which are quieter and I believe offer better fuel efficiency ( haven’t done comparative figures yet)
-The brakes are much improved from my old one and are happy with them
-cruise control is standard now too so don’t need to carry the stick I used to wedge on the pedal.
- I now have a DPF but don’t know if that will change anything in my life.
- the turbo must be a bit different as well because they are producing better numbers than previously with a remap.

I have done plenty of mods and there are more to come. We intend on hitting the road shortly for 3 to 6 months to see what it is like and whether we want to rent the house out and live longer term on the road
I was a bit ho hum initially about the new vehicle but since driving it I am in love with it and are surprised how different it feels for a vehicle that is essentially the same as my old one.

The love affair continues……
beautiful ride mate. Enjoy! I hope it gives you years of great trips :)

peterfermtech

No I can not see PM’s
I saw he post as another LR bash which was deleted as no doubt you thought it was inappropriate , possibly on a few levels, I thought it was funny and had no issue with it
so put it back for you.
If you prefer I can and will happily delete it again if that is what you want
AKA Sentinel

Albynsw

bit of an update
Worked our way around the Gulf via Hells Gate.The reason it is called Hells Gate was during early settlement days the police did not provide any support or security past this point until you reached Katherine WA.
We spent a week at Lorella Springs Wilderness Park, a 1 million acre cattle station which you can go anywhere you like. The place is amazing with the diffent terrain and 4wding plus is full of gorges, hot springs, mountains and ocean frontage to explore, the fishing is sensational too. Highly recommend the place and we will definitely be back.
Moved on up the western side of the Gulf through Limmen National Park towards Arnhem land. Our entry permits were delayed so we were waiting it out at Mataranka when our daughter in Darwin got word she was relocating to Broome for work so we made a made dash up to Darwin for a few nights to see her before she left.
With permits now on hand we backtracked south to start our Arnhem land adventure. This didn’t last long when we came back into reception to receive a text saying my father was in a bad way in hospital and not expected to last the night ( the text was now 48 hours old :oops:)
Fortunately he was stIll hanging on and we hotfooted it back up to Darwin for the first plane to Sydney. We made it back before he passed and will stay here until he is laid to rest and then fly up to pick up our vehicle later.
It has been a pretty rough few days and certainly not part of our itinerary but you have to roll with the punches ………

discomatt

Sorry to hear of you loss Alby, condolences to you and your family.
We did Lorrella Springs in 2018 on our Kimberly trip, fantastic property that you could spend months on, we only had 5 days which was nowhere near enough

Albynsw

Losing someone is never good but my father was 93, in good health and lived a good life with a glass half full type of attitude. A few days before he died he was still chowing down a big serving of dinosaur ribs at the local club. He had all his paper maps out on the kitchen bench enjoying reliving the memories of where we were on our trip.
My father did several laps around Australia with his mate who was also a close friend of Len Beadell and did a number of expeditions with him.

So whilst it is still very sad I am very comfortable with the situation

RIP Dad.

Albynsw

Sorry to hear of you loss Alby, condolences to you and your family.
We did Lorrella Springs in 2018 on our Kimberly trip, fantastic property that you could spend months on, we only had 5 days which was nowhere near enough

Thanks Matt, there are a number of people who go to Lorella for months at a time year after year. We met up with one couple from Victoria who are there for 8 weeks just camping and fishing, they have been doing it for the last 12 years to escape the Melbourne winter
We will go back for again for sure.

Rusty Panels

Losing someone is never good but my father was 93, in good health and lived a good life with a glass half full type of attitude. A few days before he died he was still chowing down a big serving of dinosaur ribs at the local club. He had all his paper maps out on the kitchen bench enjoying reliving the memories of where we were on our trip.
My father did several laps around Australia with his mate who was also a close friend of Len Beadell and did a number of expeditions with him.

So whilst it is still very sad I am very comfortable with the situation

RIP Dad.
It's always sad to lose a family member or friend for that matter but, 93 is a ripe age and no doubt well lived. I lost my Dad just over 12 months ago at the age of 91. He had been suffering from dementia for several years and it was very sad to see a man who was a University Lecturer in computer programming and a wizard of anything electronic reduced to a poor old man who was amazed by the technology of the zipper on his jacket.
In my Dad's case at least, it was a blessing to see him pass. I know he would have hated being the way he was.
I hope I don't last that long.

Albynsw

We flew back to Darwin to pick up the ute to continue our journey
We decided to leave Arnhem land for later and head west to WA as we had some time commitments to meet over there
The Gibb River road was busy at the start, El Questro was ridiculous and resembled a Woolies carpark so turned around and left to find some quieter camping spots out of the way. All the major publicised attractions we’re getting a workout although it was much quieter up at Mitchell falls end as the caravan brigade are scared off by the road conditions
There are three tilt trays keeping busy running picking up broken vans, trailers and vehicles and the tyrefitter near Mt Barnett does alright too
Found some pretty nice riverside campsites along the way

46A05FCE-8A87-4827-A8C9-61A8C6FD2C51.jpeg

A06731C2-6316-41A8-AAE9-80146169D5FD.jpeg

boobook

We flew back to Darwin to pick up the ute to continue our journey
We decided to leave Arnhem land for later and head west to WA as we had some time commitments to meet over there
The Gibb River road was busy at the start, El Questro was ridiculous and resembled a Woolies carpark so turned around and left to find some quieter camping spots out of the way. All the major publicised attractions we’re getting a workout although it was much quieter up at Mitchell falls end as the caravan brigade are scared off by the road conditions
There are three tilt trays keeping busy running picking up broken vans, trailers and vehicles and the tyrefitter near Mt Barnett does alright too
Found some pretty nice riverside campsites along the way

View attachment 73957

View attachment 73959
Nice spot. Great sunset. Hope things are getting back to normal.

discomatt

That road to Mitchell falls is certainly a car tester, we saw multiple busted cars and vans on the road and soon after, not good considering its only 80km each way, if your car has major issues on that I think the engineering needs to be rethought....
Great to hear the trip is back on track, enjoy and stay safe

boobook

The section past King Edward River is a rough ol track all right. But I don't think it's any worse than dozens or hundreds of similar tracks. Not far past there, the road to Kulbaru is crappy. And have people ever been out to Greencape? That's supposedly suitable for 2wd but boy that challenges every muscle in your body. I didn't see that coming.

I think the main problem is that Mitchell Falls is well worn by inexperienced tourists who go too fast and wreck their ( or the rental company) vehicle. How many 4wds do you see on the GRR doing low altitude flying?

Last edited: