My 4wd project: which ute under 18 000 $?

+1 for the trailer option!

Once you add a front passenger, 2 kids in the back and all the associated gear to go with them (on top of bar work, winch, under vehicle protection, aux batteries, fridge etc) you'll be over GVM anyway.

Keep the Disco. Spend the money on a camper trailer and making sure the D3 is in top condition. Happy days.

I would get a trailer and keep the disco, drive a few utes and see how they compare
I was going to move away from LR as our touring 4wd for a few reasons, I did all the research, and that was months of reading and searching, I drove a few of the options and weighed up the pros and cons of all them.
Last of all I decided to test drive a D4, I bought said D4 and couldn't be happier.
If your looking at Amarok's do some research on the auto, in particular no low range and no ability to reverse in difficult situations without computer mods
+1 for the trailer option!
Once you add a front passenger, 2 kids in the back and all the associated gear to go with them (on top of bar work, winch, under vehicle protection, aux batteries, fridge etc) you'll be over GVM anyway.

Keep the Disco. Spend the money on a camper trailer and making sure the D3 is in top condition. Happy days.

Fair enough, i haven’t 100% ruled out the trailer option... but guys, i have to decide between uncomfy, need-to-mod utes, and... towing a trailer :’-(
Toughie for sure, i guess i need to sit in a few utes sooner than later, that will clear up my mind.
Actually i didn’t mention i was going to replace the Disco3 anyways, purely because it is a petrol and doesn’t give me sufficient range. I will get a diesel.
Surely the Disco4 3.0L diesel is very attractive, but expensive too, and to add a trailer... that is why i am investigating the ute path.

I think bang for buck best ute in that catagory sub 18k would have to be an MN Triton.

2.5 litre diesel engine
Auto is 400nm torque
Manual 430

The standard tub is one of the biggest in the class
You wamt room in the back for people? For long drives ? Well theyve thought about that too...

Go sit in every other dual cab ifs ute remember what those seating positions are like then go check out the triton... Mitsubishi purposely curved the rear end of the cabin to be able to place the rear passenger seats in a more comfortable position.

As far as modifications go you can get the lot...

As dont know how far you wish to go but they are they ONLY ifs dual cab ute that can actually purchase crawler gears for... so pairing them with upper control arms, diff drop kit, nice suspemsion lift and twin lockers on 33s the thing will go anywhere...

100% the pick for me...

Negatives?
There is one... back in 2015/2016 they had s recall on most mn Triton as they were copping an overheating issue due to some shitty machine work of the head. They fixed it (bandaid fix) by get this.... adding a thicker coolant to get them all out of warranty so its no longer their problem .

Mine got an new engine at 70,000 kay and had no dramas since...

In saying this i wouldnt be too scared about it... they were mostly earky model MN's

My brother and a few mates have tritons amd never had a problem
That’s great insight! Which years did these comfy backseat vehicles start to get produced? 2010 too old?

discomatt

So fit an auxiliary fuel tank and hang the spare off the back, my D4 has this set up and gives me 190l of fuel, heaps of range even with a petrol or toss 2 jerrycans in for extra range.
As mentioned when you kit out a ute or any 4wd for that matter plus put the whole family its really easy to go well over GVM when loaded, a good trailer is easy to tow and you don't even know they are there most of the time.

Paddler Ed

Take your unloaded D3 to the weighbridge and put it over, then take it loaded for camping (perhaps without wife and children) and see how much gear you've added in.

Then add on the other 3 who are coming with you on a trip.

After that lot, work out how you'd go with a ute in terms of payload. Also don't forget that the rear axle loads are going to be impacted by all that gear in the back.

I think you'll be surprised at what you're going to weigh based on your list.

Albynsw

Horses for courses but I don’t like the trailer idea
I did long range touring in a dual cab with three 10 to 15 year olds in the back no problem at all but I do pack lightly

Batts88

Something like this to increase the storage area so you don't overload a regular daul cab to the point it is unstable and doesn't handle how it should which is easy to do. https://limitlesschassis.com.au/services/style-side/ Not a big expnse if it suits your needs.

My nissan has limits where I can go as well becase of it's extension but I can still go a lot of places just been through Byfield Nat Park without any problems.

Last edited:

Barra GU

That’s great insight! Which years did these comfy backseat vehicles start to get produced? 2010 too old?
Mn triton so yes 2010 is one of them.
Can get much newer for the 17 18k mark...

Can also go the glx model which has vinyl interior and bottom of the line but they had the same.drive train and engine only cosmetic extras besides some models which featured a standard rear diff lock

Barra GU

Depending on the type of touring you're choosing to do i too am not a fan of the trailer unless youre litreally plannin on doing trips where you drive to the bush park up for a few nights eith friends and family and call it a weekend.

I know some people tour with camper trailers but its just not my thing. I dont care what anyone here will say but there never a moment when you have a trailer on the back where you start thinking am i going to be able to get up or down there???

Especially in the wet having that thing behimd you up or down a hill , not to mention the extra fuel amd even so the type of off roading youd actually be doing is more like destination driving a to b than actually 4wding looking to put the rig to the test.

So depending on what ypu wanna do some very good opinions here for trailer or without.

Just depends what suits you?

discomatt

Its always a tough one, trailer, no trailer, over load or just travel light and go without...
I look at it this way, you have to live with the car on a daily basis, how often do you need extra space, how often do you need to travel 1000km between fuel stops, what type of trips are the most frequent all these and other questions need to be thought about, answered and then prioritized.
For us we do all types of camping, touring and 4wding so I just covered all bases, the old D1 which is the play toy for tough 4wding and fun, the D4 for touring, a tent for me on boys weekends, a different tent for me and the cook when the van is not an option, a van for touring and extended holidays and as its turning out we can't sell the camper trailer because everyone wants cheap Chinese shit not a quality Aussie made soft floor so we might keep that for tougher type touring where we don't want a 2 ton van weighing us down.
Personally I wouldn't compromise on what car I drive because once every 18 months it will not suit my purpose...

Lost1?

Sounds like you carry too much stuff not to run a trailer. A dual cab might be ok for now. Not sure if it is a long term solution for you. Triton utes are a cost effective option.

But with all dual cab utes you need to understand how to load them, especially if you are towing off road. Overloading a vehicle and trailer when travelling off road can end badly. Search bent dual cab Ute chassis on Google. This will give you an appreciation of what can happen.

Good luck

Thanks guys for the insightful replies (sorry was away for an extended work trip)
I do see the merits of trailer, you're doing without over-sizing the car you use daily, but on road trips (which i do 2/4 times a year) i wouldn't really want to carry one.
Plus with a service canopy, i could potentially permanently store my dive gear there, making quick WE trips much easier logistically.
Anycase, there's a component of personal preference in there.
What i didn't suspect is the chassis and overweight issues, i'll definitely weigh in carefully the gear i have + extras i'll add (e.g. metallic service canopy) and be careful on my loading.

cheers
Nicolas