New 4x4!

Dirty D-Max

Hi all,
Nick here, from Canberra ACT
Just recently bought a 4x4 21’ D-Max
Looking to go to flea creek on Sunday with the fam. Anyone have the best way to get there
Cheers

John U

Welcome Nick.
I’m not familiar with the area. It’s always a good idea to have some maps of the area if you’re going bush. Is there a good map shop in Canberra?
Outdoor shops often have a good range also.
Post up some pics of your new 4wd.

Dirty D-Max

78C46B80-A4C7-4860-AB97-D992FAC764AC.jpeg

Aza013

Welcome to the forum Nick
Sorry I to con not help with your question.
In the way of maps your local info hub would be a good place.
well done on the Isuzu as well.

Dirty D-Max

Welcome Nick.
I’m not familiar with the area. It’s always a good idea to have some maps of the area if you’re going bush. Is there a good map shop in Canberra?
Outdoor shops often have a good range also.
Post up some pics of your new 4wd.
Just hoping the road isn’t too bad still running the highway terrain tyres

Aza013

Now that comes down to what you want to spend.
what is good for some ppl is bad for others.
as long as they are LT rated and in your price range give them a go.
Im running BF Goodrich KO2’s but they are a little up there in price.
There is a thread on tyres you should have a read of, should give you some info to help.

cam04

The dmax will be on at’s from the factory? Grand trek AT22’s? Fine for a few day trips here and there. They aren’t light truck tyres but they aren’t HT’s either. Standard tyres on 200 cruisers etc that fleet users smash all over the countryside.

Dirty D-Max

The dmax will be on at’s from the factory? Grand trek AT22’s? Fine for a few day trips here and there. They aren’t light truck tyres but they aren’t HT’s either. Standard tyres on 200 cruisers etc that fleet users smash all over the countryside.
Yeah their a dueler H/T tyre

Dirty D-Max

Yeah their a dueler H/T

2luxes

Yeah their a dueler H/T
Our current touring Hilux was ex Government. It came with split rims and worn out tyres that were a lot older than the car. I bought new standard size Goodyear Wrangler TG tyres and Michelin tubes for the split rims, then bought second hand Nissan wheels and new standard size HT tyres.

The HTs were supposed to be used on sealed roads only but they ended up doing a hell of lot of off sealed road driving that included the Oodnadatta Track without any problems.

I now have just the ATs on the Nissan wheels.

I am not suggesting you go everywhere on your HTs but they are not completely useless in all off sealed road conditions.

Any tyre can get a puncture, even the heavy MRF cross plys with sidewalls around an inch thick. You will see them on places like the huge Outback cattle stations. I would recommend anyone getting into 4WD driving should learn how to fix punctures and preferably from the inside. Many externally applied plugs are not legal on the street.

To see what is involved, have a look at the tyre repair section on the Beadell Tours website.

Albynsw

Tyres are the first thing but your current ones might meet your needs in the short term depending on where you are planning on going. A snorkel is not really of value unless you are planning on water crossings

cam04

What should I get next for my dmax
Was thinking a good set of ATS or possibly a snorkel or something like that
In the case of your particular car with the front induction setup they have I recommend the factory snorkel setup over any of the aftermarket ones if you need a snorkel at all per the above post. From factory they delete the front induction run and the associated piping and throw away the bottom half of the air cleaner box, then install all new gear to suit the snorkel run, with a nice water trap and drain in the new bottom half of the filter housing. From the owner's forums, some aftermarket gear is done OK, some is just downright nasty - and that's from name brand installs.
I got the snorkel because even though they have water traps in the front induction setup, for the $800 odd it was for a snorkel seemed like cheap insurance.
With car mods, try to think of a completed picture and work towards that rather than 'what to get next'.

Aza013

A good set of recovery points front and back, snatch strap, shovel and recovery tracks would be my first things on the list.
That way if / when you get stuck you can get out. We have all been there lol.