Murray Mouth Trip

Zamunda

Hey everyone

Been a while since I posted here. Start of the year was pretty crazy with work.

As part of my journey in discovering Australia, one of the routes (amongst a long list of routes) is to track as much of the Murray River as I can to its starting point. The plan is to break this into sections and do each as we get the time.

Recently during the Australia Day long weekend, my wife and I did the first part of this. The Murray River Mouth.

Here is the video. Hope you like it and the way I present it :)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nice spot, had a few drives down there, bbq on the mouth flats, but never camped.
Good drone footage, add a nice perspective.

Are you using an Osmo hand gimbal with iphone for other video ?
I'm thinking of getting the Osmo Pocket for other aspects of video footage.

Nice video of the area mate, also a nice touch regarding pippie laws too...I didn't think they had a size limit.. Interesting to see if it's the same in Vic...

Cheers

Zamunda

Nice spot, had a few drives down there, bbq on the mouth flats, but never camped.
Good drone footage, add a nice perspective.

Are you using an Osmo hand gimbal with iphone for other video ?
I'm thinking of getting the Osmo Pocket for other aspects of video footage.
I am thinking of getting the Osmo pocket too. For this video, I used a Canon M50 camera on a DJI Ronin S gimble. Some of the shots were handheld. The Canon has good in lens image stabilisation.

We were down there the Monday holiday, fav spot of mine that one. Next time we do a run to the other side of the mouth from 42 mile crossing I'll send you a msg to see if your keen. Quite a different perspective looking back at goolwa from the other side.

Cool vid mate.

smitty_r51

Nice video but I didn't think you were allowed to overnight camp on the beach along there? Day camp is fine and overnight fishing but I didn't think they allowed camping.

Zamunda

We were down there the Monday holiday, fav spot of mine that one. Next time we do a run to the other side of the mouth from 42 mile crossing I'll send you a msg to see if your keen. Quite a different perspective looking back at goolwa from the other side.

Cool vid mate.
That would be AWESOME! Please keep me posted.

Zamunda

Nice video but I didn't think you were allowed to overnight camp on the beach along there? Day camp is fine and overnight fishing but I didn't think they allowed camping.
We did quite a bit of research before heading out. My friend checked with a few others who frequent and we were told that no camping is on the dunes, along the beach was fine.

silkwood

Thinking of heading there this weekend. How would the camping space be with the higher tides? Nearing the Full moon (Tuesday), would that restrict the access and/or camping? Looks pretty tight.

Cheers,

Mark

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah Mark, higher tides will possibly leave VERY little room above high tide line, if a bit onshore windy that can be a bad thing :/
Better to look for the neap tides if possible . . . check tides over a month or so and look for lower high tide figures.

http://www.bom.gov.au/ntc/IDO59001/IDO59001_2019_SA_TP006.pdf
Eg. Sun 17th the high is not long after midnight, and 1.1m.
I'd be looking for tides well under 1m.

Wind that night is expected to be favourable though, almost a dead spot . . .
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=-33.2;138.6;5&l=wind-10m&t=20190216/1200

You could try up at the mouth, you can probably find something a little higher ground on the Coorong side in the dunes foothills, protected from wind in there too.
But don't drive too far into dunes (like, at all), they are protected and too many drive in there already which risks council closing it all off.

silkwood

Thanks Les. Just called the council and they tell me there is absolutely no camping at the mouth or the Coorong side. The woman answering was quoting directly from documented regulations. When I questioned about the beach front (prior to the mouth) she was a little vague and just said you could not drive or camp on the dunes. Guess that means camping there is "tolerated". I'll give it a miss for this weekend, maybe another time.

Cheers,

Mark

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Les. Just called the council and they tell me there is absolutely no camping at the mouth or the Coorong side. The woman answering was quoting directly from documented regulations. When I questioned about the beach front (prior to the mouth) she was a little vague and just said you could not drive or camp on the dunes. Guess that means camping there is "tolerated". I'll give it a miss for this weekend, maybe another time.

Cheers,

Mark
Cheers Mark, good to get it direct from the horses mouth, no offence to council representative !

That certainly sounds like camping on the main beach above high tide mark, but not in the dunes, is ok.
I don't think enough actually do it (camping overnight) to be a problem.
You just have to hope most people that camp down there do the right thing, like all bush camping wherever it may be.

Zamunda

Cheers,

Mark
Hi Mark

When my friend checked he was told no camping at the mouth nor on dunes. However, beachfront is no worries.
Where we camped it was around 2 to 3kms before the mouth. On that weekend the tide was not too bad

silkwood

Hi Mark

When my friend checked he was told no camping at the mouth nor on dunes. However, beachfront is no worries.
Where we camped it was around 2 to 3kms before the mouth. On that weekend the tide was not too bad
Judging by your drone shots, I reckon you were about 1.5kms from the mouth. Some people just can't help exaggerating the length of things, eh, Duncan?:p;)

Nice video, that's what made me want to make the trip (that and getting free bait!).

Cheers,
Mark

Zamunda

Judging by your drone shots, I reckon you were about 1.5kms from the mouth. Some people just can't help exaggerating the length of things, eh, Duncan?:p;)

Nice video, that's what made me want to make the trip (that and getting free bait!).

Cheers,
Mark
I still reckon it was around the 2km mark. Felt that way anyway. Maybe it was the gin :D
It is a wonderful place. You and your family will have a great time. Try to go when there are fewer crowds. We went on the the last day of the long weekend and then stayed on Tuesday as well. Had the entire place to ourselves.