MU-X - problems, issue or complaints ?

Stunub

The Isuzu and Rhino bars are the same thing.

The rhino bars are still listed too.... Also There is a whole thread about racks on this forum too :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425243999.388029.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurkr

Thanks for all the posts folks.
From all the digging (here and elsewhere) all I can find is some design improvements that could be made - specifically recovery points, & roof racks. The only "issues" anyone seems to have posted anywhere, aside from the recalls, have been related to tow bar installations.
That's a stark contrast to the Colorado, which has a long list on faults and complaints.

ON the back of that, despite the decreased engine output, and 5-speed lower rated gearbox (torque-wise), I just bought one.

Despite what the motoring writers say, I LIKE the interior, and I like the softer ride that soaks up the bumps. It's not a race car - I'd rather it softer than too firm, which can result in the rear skipping out on corrugations, amongst other trade-offs.

Off to the 4x4 show in Manly this weekend for some accessory shopping !

grantm

congrats you wont regret it, I have had mine about 5 - 6 weeks I think, can not fault it, it is what it is, a softened up truck.

I ended up with dealer roof racks / Rhino racks, mine is LSM, so they are somewhere to mount my awning and carry a bit of gear will do the job.

Enjoy

xtrailer

Went for a test drive recently in an auto and found that it seemed to ride pretty smoothly and body roll was not too bad. In terms of engine and driveline i thought the engine was a bit noisy under acceleration and while travelling along in top gear around about 80 km/h the engine had a flat spot at around 1500 rpm with a dull low humming vibration noise. It needed a bit of a prod on the accelerator to drop back a gear, only to back off again as i was over the speed limit. I didn't try manual over ride to see if this would improve things.

Parko96

Apparently after driving at a consistent speed with consistent revs the auto and engine essentially lock with each other. Due to gear ratios the lock is most noticeable at around 80kph. It is another fuel saving feature. However I wouldn't have thought you would be in top gear at 80kph, quiet a bit out of the max torque band at those revs.

1mate08

mine drops into 5th and locks the torque converter at just under 80kph and will stay there at 75kph or less, if no more power is applied on a flat road . with slight power increase or load it unlocks giving the impression it went down a gear (but when put in manual it still says 5) another slight increase in power or load it drops into 4 but as soon as it is cruising with no load at under 80kph it will lock again , sending vibrations through car, a bit of a pain really.
2 solutions , put it in manual at 80 or less. -
loby to get speed limit increased to 85 :eek:

lurkr

Yep - there is a dead spot at around 80 where there a dull drone that sets in - I drop it to manual and flip down a gear if it sits there for more than 5 seconds :)
I agree... to me it's also harsh sounding under acceleration - but cruising on the freeway it's beautiful and quiet. I've a friend who owned a diesel pathfinder before the MU, and he reckons it's a bit quieter that that - I've not much else to reference it by - the 2015 Colorado is definitely quieter due to the sound-proofing - but that's all it comes down to . . . . and given all the other reported problems people have with the Colorado or Holden Servicing, I opted to go for the MU... pretty sure the Prado is also quieter from the cabin - but that's a full $20K more for similar spec.
For what it is, Loving the thing :)

xtrailer

Having driven petrol engined vehicles all my life i think any diesel for me would take a bit to get use to. It's a great vehicle for the coin.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mine sounds awesome with the loud peddle pushed, must be only MU and Discos that don't sound awesome?

What's gee owe Jase? Killing it over here, and well every where.

And as for diesel's sounding good on the loud pedal, thing I've got that covered!

hiluxdriver

And as for diesel's sounding good on the loud pedal, thing I've got that covered!

I just lurk around everywhere, need to explore everything the site has to offer after all. What you up to tomoz night? Jaye and I are heading out in the Riff as we haven't caught up in ages. Keen for a brew?

Yeah we all love the sound the 76 makes, I just wish you'd be more of a hoon.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I just lurk around everywhere, need to explore everything the site has to offer after all. What you up to tomoz night? Jaye and I are heading out in the Riff as we haven't caught up in ages. Keen for a brew?

Yeah we all love the sound the 76 makes, I just wish you'd be more of a hoon.

Gotta work Saturday (gotta pay the 76 off somehow).
Meet for a brew somewhere for sure though.

DavidFong

Just driving around flat streets at 60kph in Melbourne suburbs, my MU-X seems to like to go up to 5th gear, at 1000 rpm, with enough vibration to make me sub-consciously put my foot down on the accelerator. Using the manual shifter to change to 4th gear feels more comfortable, but to me it seems only natural to shift gear only after pushing the clutch pedal!

mine drops into 5th and locks the torque converter at just under 80kph and will stay there at 75kph or less, if no more power is applied on a flat road . with slight power increase or load it unlocks giving the impression it went down a gear (but when put in manual it still says 5) another slight increase in power or load it drops into 4 but as soon as it is cruising with no load at under 80kph it will lock again , sending vibrations through car, a bit of a pain really.
2 solutions , put it in manual at 80 or less. -
loby to get speed limit increased to 85 :eek:

MUX444

Just driving around flat streets at 60kph in Melbourne suburbs, my MU-X seems to like to go up to 5th gear, at 1000 rpm, with enough vibration to make me sub-consciously put my foot down on the accelerator. Using the manual shifter to change to 4th gear feels more comfortable, but to me it seems only natural to shift gear only after pushing the clutch pedal!

Spoke to someone with a D Max today and he told me he has similar problem and that Isuzu told him that a computer fix had been done for the Mu-X but not the D Max.
Something to put to your service centre to see if correct.

03hilux

Mine sounds awesome with the loud peddle pushed, must be only MU and Discos that don't sound awesome?

My disco is a petrol V8, so sounds good any way. As for Gavs 70, I must admit I do like the sound of a diesel V8.

Wheres my invite for a brew hey? Its OK though. I already have plans. But will be keen for an over nighter when i get back from Europe.

hiluxdriver

My disco is a petrol V8, so sounds good any way. As for Gavs 70, I must admit I do like the sound of a diesel V8.

Wheres my invite for a brew hey? Its OK though. I already have plans. But will be keen for an over nighter when i get back from Europe.

Well I guess we need some sort of Mexican standoff as for which V8 sounds better, a diesel or petrol. Almost sounds like a Stockton trip for runs up the dunes. I need an excuse to see this disco of yours anyway Rog.

Going to Amsterdam?

03hilux

Well I guess we need some sort of Mexican standoff as for which V8 sounds better, a diesel or petrol. Almost sounds like a Stockton trip for runs up the dunes. I need an excuse to see this disco of yours anyway Rog.

Going to Amsterdam?

Going France, UK, the Hong Kong on the way home. Will be away for 6 weeks in total.