Muddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've still got the stock rodeo ones, so this thread is helpful >_< i want BIG ones, lol!

Everyone wants big tyres but there are a few things you need to consider. The bigger the tyre, the more stress on your wheel associated components. It will put your speedo out of whack. It will increase fuel consumption and decrease performance to an extent. You are legally allowed to go two extra sizes up from factory standard tyres. Anything bigger and you'll find yourself uninsured IF you had an insurance claim and if you didn't advise your insurance company of the bigger size tyres. Your car will also be technically unroadworthy if you go too big. Bigger is not always better. Big tyres might look good and are useful in some off road applications but have a lot more negatives than positives in my humble opinion.

As for me. I'm going the opposite. I'm going for a narrower tread for less resistance on the road and for cutting through the off road stuff. Think of it in terms of cycling. If you've ever ridden bikes, you'll know that a mountain bike requires much more effort to pedal than a road bike because of it's extra weight and bigeer tyres. You have to work your legs a lot harder to make a rotation of the wheels. A road bike is different. They have a standard 23mm wide tyre and just glide along with a bit less effort and a lot more speed. Of course a road bike can't go where a mountain bike can go and is geared differently but the theory can be applied to 4x4 tyres.

The bigger and wider the tyre, the more effort is required to turn the wheels. The smaller and narrower the tyre, the less effort and better performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

4X4

You are legally allowed to go two extra sizes up from factory standard tyres. Anything bigger and you'll find yourself uninsured IF you had an insurance claim and if you didn't advise your insurance company of the bigger size tyres. Your car will also be technically unroadworthy if you go too big. Bigger is not always better. Big tyres might look good and are useful in some off road applications but have a lot more negatives than positives in my humble opinion.
You are not legally allowed to go up two extra sizes from factory. Check it out at the http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf. 15mm above standard is all that is permissible.
As for me. I'm going the opposite. I'm going for a narrower tread for less resistance on the road and for cutting through the off road stuff.
Going narrower changes the aspect ratio of the tyre, so unless you go for a higher aspect ratio tyre, you will be in fact lower the clearance of the vehicle. Wide Versus narrow is a debate thats been doing the rounds of campfires for years. Offroad, bigger is better! It's that simple!

Last edited:

You are not legally allowed to go up two extra sizes from factory. Check it out at the http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf. 15mm above standard is all that is permissible.
Going narrower changes the aspect ratio of the tyre, so unless you go for a higher aspect ratio tyre, you will be in fact lower the clearance of the vehicle. Wide Versus narrow is a debate thats been doing the rounds of campfires for years. Offroad, bigger is better! It's that simple!

I stand corrected. I meant to say 15mm above the standard factory tyre. That was my mistake because I was thinking of something else. I disagree with bigger is better but agree with you have to increase the aspect ratio of a tyre if going narrower. For example if you currently drive on 265 75 16 and want to go narrower you could go something like a 235 85 16 but once again if someone has better knowledge of tyres than me then please set me straight. This of course is well above the 15mm increase allowable of a factory standard 245 70 16. I'm definitely not a tyre expert so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sticking with the narrower tyres.

4X4

Legislation was introduced in July 1990 to adopt Australian design rule 24. This in simple terms nominates the minimum specs of a tyre permitted on that vehicle. It has to be the same speed rating, load rating as stipulated on the cars compliance plate. You are not able to increase or decrease the tyre size by more than 15mm.

Legislation was introduced in July 1990 to adopt Australian design rule 24. This in simple terms nominates the minimum specs of a tyre permitted on that vehicle. It has to be the same speed rating, load rating as stipulated on the cars compliance plate. You are not able to increase or decrease the tyre size by more than 15mm.

Ah yes I know that. And how many 4wd's are driving around on 32", 33" 35" tyres?

Bloody lots of them.

Nickj

4x4 Earth Contributer
You are not legally allowed to go up two extra sizes from factory. Check it out at the Error404 : VicRoads. 15mm above standard is all that is permissible.
An "off road" vehicle is allowed to use tyres that are 50mm OD larger than std. This is in Victoria anyway. See below email sent to me by Vicroads.

