MU-X - problems, issue or complaints ?

Ziggy

Just driving around flat streets at 60kph in Melbourne suburbs, my MU-X seems to like to go up to 5th gear, at 1000 rpm, with enough vibration to make me sub-consciously put my foot down on the accelerator. Using the manual shifter to change to 4th gear feels more comfortable, but to me it seems only natural to shift gear only after pushing the clutch pedal!

Heheh. Same here.

Low revs in 5th produces a good deal of harmonic vibration. An overdrive lockout would be on my improvements list.

Back on topic: at 20 k Km my oil filter housing has begun to leak. Enough to coat the outside metal and attract dust, not to starve the engine.

monbeg

Heheh. Same here.

Low revs in 5th produces a good deal of harmonic vibration. An overdrive lockout would be on my improvements list.

Back on topic: at 20 k Km my oil filter housing has begun to leak. Enough to coat the outside metal and attract dust, not to starve the engine.

Yes, that lockout on the transmission is what causes that vibration. The 5th gear transmission direct drive is a great idea but it hangs on for too long and should cut out at a higher rpm.

I actually brought this up with a sales person a while ago when I had mine in for a service.
He asked me what I thought etc etc and when I described the 5th gear transmission lockout staying in for too long and causing a resonance all I got was a blank stare !

Last edited:

MUX STX

While having a practice setup for the awning and tent for a trip next year I was surprised to find out that both the 12v outlets would not work unless the accessory mode or engine was turned on.

Seems strange to me that this would be the case, you would think that the accessory outlets would work independent of the ignition.

underdog

While having a practice setup for the awning and tent for a trip next year I was surprised to find out that both the 12v outlets would not work unless the accessory mode or engine was turned on.

Seems strange to me that this would be the case, you would think that the accessory outlets would work independent of the ignition.

Why would it be setup any other way? Otherwise car manufacturers would be consciously facilitating the average idiot/car owner flattening theit starter battery? There are very, very few accessories/sockets/anything in modern vehicles these days that operate separate from the ignition. It's a deliberately designed fail-safe..

Are we there yet

Why would it be setup any other way? Otherwise car manufacturers would be consciously facilitating the average idiot/car owner flattening theit starter battery? There are very, very few accessories/sockets/anything in modern vehicles these days that operate separate from the ignition. It's a deliberately designed fail-safe..

Hey! My D40 would like a word, it's got one outlet that's always powered(from factory). You can drain the battery if you want. My Waeco fridge it's set to cut the power when the voltage is low to avoid a dead battery.

03hilux

Run a dual battery set up and redirect the existing wiring to the new battery.

MGMUX

Yes, that lockout on the transmission is what causes that vibration. The 5th gear transmission direct drive is a great idea but it hangs on for too long and should cut out at a higher rpm.

I actually brought this up with a sales person a while ago when I had mine in for a service.
He asked me what I thought etc etc and when I described the 5th gear transmission lockout staying in for too long and causing a resonance all I got was a blank stare !

That used to be a problem in mine but after about 5000km the transmission sorted itself out and it shifts out of lockup in this situations. The odd time it doesn't I just press slightly harder on the pedal.

monbeg

That used to be a problem in mine but after about 5000km the transmission sorted itself out and it shifts out of lockup in this situations. The odd time it doesn't I just press slightly harder on the pedal.

Actually I have noticed too that it doesn't go into that mode as quickly as it used to, I have now got around 1900kms on mine.

MUX STX

My now traded jeep was set up so you did not need to have the accessory power on, so they are out there.

I am not too concerned as I always take a battery jumper to jump start or use as the primary power source.

JC807

Last edited:

underdog

Hey! My D40 would like a word, it's got one outlet that's always powered(from factory). You can drain the battery if you want. My Waeco fridge it's set to cut the power when the voltage is low to avoid a dead battery.
Did you buy it new? If so, that's quite rare indeed and definitely not the norm amongst 4wds.

Run a dual battery set up and redirect the existing wiring to the new battery.
Personally, I would be replacing the factory wiring, as most standard 12v cable is speaker-wire-thin! I did successfully run factory wiring for 12months powering a 60L waeco in my previous Xtrail though.

