New 79 Landcruiser, the modern day dinosaur or TOYOTASAURUS REX

Albynsw

4436D38C-2BB7-4E35-A34E-6CB3752C1A1F.jpeg

Picked up my new 79 Dual cab a couple of weeks ago to replace my 2012 model after clocking up 260k on her. I ordered it about 9 months ago rather reluctantly as I was quite happy with my current one so my heart was not in it but with second hand prices running so hot it made financial sense to make the change now.
It is a funny thing buying another vehicle almost identical to your current one that is going on 10 years old, there are very few vehicles that you can still do that. With all the shortcomings that the 79 offers there is still nothing that compares with it on the market which is a shame. I still have a romance going with an Iveco Daily and may end up there a bit further down the track as a tourer.

The most noticeable change with the new 70’s is the cup holder, the owners manual is now a two page document with a picture of the vehicle on the cover showing you which end is the front plus a couple of arrows pointing to the key components of tyres x 4 and a steering wheel. On the reverse side there are instructions on how to use the new cup holder.
Just a bit of history for some of you may not realise but the 79 series has been around for a long time and predates the cup. You used to just collect and drink water that landed on the bonnet. The cup was later invented by a fellow named Ronald McDonald, he actually invented the cup by accident when he was looking for a third item to be included in his Happy Meals. Toyota thought it was just a passing fad and the cup would go the way of yo-yos , slinkies and dingbats but it persisted for many years and Toyota finally caved in to peer pressure and reluctantly developed a cup holder.

The other notable change is the radio, AM plus there is this new thing called FM, I am not sure what that is but will find out. Of course there is the other great invention the cassette, there is a vast selection of tunes available through your local Vinnies and Salvation Army music stores. None of this squashed / compressed music nonsense, that doesn’t sound very reliable.to me and probably just another fad.
The speakers are reminiscent of speaking through two jam tins with a string between them but I must say the hollow ring compliments the cabin noise beautifully
The seats are identical to my old ones with a fabric covering that looks like the lounges in my nanna‘s nursing home

Now to a couple of minor changes
- Freewheeling hubs are a nice touch so you don’t have to get out in the mud or water to lock your hubs
-The gearing is taller which I like, at 100kph I am doing 400 rpm less than my old one which is nice and it feels more comfortable doing 110 than before
-It has a traction control for onroad use that disconnects when using front/ rear factory lockers or low range
-It has hill start assist now as well which will probably be kinder on your clutch in tough conditions
-Injectors are now Piezo instead of Denso which are quieter and I believe offer better fuel efficiency ( haven’t done comparative figures yet)
-The brakes are much improved from my old one and are happy with them
-cruise control is standard now too so don’t need to carry the stick I used to wedge on the pedal.
- I now have a DPF but don’t know if that will change anything in my life.
- the turbo must be a bit different as well because they are producing better numbers than previously with a remap.

I have done plenty of mods and there are more to come. We intend on hitting the road shortly for 3 to 6 months to see what it is like and whether we want to rent the house out and live longer term on the road
I was a bit ho hum initially about the new vehicle but since driving it I am in love with it and are surprised how different it feels for a vehicle that is essentially the same as my old one.

The love affair continues……

Last edited:

peterfermtech

Now I know where 4x4earth got its colour scheme from. Actually I had a HT panelvan that was a similar colour. Loved it as it never needed to be washed.
Congrats. May red and brown dust fill every crack and cover every part of it.

boobook

Nice Alby. I read it's a lot happier at 100 and 110 kmph with the new ratio.

Most people don't realise they swapped to piezoelectric in 2015. Dunno about the 70, by my economy is 1 to 2lph better overall than my old one, and tons better under load towing or off road. I'd say 15 to 20% longer range off road.

As to the DPF, my 2016 exhaust is as clean as the day I bought it in 2016. Touch wood not a single drama. The only possible downside is the note is not as good as a pre dpf. Except for a batch in the 1st half of 2015, it is one of those non owner issues.

Enjoy that extra cup holder. You have to hand it to Toyota, they provide outstanding value.

discomatt

Congrats, looking forward to seeing the rest of the fit out , I am sure there are big things planed for it.
When you go long term grey nomad I assume you will tow a van, what do yo have on that front?

