Mud Chains

mianme

I'm running Cooper Discovery ATR 285/75/16'S which are down around 50%. Rather than getting a full set of MUD'S on separate rims I was thinking of using mud chains. Has anyone used chains in the mud and how successful are they??

Thanks

Mick

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Personally, I think a bad bad idea...:(

They may be successful in getting you through, but tend to wreck the tracks...:eek:

Am sure some who have used them can give more information, as I have never used them & never will on 4wd tracks, & believe they should only be used in the snow...:confused:

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
Personally, I think a bad bad idea...:(

They may be successful in getting you through, but tend to wreck the tracks...:eek:

Am sure some who have used them can give more information, as I have never used them & never will on 4wd tracks, & believe they should only be used in the snow...:confused:

Yeah, back this one up. They really chew up a track and I don't think they'll do much for your tyres either on the hard surface compared to snow.

jack48

They are called SNOW CHAINS for a reason. only to be used in snow or icy conditions.
I am quilty for using them many years ago in a rally, we drove through 18'[ 45 cm] of snow and did so well we left them on for the rest of the stage, bloody hell did we do some car damage, inner gaurds, flares not to mention tyres, it's just not worth it.

Crisp image

If you use chains responsibly (Dont go spinning up all the hills and churning up the tracks) then they can be a great thing. However here is the catch. If a ranger sees you driving with them on on a track that it is not nessessary then you might find your self with a fine. Use them to recover or "get through" but do it genlty.
I dont see much difference in churning up the tracks with aggressive muddies or chains.
Tread lightly and preserve the bush for others to use tomorrow.
Hang me if you like. My thoughts
Regards
Crisp Image

mianme

Muds or Chains?????????

Well I’m not one for carving up tracks and chains do seem a little aggressive, so muddies here I come. I do however agree with Crisp to a degree and that is I’ve seen many idiots with muddies tearing up tracks just for fun. I’m at a loss as to why you would want to do that, it’s as if they’re the only people using them.

Traveller

If you use chains responsibly (Dont go spinning up all the hills and churning up the tracks) then they can be a great thing. However here is the catch. If a ranger sees you driving with them on on a track that it is not nessessary then you might find your self with a fine. Use them to recover or "get through" but do it genlty.
I dont see much difference in churning up the tracks with aggressive muddies or chains.
Tread lightly and preserve the bush for others to use tomorrow.
Hang me if you like. My thoughts
Regards
Crisp Image

My thoughts too here.

Jarh73

I would also wonder how long chains last being used a lot?

If they don't last long then it might be false economy and better to get a set of "weekend tyres"

Just a thought.

Cheers

Justin

Crisp image

How long is a piece of string? Depending what surface you drive on will decide how long the last. If you spin lots on hard abrasive surfaces then they will not last long however is driven gently on snow thay should last a lifetime.
My thoughts.
Regards
Crisp Image