Nevercool 60litre fridge.

red hilux

A couple years back I bought myself a ridge rider / never cool fridge from super cheap. I bought the 60 litre fridge. It has the 20 litre draw and 40 litre top.

I love the layout. Drinks on bottle, food on top. Best thing about food on top is you can spread it out and choose what you want. It’s long not deep

The negative. Needs a nuclear power station to run it. Draw about 70w in cool weather and has peaked but over 90w in summer.

What I’ve learnt from this fridge that I can pass onto others. Look inside the fridge before you buy. If you can see the coils inside the fridge. It’s an efficient fridge. If you can’t see the coils ( like in my case, stay away ). Why do I say that.
Now this is my own opinion from observing my and a mates fridge. The coils you can see is cooling inside the fridge. The coils you can’t see is cooling the internals of the walls and then having to cool the fridge. This is not efficient. My 60 litre fridge can run for 1.5 to 2.5 hours to cool my food down, and having to cycle very often in hotter weather.

I’ve installed 250w of solar and 200ah just to run the fridge. In summer, this is not enough I can get a couple days if I’m lucky but I will need to start the car for a top up b

Now. My modification I’ve done and in the process of doing.

I’ve changed the internal computer fan to a more efficient in turn if amp draw from the stock fan. The new fan also is bigger and a higher air flow. When it’s in the car. I like it hard up on the left side. Down side is the hot air from the fridge pushes that way, so I’ve installed a 120mm side blower fan to extract that air. Between the new internal fan and blower fan, I have great air flow. I would say more than double the from compared to the stock fan with spacing around it

I’ve insulated the crap out side the fridge. I’ve installed a small blower fan for inside the fridge. But I think the biggest trial thing I’ve done is to remove some of the internal walls and try to expose coils inside the fridge.

A quick test tonight, using a laser thermometer as a tester. The where I’ve removed the aluminum wall, you can now see ice as it’s cooling down. -23. The side that’s original is at 10.

I think I will strip more of the internal wall off soon

RBJET

A mate of mine runs the same fridge and seems to have the same issue, the compressor runs 24/7.
I've sent him your story for a quick read to see if he can make his more efficient.

red hilux

I will take a couple pics more this arvo if I get a chance.

I started working on it last night. I thought I would quickly just do the lid. Now it’s 3/4 done and I haven’t taken pics lol

Last edited:

red hilux

7C673A3F-C1B7-45B5-94F6-E9B448B576C5.jpeg

I thought I would try and expose the coils. Not what I was expecting but just removing that top made a great improvement
EBFF2BCD-2A00-4A08-BAFC-0AB62741A80F.jpeg

157D283B-6147-4881-8B5E-FB661CD1D1D5.jpeg
Small blower to help circulate internal air

71B202B1-9E91-4E40-A4BA-D9CFEE368743.jpeg
A95DF151-8C5A-412A-B0F2-B4A0BD58CFA5.jpeg
Upgraded internal fan and blower fan to te direct air to where it can work better

833EB5E7-D479-4AC7-A9E4-8932DAA35D74.jpeg
E4956427-B9C7-4BE6-9011-C70AD8DBC665.jpeg
833EB5E7-D479-4AC7-A9E4-8932DAA35D74.jpeg
Trying to foam wrap, then insulate, then fit the factory bag.

Another thing I will be doing is angle grind the outside skin to cause a seperation from the rear of the fridge to the front.

Had some insulation there before and what I’ve found is the compressor gets hot, radiates on the outer skin and then cause a heater inside the insulated area

Attachments

• F0109114-50C4-4A81-BF1E-630EC86D99FE.jpeg
    F0109114-50C4-4A81-BF1E-630EC86D99FE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111

red hilux

Another down side to the internal coils, the fridge thermometer is inside too. Not an accurate gauge.

I can freeze water in the bottom draw while having it set to 4

RBJET

That's a lot of mucking around for something that should work off the shelf.
I really like the layout and almost considered buying one but glad I didn't now.

red hilux

After all that work. I’ve just cut thru a gas pipe.

What a stupid place to run a pipe, but helps explain why it’s a shit fridge.

I looked inside to see where the pipes enter the fridge. Before cutting, but what I want expecting was the pipes that are there to cook the fridge is resting agains the outside metal casing and not close to inside the fridge.

