My first 4WD (Hilux LN106R)

OneHilux

OneHilux, great job on doing her up. I recently had a single piece tailshaft made up to suit my LN106R. Universal Driveshafts did some amazing work for me. You make it look like that shaft has just come out of the pro workshop! What did you pull it out of - a LN167? How's it treating you? Has this beast hit the road yet?
Thanks Groovy Bloke, yes the shaft came out of an ln167. It has a greasable yoke at the top so depending on how much grease is in the there the length of the shaft can change, so exact lengths of the two shafts were no big issue and it fitted well. Glad you liked the paint job too, I probably put a bit too much effort in considering no one will see it when the tray is on haha

unfortunately it’s not on the road yet, but I’m really itching to get it registered soon. I can’t test it out yet though, but I’m glad you noticed a difference in yours. I have heard a few reports of the single piece tailshaft removing vibrations on the road, so it’ll be interesting to give it a good drive with it in.

Groovy Bloke

Thanks Groovy Bloke, yes the shaft came out of an ln167. It has a greasable yoke at the top so depending on how much grease is in the there the length of the shaft can change, so exact lengths of the two shafts were no big issue and it fitted well. Glad you liked the paint job too, I probably put a bit too much effort in considering no one will see it when the tray is on haha
Well it will suit the rest of your ute that you've done up well. Given how much space they have underneath, I'm sure some enthusiasts will get a look in.

unfortunately it’s not on the road yet, but I’m really itching to get it registered soon. I can’t test it out yet though, but I’m glad you noticed a difference in yours. I have heard a few reports of the single piece tailshaft removing vibrations on the road, so it’ll be interesting to give it a good drive with it in.
I hear ya a bit there. I'm down south in an area where we're not allowed to go 4wding or camping at the moment. Even missing the long freeway drives! One day not too far off ideally. Would like to get some more 4wd "testing" in. They're great vehicles, reliable on road and off road.

Last edited:

OneHilux

Tray is back and finally all bolted up, hopefully for good this time. Time to wire in some resistors for the tail lights, start saving for a new exhaust, and repair that rusty door.
feels as if it’s finally getting somewhere, looking like a Ute again! Better not get too excited though, there’s plenty more to do...

53311A81-433B-4EB7-8078-331B26494621.jpeg
F16A4163-4EA9-40C3-AFF3-573B9C907EF5.jpeg

SFA hilux

It has a greasable yoke at the top so depending on how much grease is in the there the length of the shaft can change, so exact lengths of the two shafts were no big issue and it fitted well
Just be careful about filling up the greasable yoke. It’s a slip yoke and being bolted to the gearbox and the tailshaft is what dictates the length of the shaft, not how much grease is in it. That shaft needs to be able to slide in and out, as the springs are compressed and the diff gets closer to the tray the tailshaft needs to get shorter. If it’s full of grease it can’t compress and puts all the pressure on the gearbox. Only need enough grease to keep it lubricated.