My dual cab won't start after changing the prefilter-suspect air lock/bubbles in fuel line

Landy79

Hi all,

I'm reaching out to this forum again for some help in resolving my fuel system related issue.....
Vehicle : Landcruiser 79 series dual cab 2015 - bought new.

This afternoon I replaced the (Donaldson) pre factory filter replacement - as i have been doing this in the past 4 yrs. This filter is located 'before' the Toyota factory filter.
One thing I did differently -to the dozen times previously - was only HALF FILLED the brand new Donaldson filter with diesel. Screwed it back to its mount, started the ute no problem first time, kept the rpm between 900 to 1200 rpm - as I have done on previous occasions. However after about 30 seconds the engine stalled / stopped. Attempted to restart it, engine cranking but wouldn't start -did this twice.
Prime the fuel line at the factory fuel filter housing, still wouldn't start.........
Decided to change the factory fuel filter (genuine Toyota filter), prime fuel line until the black button is firm, reset engine code etc.......attempted to restart engine, cranking/turning but still no go.....

I.e. Suspecting that I have managed to introduce an "air lock" in the fuel system somewhere......
I noticed after I've changed the factory fuel filter I couldn't get the priming button firm as it normally should be........is this an indication of the abovementioned "air lock" ?

Apology for the long post......but if anyone can suggest the next course of action would be much appreciated......

Thanks in advance
Justin

Hoyks

Unlikely you have an air lock, more likely there is just air. Diesels don't run well on just air.

It takes a lot of pumping of the primer to get the air out of the filters. It helps if you take off the fuel line that is on the engine side and pump until you get fuel coming out there, then re-connect it and pump a bit more. It can be done with the lines all connected, but then you're pumping against air in the lines with a bit of pressure, just easier if the air can vent straight to the atmosphere and you can see when straight fuel is coming out.

Pumping the primer while cranking the engine can also help, Pump away like you're doing CPR and once the injection pump gets the fuel it will be able to keep sucking it through and purge any air.

Another possibility is that the filter isn't seated correctly and is sucking air, could be that the old rubber seal has been left behind, new seal is twisted or just not tightened enough.

Not unheard of, but the diaphragm in the primer can crack and leak air.

Albynsw

Mine has done the same in this situation
Pressurise the fuel tank at the filler with a rag and compressor hose while priming the fuel pump to get past the air lock and you are good to go

Landy79

Hi Hoyks,

Thank you for instructions/suggestions. OK, I've done the following as per your reply above :
1. Pumping the primer while cranking the engine can also help, Pump away like you're doing CPR and once the injection pump gets the fuel it will be able to keep sucking it through and purge any air. -- did this a couple times about 1 to 2 minutes per attempt, engine still won't start, she's just cranking....

2. Another possibility is that the filter isn't seated correctly and is sucking air, could be that the old rubber seal has been left behind, new seal is twisted or just not tightened enough.--- double triple checked the filter position and tightness of cover, new rubber seal that comes with the filter fitted.

3. Not unheard of, but the diaphragm in the primer can crack and leak air. --- not sure how to verify / check this. Maybe just replace it with a new unit ?

4. It takes a lot of pumping of the primer to get the air out of the filters. It helps if you take off the fuel line that is on the engine side and pump until you get fuel coming out there, then re-connect it and pump a bit more. It can be done with the lines all connected, but then you're pumping against air in the lines with a bit of pressure, just easier if the air can vent straight to the atmosphere and you can see when straight fuel is coming out. --- is this the fuel line FROM the fuel filter housing, goes under the intercooler to the engine valley .... ? I'm kinda apprehensive, just in case I disconnect the wrong fuel line and "introducing another problem".

I'm almost stumped now....

Landy79

Hi Albynsw,

Thank you for your suggestion as well.

Quote : Pressurise the fuel tank at the filler with a rag and compressor hose while priming the fuel pump to get past the air lock and you are good to go.... --- I have to get one of my mates who has compressor to do this. Hmmm am wondering if the NRMA road assistance patrol car would have one... ?

Landy79

OK folks, the issue of 'air bubbles in my dual cab's fuel line(s) is now resolved....drove the ute around the block..... and she's good as new.
But now I've got a stuffed starter motor, .....I reckon due to continuous cranking when I was trying to get rid t the air bubbles.

Does anybody know the LABOUR (man hours) typically to replace the starter motor on Landcruiser 79 series 2015 ? I am aware the starter motor is deep buried in the valley of the V8.

Triton14

I just had a look at where it is on youtube :eek::eek::eek:

Get 2 or 3 quotes, it does not look simple having to remove the whole exhuast manifold!
Im guessing but I recon its a 4 hour job @ $120ph.

I have changes a couple of starters on old holdens & fords, those were the days when you could still see the driveway when you looked into your engine bay.

Edit: sorry not exhuast but intake manifold!

I cant believe its under this :oops:

Last edited:

Landy79

I just had a look at where it is on youtube :eek::eek::eek:

Get 2 or 3 quotes, it does not look simple having to remove the whole exhuast manifold!
Im guessing but I recon its a 4 hour job @ $120ph.

I have changes a couple of starters on old holdens & fords, those were the days when you could still see the driveway when you looked into your engine bay.

Edit: sorry not exhuast but intake manifold!

I cant believe its under this :oops:
Hi Triton 14,

Many thanks for your reply and video clip. I couldn't believe it either - the way Toyo's ''design engineers" bury the starter motor ...!!
I rang the local Toyosan dealership this afternoon, quoted as "5 hrs LABOUR = $750 that's removing the old unit and install the new one LABOUR only". Your guess was in the ball park. As suggested, I'll get another 2 quotes......

Triton14

Hi Triton 14,

Many thanks for your reply and video clip. I couldn't believe it either - the way Toyo's ''design engineers" bury the starter motor ...!!
I rang the local Toyosan dealership this afternoon, quoted as "5 hrs LABOUR = $750 that's removing the old unit and install the new one LABOUR only". Your guess was in the ball park. As suggested, I'll get another 2 quotes......
Far out, that's $150 an hour o_O

I'm in the wrong friggin trade man.

cam04

Welcome to Toyota land. Every other brand you just turn the key and the elec pumps will prime the fuel system for you. Starter motors and alternators on 1vd's - they are called consumables - to maintain that famous reliability maate..... There is zero chance I would attempt to do what they did in that vid at home. I'd break/lose something and a 'small' job would get more complex quickly.

Petunia

2015 to 2020 is five years, original factory battery? winter? lots of cranking? I would check the state of the battery before ordering a starter job?

Just a thought? :cool:

Landy79

Welcome to Toyota land. Every other brand you just turn the key and the elec pumps will prime the fuel system for you. Starter motors and alternators on 1vd's - they are called consumables - to maintain that famous reliability maate..... There is zero chance I would attempt to do what they did in that vid at home. I'd break/lose something and a 'small' job would get more complex quickly.

HI cam04.

I agree with you - the job of replacing the starter motor best left to those who's done a couple of times,......hate to think one mistake one of the sensors/wiring spiraling to a &%$#@.....

Landy79

2015 to 2020 is five years, original factory battery? winter? lots of cranking? I would check the state of the battery before ordering a starter job?

Just a thought? :cool:

Hi Petunia,

Battery replaced about a month ago as I was seeing the voltage was not quite 12.6 Volt (or there about) even after fully charging it.....probably over the top I did that.
Lots of cranking - correct. Especially when I was attempting to prime the fuel pump due to air bubbles in the fuel system. Please see earlier thread.