"From: VicRoads.Enquiry_Tracker@roads.vic.gov.au [mailto:VicRoads.Enquiry_Tracker@roads.vic.gov.au]
Sent: Monday, 12 May 2008 12:18 PM
To: Nick Johnson
Subject: Wheel Size

I refer to your correspondence with VicRoads received on 7 May 2008.

Regulation 819 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999 states that a person must not use on a highway a vehicle that has been modified from the condition in which it was in when first registered unless:

. the modification has the Corporation's (VicRoads') approval; or
. has been carried out in accordance with guidelines published by the Corporation.

It is acceptable for vehicles to comply with Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) 14, the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification, Section LS Tyres, Rims, Suspension and Steering:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...ction_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to an off-road passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

No part of the wheel must touch any part of the body or suspension under all operating conditions.

Nick

I'm out of this discussion. There are dozens of forums which have covered tyre sizes and the legalities and roadworthiness of doing this and doing that with tyres and vehicles. It's the individual's decision and choice on what he or she does with their tyres and cars. They will wear the consequences if they come unstuck. Most 4 wheel drivers should know the requirements in respect to vehicle modification without anymore forums on the subject.

x [Heels] x

That's right, each to their own... Therefore everyone is aloud an opinion... You either go LEGAL or you don't, no matter how many arguments are had, in the end it is on the purchasers head! Yes, i want big tyres, yes i want them to be legal, so YES i will research how big i can go but if i chose to go an illegal size, it's my PROBLEM no ones elses! This was a thread about a simple question, no need to start a war over it...

That's right, each to their own... Therefore everyone is aloud an opinion... You either go LEGAL or you don't, no matter how many arguments are had, in the end it is on the purchasers head! Yes, i want big tyres, yes i want them to be legal, so YES i will research how big i can go but if i chose to go an illegal size, it's my PROBLEM no ones elses! This was a thread about a simple question, no need to start a war over it...

Exactly. Thanks.

GippsSurfer

seems like it is getting ugly in here....

as the RULES say, 50mm increase is the largest you can go on a 4x4... so if you have 31's (265/70R15) from the factory, you can LEGALLY put 33's on it... but you will also probably need to lift the vehicle (either body lift, suspension or both) - now that opens up another can o' worms as the total increase in vehicle height (without engineering) is 50mm too... so you have already gone 25mm up with the tires + your lift....

can-o-worms.gif

InSanE

vic roads law states that you are only allowed to have a tyre 15mm bigger in overall tyre diameter I am a mechanic and have been doing roadworthy's for years and that is the law here in Victoria

Coxy,

You get whatever tyres you want just like I'm buying the tyres I want. You've been given a few suggestions but then of course someone has to enter the thread and ruin it for everyone. The bottom line is that there are hundreds if not thousands of 4x4's getting around on some very big rubber. I mean REALLY big rubber! I've seen road registered vehicles on 35" and 37" tyres ON THE BLOODY ROADS. Road legal or not, they are doing it. Just keep in mind that you might have to wear the consequences if you come unstuck.

Good luck.

Coxy

4x4 Earth Contributer
In the words of Magnus Magnusson (mastermind quiz show in the Uk from many years ago) "I've started, so I'll finish!"

I never intended this thread to turn our quite the way it has, but at least it has generated interest and, from the way i read it, passion! It's great that people get involved.

I live in Vic, I have done research as to what mods are legally allowed on 4wds and am now the proud owner of a set of 265/75R16 muddies on my spare rims to go and play in the mud on the weekends! I still have the stock mags and HTs for the highway.
If you're interested, then a couple of pictures are attached.

Feedback from the first ride home from the tyre shop...... It's all a bit different! much more road noise, but still feel solid on the tarmac. Feedback from the first bush drive....I'm off to play on Sunday!

Thanks for your input, I'm off to play.
Coxy

Attachments

• S4200021.JPG
    S4200021.JPG
    832.2 KB · Views: 142
  • S4200024.JPG
    S4200024.JPG
    809.4 KB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.