Change background image

Murray River Camping, changes coming

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by dno67, Jun 8, 2018.

1. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

If the fee's go back into the sites, it might not be a bad thing.
    Sadly I can't see that happening.

Changes proposed in the draft plan included the recommendation of banning camping on some areas and /or imposing a fee structure to use areas closer to towns that have traditionally been free for camping.

The proposed ‘Murray River Park’ is expected to encompass 37,000ha, equivalent to approximately 100 parks and reserves from Wodonga to the west of Mildura.
    Campfires are also an area coming under investigation as they are an important part of the camping experience but pose a number of risks.

The Victorian Environmental Assessment Council (VEAC) recommended that campfires not be permitted on public land adjoining the Murray, Ovens and Goulburn Rivers during the fire danger period, as declared each year by the CFA.

This reflects the policy operating in New South Wales where solid-fuel fires are banned in many parks, including along the Murray River, during the peak of summer weather.
    Read more here.. http://www.corowafreepress.com.au/2018/06/06/1931/camping-changes-coming

2. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

This is one area the proposed plan is looking at and which has affected me and my family when camping along the Murray. Selfish bast*rds who tape areas off and even when reported to authorities they did nothing about it :mad:. I quote from the report
    "The draft plan also highlighted concerns over campers commandeering areas for extended periods, including setting up unoccupied camps for days or weeks before peak periods in order to exclude other campers, which leads to complaints about fairness of access" and I might add a few arguments and fights.
    More people out there and a sign that there are many more self entitled people.

BIGCOL, dno67 and Swaggie like this.
  3. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Wait till you set up and go for a drive then return to find your stuff has
    been moved by a group for selfish c%^ts.
    When the sleeves went up, they decided it wasn't worth the trouble so
    moved to another site giving them a gob full on departure.
    If the fee's go back into the area, even just regular visits would be good.
    But I'll beleave it when I see it.

rogerazz likes this.
  4. madmonk

madmonk Member

A few years ago I spent a couple of days at Christie's Beach, Euchca (or somewhere very close by) as part of a larger trip from Brisbane to Menindee/Broken Hill. It was one of the nicest places I camped on the whole trip. I got the impression that people tended to come back to area year after year for extended boating/camping holidays and took care for the environment that they were using. Even though it was very crowded (almost full), a very nice family offered me part of their site so that I had room to pitch my small tent and park my bike.

It just goes to show that whilst there are a lot of people out there that cause problems for the rest of us, the quite majority do the right thing and make things work without needing a whole bunch of red tape and mandated rules. I hope that when I return to the area to camp again, it will still be the beautiful spot I remember.

BIGCOL and dno67 like this.