The external casing gets bloody hot as the thing has to run for so long and now your running your cold pipes against it

dno67

Sounds like it should have been turned inside out, to work more
efficiently. Or plumbed in reverse. lol

red hilux

bit of a strip down. Hopefully understand why and where I went wrong.

Where I know. Why, I don’t know

157CAADF-32A4-4894-90CF-9A3BE8051633.jpeg
CB82B225-DC6C-4378-A2BD-98D60EF260E7.jpeg

I’m trying to work out why we have these pipes running against the outside skin C15A92AE-D9BD-49DE-8418-173913FD8992.jpeg
Here you can see the pipes again the inside skin.

To me. The assemble the fridge, then pour liquid foam to fill the gaps.

Inside. You can see 3 pipes going into each side of the fridge.

The only thing I can think of is 2 pipes is to cool the fridge. The other pipe wraps against the outside skin around the whole fridge and enters back via the other side of the fridge.

My only guess for this. Using the hot surface to help turn the liquid to a gas for the compressor.

Then this raises other questions.

Why make a fridge bag. IF this is the case. The a fridge bag will help trap the hot air in. Not let it escape

Attachments

• 9DC79425-ABD5-42B6-AA53-B143B64B28AA.jpeg
    9DC79425-ABD5-42B6-AA53-B143B64B28AA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Tink

Seriously, I would be sending those photos to EvaKool and asking the exact same questions.
Looks like a quality control issue in the factory. These fridges are made in Asia and your photos may be good feedback for EvaKool.
I would be interested in hearing their repsonse.
Tink

McGinnis

Seeing those pictures makes me seriously reconsider getting the 40L Evakool drawer fridge for my 76... thanks for sharing them. I hope Evakool can offer an explanation.

red hilux

I haven’t gone to them. And I probably won’t.

It won’t do any good. I wouldn’t use them again and I wouldn’t take anything if they offered.

sharkcaver

I haven’t gone to them. And I probably won’t.

It won’t do any good. I wouldn’t use them again and I wouldn’t take anything if they offered.

Quite a lot of people love their neverkools. I have a FM70, and whilst it's ok, boy does it chew the juice. On that point alone, I would be wary going down the neverkool route again. Once bitten......

stevemc181

I'm running one of the Kickass fridges, made by Evakool, dual zone 89 litre. Works ok for me and pretty happy with the setup. I usually run one side as a freezer -14 and the other side as a fridge set to +1. It doesn't seem to draw an excessive amount of power, but I never really monitored it much as I'm on the move everyday and don't often camp for days at a time in the same place. I used to run 2 x 40 litre engels, but much prefer the setup I have now.

Swaggie

Quite a lot of people love their neverkools. I have a FM70, and whilst it's ok, boy does it chew the juice. On that point alone, I would be wary going down the neverkool route again. Once bitten......

I'm starting to think the digital side is a lot power hungry than the rotary dial (which I converted from). It may cycle more chewing into the power...

Mines the RF60 and ive found it to be a fantastic fridge.

sharkcaver

I'm starting to think the digital side is a lot power hungry than the rotary dial (which I converted from). It may cycle more chewing into the power...

Mines the RF60 and ive found it to be a fantastic fridge.

Yep, thats why I mentioned others love their evakools.....Some love their FM70's too, but I dont think I've heard a bad word re the RF60.

For the record, my FM70 is rotary dial, non digital. Being digital or rotary dial shouldn't make a difference (unless the dial doesn't keep up with temp changes as often as the digi??)

Swaggie

Yep, thats why I mentioned others love their evakools.....Some love their FM70's too, but I dont think I've heard a bad word re the RF60.

For the record, my FM70 is rotary dial, non digital. Being digital or rotary dial shouldn't make a difference (unless the dial doesn't keep up with temp changes as often as the digi??)

Yeah mate I was told the dial is better efficiency wise compared to digital by the fridge mechanic, he made that one clear.. I didn't even think to question him by how much... Personally I think the digital cycles more often hence the power..

Is it still under warranty if not Any chance of selling it and maybe get a second hand RF60 .. Don't forget an Engel 60 litre is about 20 kilos heavier, I wouldn't attempt to it pick up alone but the RF 60 is light.
Have you run the amps on high and Low and checked the amperage...