Necessary to carry a second air compressor?

madmonk

A recent camping trip to Tailem Bend for the Australian Scout Jamboree gave me time to give serious thought on how I have my Landcruiser set up for camping and touring. The one thing that stood out the most is that even with an increased GVM, I am still carrying too much weight (and would definitely be over when I add the wife and two kids to the payload). So now I am on a weight reduction program and looking to making big and small changes to help achieve my goal.

One item that I have always carried on trips is a second air compressor and air hose as a spare in case the compressor fitted into the engine bay fails. However I have never had the main compressor fail and am thinking that carrying a second compressor may be a bit of overkill?

So as per the title, should I leave the second compressor at home?

mac_man_luke

Guess it comes down to where and how you travel?

Do you travel with others most of the time? or solo?
How remote do you travel? is limping to a servo etc a possibility if you cant air up?

Its not uncommon to have compressor issues eg hoses / wiring etc but most of the time there is a way around it eg borrowing one or keeping your speeds down till you can air up.

madmonk

Guess it comes down to where and how you travel?

Do you travel with others most of the time? or solo?
How remote do you travel? is limping to a servo etc a possibility if you cant air up?

Its not uncommon to have compressor issues eg hoses / wiring etc but most of the time there is a way around it eg borrowing one or keeping your speeds down till you can air up.
I tend to travel by myself most of the time. As I am a novice to 4wdriving, I haven't done a lot of remote/serious travelling but as my confidence grows, I am looking to expand my destinations. Having said that, it doesn't take much travel time to get into areas around me where you may not see another vehicle for hours and be quite distant from services.

The other factor is that I am not the most mechanically capable person. I can carry out basic things like repairing a tyre and doing an oil/filter change but wouldn't have the first idea about repairing something like a broken CV or a brake issue. So I sometimes rely on redundant items rather than assuming I can fix the damage to the primary one.

Toddyh

I don't know anyone that carries a second air compressor. I do a bit of remote solo travel. Yes I would ditch it.
In a worst case scenario where you have staked 2 tyres, your compressor has failed so both are deflated and you have managed to plug one but now can't reinflate it. You could always break the tyre bead, spray in a bit of deodorant and light it. That would give you enough inflation to get out of trouble I would think.

Jackolux

I don't know anyone that carries a second air compressor. I do a bit of remote solo travel. Yes I would ditch it.
In a worst case scenario where you have staked 2 tyres, your compressor has failed so both are deflated and you have managed to plug one but now can't reinflate it. You could always break the tyre bead, spray in a bit of deodorant and light it. That would give you enough inflation to get out of trouble I would think.
I have seen plenty of YouTube video's doing just that , it would be interesting just how much pressure a tyre actually had in it after doing that
I reckon Toddyh you the man , give it a go and report back

discomatt

keep the spare at 60 psi and have a hose that can be rigged up between the spare and a flat if your that concerned about a compressor failure.
Over 10 years of 4wding and never had a compressor just stop dead so I wouldn't carry 2

mauriceb

Depends where you travel and if you have others in the group . Pry to 2015 I always did extremely remote trips on my own and carried lots of gear food, water and repair equipment. Always had a 2nd compressor as well as 2 communication devices, Sat and HF. Since then I met two top blokes on this forum and one on EO who I plan trips and travel with. So now carry less and share a few things. Must say one of them carry's two camp oven's and known's how to use them.

boobook

My ARB compressor failed on a long remote trip. I had to rely on others for 3 weeks. It was a pain. So I put in 2 completely separate compressors feeding the tank. Bonus was that it was twice as fast.

sharkcaver

I've always carried 2. An ARB onboard and a portable just in case. Never had to use the portable but it's there just in case. Travelling remote and solo means I take what I think I may need. You can be assured though, Murphy will dictate that the thing you dont take will be the item you need. It's the old "if it doesn't have 2 uses, don't take it" scenario. I call BS on that. If it only has one use, and you need it, then you need to take it.

mauriceb

Well there a still traveller's that go real remote and would prefer to be safe than sorry and not activate an epirb . This doesn't include the Canning, now a unsealed freeway and social event at every Well.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I had a airhose fitting blow when airing up after a Simpson ( or whatever it is now called) crossing
I managed to sort it out with a hose clamp that I carry in my kit
Not that you would’ve stranded their , you either wait for someone to come along or drive slowly into town