Need more light.

JEK99

Hey guys how’s it going? Central South America here.

I have a 20” spot led light bar mounted behind the grill and 4 Hella Rallyes with 100W halogens mounted on the back (up top). I am looking to get the same or more light output with two lights mounted on the front of my bumper. The reason I’m taking the Hella’s off is because it really affects km/l (mpg) when cruising 140km/h.

Any suggestions?

Triton14

Id recommend some HID's.

The way I have set up my rig is I have a LED light bar for the close & some Narva 50W 225 HID's in pencil beams for the further,

If I a in dense bush I will turn off the Narva's & just run the bar, on the highway/open road turn off the bar to stop glare from signs but can see the critters further out.

In open paddocks, both on.

Suits what I do perfectly but you can also get a pair of mixed Narva's, one pencil & one broad beam although that's why I have the bar.

Last edited:

Lost1?

I run 55W HID IPF 900XS. Spread beam is my choice. It gives me about 600m of usable light and doesn't have a narrow beam dancing on the road as the ute moves around on its suspension. Good enough for cruising at 100k in kangaroo country at night. I am thinking about a roof mounted bar for bush work. But generally don't travel off road after dark so can't justify the spend.

JEK99

lift your foot to see better mpg :cool:
Yeah, but you lose time and time = money

Jumping from 28” original to 33” tires has also massively affected my mpg.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I will try something along the HID route. Seems the 2.5’s on my BT50 ride best around 120-140km/h on these dirt roads down here, but yeah, lots of wildlife and I’d rather not run into a group of wild pigs at that speed. I really enjoy the Hella’s on top because I can actually see how big the potholes are instead of trying to judge by shadows.

Lost1?

The speeds you are quoting when travelling on dirt roads are.pretty high. I am thinking the problem is your suspension is to hard, forcing you to drive faster than the conditions would permit.

Lighting set up for me would be light bar on the roof with HID at the front.

Albynsw

I have recently replaced my 9 inch Lightforce HID‘s with Nova LED’s and they are far superior and wouldn’t go back. I also ran a small lightbar with my HIDs to give me more spread but have taken that off too as you don’t even know it’s on with my new lights.

discomatt

When it comes to driving at speed you will always get negative responses from an Australian based forum due to the constant brain washing we have to endure that speed kills, sadly most Aussies now actually believe that to be true.
Maybe you would get better economy if the light bar was on the roof and the round spotties were in front of the grill

JEK99

I’ll see if I can get a video one one of my weekly trips, whenever there’s traffic I always slow down and if I drive on narrow roads with bush on the sides I go slow, but sure, on fairly open dirt roads I cruise 120-140kmh. Never though through populated areas or areas I haven’t been before. I don’t think it’s unsafe, but I guess that’s for everyone to decide themselves. How fast do you australian guys normally go on good dirt roads?

discomatt

Depends on the car but I average 80-100km/h the fastest I have towed on a dirt road is 120 the fastest I have ever driven on dirt is about 140 for an extended period max speed ever hit on dirt is 160 but that made me very nervous and it was more to get a feel of it than anything else.
Some people hate speed some love it, fastest ever on black top in a car is 200 on a bike 220

Lost1?

On a good dirt road, smooth and a width of 3=4 vehicles, 100 sometimes 110. On dirt roads I am routinely loaded close to GVM. Once conditions change like narrower road, corrogations, potential washouts, variable conditions I adjust tyre pressures and drop to 80 or less subject to conditions.

Lost1?

Like Alby said there are plenty that go faster dirt roads. The next person to go past me on a dirt road won't be the first. But I am comfortable that I can handle the vehicle at the speeds I am travelling. Whilst I might have had to use a bit of opposite lock on occasions or tap danced on the pedals when a surprise obstacle has appeared in front of me I haven't forced anyone to take evasive action, speared off the road into the scrub or broken suspension components due to excessive speed for the conditions.

Anyway, now we have successfully taken this thread off topic. How about we get back to your question. Light bar up top and HID out front is what a couple of us have recommended. Maybe 2 light bars noting you have a 20 inch bar fitted to the front of your vehicle. Just set the light bar back far enough that the spread beam doesn't light up the dust that will settle on your windscreen, making it harder to see.

There are plenty of HID conversion kits. Don't fit anything above 55w as the light pattern will be visibly inconsistent (bright patches and darker patches). There are one or two on here who can explain the detail of why. But that is the consistent guidance that those who know provide. Good luck.

Albynsw

@Lost1? have you compared the current range of LED to HID? I wouldn’t waste my money on HID from my experience they are second best now.
My HID Lightforce are in the shed collecting dust now

discomatt

@Lost1? have you compared the current range of LED to HID? I wouldn’t waste my money on HID from my experience they are second best now.
My HID Lightforce are in the shed collecting dust now
Agree, will never go HID again, absolute crap when compared to anything else that is decent quality and the worst light for sign reflection , dusty or foggy conditions forget you have them

Hoyks

So not pushing 0.45m square through the air is going to make a huge difference when you're already pushing a bit over 4 to 5m square?

In a perfect world in order to double your speed you need spend 4 times the power, so try driving at 120 and enjoy the savings.

For light output, look at what the Dakar teams are running now, all LED light bars for bulk reliable light.

Lost1?

Not the latest stuff Alby. I am tracking some of the lightforce stuff is pretty good, has been for a while now (5 years or so) but $700-800+ for something I felt would meet my needs is more than I wanted to pay at the time. 3 years ago I bypassed LED for HID. I already had the IPF 900XS spread beams. So upgraded them with 55w HID. I used to lean toward the 130w halogen pencil beam but found the lights dancing all over the place a bit tiring if doing a long night time stint. And to be fair 600m of usable light is enough. From memory at 100km you are travelling at about 36m per second, so you have close to 15 seconds to identify and react to what is coming your way.

I have a mate who is running STEDI 8'5 inch driving lights on their ute. He is happy with what he got for his money and he gets similar usable light (distance) to myself. They throw a wider beam close to the front of his vehicle than mine do. But not enough that I am rushing out to replace what I have. If I start to do more night driving off road or in remote areas I would consider investing in a pair of laser LED light bars for the roof and sell the IPF's. There is usually a young bloke trying to piece together their first vehicle who can use that stuff.

I know, you aren't supposed to run driving lights above a certain height. But the roof mounted solution would suit me best. I would probably run a three stage switch to link them to high beam or have them permanently on, depending on conditions. So far I haven't felt the need as I generally pull up on dusk unless driving routes that have reasonably frequent traffic at night. The HID's do the job I require for now. Driving through remote areas that lack fencing to keep cattle or other large critters off the road is enough for me to stop for the day. Not to say my needs will never change, they haven't changed just yet to justify the spend.

Matt my mates Stedi 8.5 LED's seem to produce a similar level of glare. So much so he doesn't use them close to Melbourne. Anytime you are running powerful lighting in the 5-6000 kelvin range you will get that I guess. Glare caused by light reflecting off dust particles or fog is nothing new with any driving lights. There is a reason why amber light covers improve night vision in dust or fog. Sometimes I just have to slow down.