Hahaha

hiluxdriver

I've been told that Rangers cig sockets are constant power also, maybe they think that MU owners are just dropping the kids at school and don't venture onto gravel roads so don't need them.

I think it's dumb on any car though as it defiantly has the potential to flatten the battery.

Old mate with the waeco, what setting is the fridge on? Have you run the battery down that far then tried to start the car on a cold morning?

Are we there yet

Did you buy it new? If so, that's quite rare indeed and definitely not the norm amongst 4wds.

Personally, I would be replacing the factory wiring, as most standard 12v cable is speaker-wire-thin! I did successfully run factory wiring for 12months powering a 60L waeco in my previous Xtrail though.

Hahaha

Yes got it new, had an 06 before this one and it was the same.

Are we there yet

I've been told that Rangers cig sockets are constant power also, maybe they think that MU owners are just dropping the kids at school and don't venture onto gravel roads so don't need them.

I think it's dumb on any car though as it defiantly has the potential to flatten the battery.

Old mate with the waeco, what setting is the fridge on? Have you run the battery down that far then tried to start the car on a cold morning?

Usually the mid setting. I have run it down to the cut off point and at the mid setting it was ok, the low setting might be better for petrol powered vehicles as it really struggled to crank the diesel over. I tried both at home when I first got it(09).

Ziggy

Actually I have noticed too that it doesn't go into that mode as quickly as it used to, I have now got around 1900kms on mine.

This may be a function of the auto trans' adaptive learning mode.

You've started to drive more aggressively perhaps.

I see it when mixing solo driving and towing in the course of a trip.

MUX444

mine drops into 5th and locks the torque converter at just under 80kph and will stay there at 75kph or less, if no more power is applied on a flat road . with slight power increase or load it unlocks giving the impression it went down a gear (but when put in manual it still says 5) another slight increase in power or load it drops into 4 but as soon as it is cruising with no load at under 80kph it will lock again , sending vibrations through car, a bit of a pain really.
Spoke to someone with a D Max today and he told me he has similar problem and that Isuzu told him that a computer fix had been done for the Mu-X but not the D Max.
Something to put to your service centre to see if correct.
I was getting the rumble from just below 70 with about 1200 rpm on tacho. Even towing a 2300 kg caravan it was staying in 5th at about the same rpm around 70 to 80 kph so for peace of mind I put it in manual to go down to 4th.
I had my 12 month service this week and mentioned it and what I had been told by the D Max owner. There is an update which was flashed to the TCM and after 2 days driving around at speeds between 70 and 100 kph there has been no rumble. Hopefully the problem is solved. I noticed revs are up by a couple of hundred at 70 - 80 kph.
Off with the van again this weekend so will see how that goes too.
As a tow tug the Mux is damn good. Had a diesel Jackaroo before which was excellent but the Mux is better. Fuel economy is unbelievable a 2900 km trip Perth to Exmouth via the coast and return via the Midlands averaged 12.4 L/100km. (The Jackaroo was 18L/100k for the same trip). 100kph on the way up about 80kph on the way down as travelling with another van which was slower. (Nissan 3L with heavier van had Jackaroo like economy). PHOTOS: CAMPED AT BLOWHOLES NORTH OF CARNARVON.
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0192.jpg

Last edited:

MUX444

Have now towed van another 2800 km since having TCM update. Travelled to Kalgoorlie, through WA goldfields (Sandstone, Mt Magnet, Meekatharra) to Pilbara. Left trans in auto whole way as there was no need for manual change. The auto handled it perfectly by itself even up Greenmount Hill. Changes were spot on and revs were nearly always in 1500 to 2000 range with occasional 2500. Speeds 80 - 100 kph. When I checked what gear it was in it was usually 4th or 5th depending on wind or gradient. Surprisingly av fuel consumption for the 2800 km was 12.0 L/100km which is slightly better than before update even though revs were often higher and maybe more time in 4th. Driving was much more relaxed not having to go to manual to drop a gear and the car sounded more at ease at the higher revs at low speed (80 - 90 k/h)

muddymux

has anyone notice when turning left the front driver side wheel click loudly?
if i happened to yours could you please tell me what caused it?