MU-X - problems, issue or complaints ?

Sixes

I was getting the rumble from just below 70 with about 1200 rpm on tacho. Even towing a 2300 kg caravan it was staying in 5th at about the same rpm around 70 to 80 kph so for peace of mind I put it in manual to go down to 4th.
I had my 12 month service this week and mentioned it and what I had been told by the D Max owner. There is an update which was flashed to the TCM and after 2 days driving around at speeds between 70 and 100 kph there has been no rumble. Hopefully the problem is solved. I noticed revs are up by a couple of hundred at 70 - 80 kph.
Off with the van again this weekend so will see how that goes too.
As a tow tug the Mux is damn good. Had a diesel Jackaroo before which was excellent but the Mux is better. Fuel economy is unbelievable a 2900 km trip Perth to Exmouth via the coast and return via the Midlands averaged 12.4 L/100km. (The Jackaroo was 18L/100k for the same trip). 100kph on the way up about 80kph on the way down as travelling with another van which was slower. (Nissan 3L with heavier van had Jackaroo like economy). PHOTOS: CAMPED AT BLOWHOLES NORTH OF CARNARVON.
View attachment 30756 View attachment 30757
Hi MUX444,

I'm experiencing this with my vehicle as well. Glad to hear the TCM update fixes it.

Could you please advise on the dealership you got your TCM update at?

I'd like to contact them and discuss.

Cheers,

Sixes

Mud_x

Hi MUX444,

I'm experiencing this with my vehicle as well. Glad to hear the TCM update fixes it.

Cheers,

Sixes
Hi Sixes, I had my vehicle in for its 10000k service and reported the issue to them. They said they weren't aware of any issue but would look into it. Turns out there is a Service Bulliten covering a narrow range of vehicles with mine sitting in the middle (Jan2015 build) and all Isuzu service centres should have the update available, you may just have to make them aware. The change is dramatic makes it feel like a completely new vehicle, much smother at al speeds.

MUX444

Hi MUX444,

Cheers,

Sixes
Hi Sixes
I had the update done at DVG Isuzu Ute, Maddington, WA.
I have now done over 10,000 km since the upgrade (currently in the Kimberley) and am really pleased with it. Fuel economy towing is around 13L/100 km (some windy days has lifted it a bit - plus a lead foot :) ) and the vehicle just picks its gear according to wind and terrain and engine and trans feels much more at ease. (If that makes sense)

Last edited:

Guy Parish

Hi Guys. Just Got my MUX My15, 3 weeks ago. loving It.
I kind of like Bushland Assault Vehicle; rather than SUV.
Although the Insurance companies refer to MUX as Station Wagons??!! DUH!
I'm interested to know from regular Dmax/ Mux owners about the Diff/trans breathers? I just wonder if the factory installed ones are safe where they are ,just under the body or if you've modified to put the new tubes+ breathers higher?

Tink

Front diff and front axle axle breathers are extended into the engine bay and are attached to the airbox. The front axle SOTF actuator is extended into an oil capture box behind the front driver's light. The rear diff is extended to the chassis rail above the rear diff. The 4WD actuator and transfer box are both extended and breath into the cavity between the transfer box and gearbox. The manual gearbox breathes into the gear stick extension housing. The auto gearbox is extended to a plastic breather box at the top, front of the auto housing. All should be extended if doing anything deeper than 500mm.
Tink

Guy Parish

You'll find an excellent post on diff breathers here:- http://www.ozisuzu.com.au/index.php/topic,888.msg7382.html#msg7382

Complete walkthrough, including pictures :)
Hi Thanks for that ,lurkr. interesting and a bit more complicated than i originally thought... I have my first 3000k service soon ,so í'll can get a better idea from the techies at the dealers and see if they can extend and raise the breathers. it's probably a 50/50% chance. see what happens

Guy Parish

Hey! good news for all you Mux owners. ARB at my nearest depot Hoppers Crossing. Yesterday, fitted up my Nomad with their kit ( four port version) . said it might be tricky, as they'd never done breathers on MUX. I put in a prayer and let them do it. easier than it seemed. They cut the original lower two breathers off the diff and trans axle ,stuck their hoses in ,clamped with ties.( keep an eye on that tho.) and ran them up to the unit and along the back to somewhere near the Airbox or into it. It was going to cost about $320. but became $110.Plus the breather kit,about $65. Always if in doubt, ring in and ask. Good luck . Guy

Guy Parish

It seems to be a very good vehicle, this forum has been very helpful for finding out any problems. Like you I've found nothing other than the GPS maps being out of date, which seems to be the case for most cars with SatNav regardless of make.

Officially paid the deposit today for an MU-X LS-T, can't wait till I can pick it up later this week.
Hi Foxyfox80, The Isuzu Gps isn't too bad inspite of its ''Vintage''. But it works ok. Just try a few times getting around your local capital city, from one side of town to the other ,letting that annoying GPS female voice giving advice , warning and instructions during Peak Hour Traffic. I use Hema explorer maps attached to the USB plugpoint for my Samsung Galaxy Pad for tracking my trips. It helps alot. That is if you have not done that yet?

Dem Pisstoff

New here. My wife has appropriated our Mu-x delivered between Christmas and new year 2013 so one of the originals. VERY PLEASED she is and has managed to clock 90000km , much of this towing a large horse float at 100kph between N Queensland as far as western Victoria via Central West NSW. Original Bridgestone lasted 80000km. Fuel consumption towing ranges from 8l per 100km to 16l/100km going from coast upmpast Canberra. Mostly in 10 - 12 range. Much better when not towing. Only problem was a servicing malfunction when the turbo was mysteriously damaged, replaced under warranty. A minor niggle is the front black Dmax bullbar as the mux one had not yet become available when fitted early 2014. Looks a bit untidy but did its job when my wife hit a huge dog in the bush one night- unfortunately poor old fido died instantly. Overall very happy with the purchase, clearly the best vehicle we have bought since the first in 1974. Looking forward to clocking 50000!

Tink

Interesting, didn't think the Dmax bar fitted the MUX. Did you have to modify it to get it to fit?
Tink

Ziggy

Now up to 60 K kms. Last outback trip included over 2000 of dirt/gravel/corro. Lost a couple of mudflap screws and have also lost a couple of sump guard bolts, one 5 K after a retighten. Advise adding Locktite or a spring/flat washer combo. From memory the bolt is M12 fine.
Otherwise, the brakes went spongy after a lot of ponded water driving in the Centre. The Alice dealer said the fluid hadn't been changed at the last service that it should've been. I also discovered the rather odd feature of the brake pedal continuing to go down to a point while you brake but that's apparently normal and OK.
That's it for troubles.