Albynsw

Congrats, looking forward to seeing the rest of the fit out , I am sure there are big things planed for it.
When you go long term grey nomad I assume you will tow a van, what do yo have on that front?
Definitely won’t be towing a van, we are happy living a bit rough and being in touch with nature
We are doing a RTT and carrying a tent to set up for more permanent arrangements
This may change over time of course but we like the simple things
We hired a Motorhome last year and drove to Darwin and realised how much we dislike the caravan style lifestyle
If we need more room it will be a travel truck

Last edited:

BonZa

I'm curious to know about the service history of your old 79. did it still have the original injectors and glow plugs, did it have a catch can? and anything that needed repairing?

my16 has a cup holder, but only for one cup. have they now upgraded to two

Lost1?

Whilst quite dated, my exposure to IVECO in transport (light trucks and line haul fleets) left me with a few scars. I know one of the blokes on here has run a prime mover and was happy with it. But the ones I managed had electrical issues about 3 years in (sometimes sooner) or the cabins started falling apart.

Drive lines were solid though.

Albynsw

I'm curious to know about the service history of your old 79. did it still have the original injectors and glow plugs, did it have a catch can? and anything that needed repairing?

my16 has a cup holder, but only for one cup. have they now upgraded to two

I replaced the injectors at 180k as one was borderline and developed a leak from rear end main seal at 250k ( $2 part but a bit of labour involved)
Removed and cleaned the manifolds at 190k as well.
Vehicle still solid and my son drives it now.

Albynsw

Join a few Iveco owners groups before seriously considering one. I wouldn’t touch one having now seen what the owners are going through.

Yes I have heard, they are the Landrover of the trucking industry ( Landrover integration into thread tick :) ) That does worry me but I really like the overall vehicle concept. The Japanese variety are probably a-safer bet but you are sitting on the motor and lose the walk thru cab aspect the iveco offers
Will see how things pan out

CTL

Yes I have heard, they are the Landrover of the trucking industry ( Landrover integration into thread tick :) ) That does worry me but I really like the overall vehicle concept. The Japanese variety are probably a-safer bet but you are sitting on the motor and lose the walk thru cab aspect the iveco offers
Will see how things pan out
A couple of truck-camper mobs make a walk/crawl through on the Jap trucks, not as easy access as the Iveco but lets you avoid getting wet at times

Albynsw

A couple of truck-camper mobs make a walk/crawl through on the Jap trucks, not as easy access as the Iveco but lets you avoid getting wet at times

Yes I have seen those and whilst not as good would be acceptable. The other negative aspect is because you are over the motor the cabin noise increases if you have a crawl through on the jap trucks whereas it is not such an issue with the forward motor of the iveco
The other aspect is the Iveco seems a bit easier to get in and out of

Reliability is the concern

Reactions: CTL

cam04

I saw one of the camper mobs had a new euro 4x4 truck out testing the other day (Kym bolton’s co if anyone remembers him from winch challenge racing - I certainly remember trying to race teams like his - no chance haha) I’ll see if I can find it again.

edit - found it. It’s a GAZ - 42” rubber, centrally inflated.
The company is AAV4x4

Attachments

• 800628BD-39CF-46A8-99EE-9CCF47061BAB.jpeg
    800628BD-39CF-46A8-99EE-9CCF47061BAB.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Albynsw

I saw one of the camper mobs had a new euro 4x4 truck out testing the other day (Kym bolton’s co if anyone remembers him from winch challenge racing - I certainly remember trying to race teams like his - no chance haha) I’ll see if I can find it again.

edit - found it. It’s a GAZ - 42” rubber, centrally inflated.
The company is AAV4x4

They look impressive. My immediate concerns would be your buying an orphan here with them and a bigger concern is the width. They are nearly 300mm wider than the competition which concerns me on tight tracks

Toyasaurus

My old Bronco wasn`t that much wider than a normal 4x4, that was a big enough pain the the ass.

Good 4x4 tough.

cam04

They look impressive. My immediate concerns would be your buying an orphan here with them and a bigger concern is the width. They are nearly 300mm wider than the competition which concerns me on tight tracks
Weld up one of those Russian exo cages haha. It makes a cruiser look pretty small, definitely a valid concern.

Chatty

You used to just collect and drink water that landed on the bonnet.
The new 300 series continues that tradition with that massive rain collection gutter down the middle of the bonnet.
At least, that's what I think it has to be - I can't see any other reason for taking an ugly vehicle and turning it into truly fugly.