Mu-x dual battery setup - diy

Schaps

Hi all, Hoping someone on here has done this themselves before. I currently run a battery in the boot to run a fridge which charges direct off the cig socket in the boot. Not ideal. I'm going to put a 2nd battery in the engine bay and run power to the boot but would like some pointers specific to an install on the mu-x.
It looks like a battery will fit behind the existing, but what size will fit?
What is the best tray to use and source from where?
Did you put a VSR in or just accessory switched and fused. Where did you source the accessory feed from?
Are there any issues with charging with the standard alternator. Is it ECU controlled and not maintain it's output high enough for charging?
Where did you mount stuff? Size cable? Run wire?
Any other pointers that may help me, and later others.
Thanks
Chris

monbeg

I run a portable battery in a box with a Redarc charger also in the same box.
A sparky wired a cable from the existing vehicle battery to an Anderson plug at the rear where I connect the Redarc.

If I was to do it again or when this battery needs replacing I will go with something like this narrow battery that will fit behind the mid row seats without interfering with the seat movement.
http://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/batteries/deep-cycle-agm/125ah-12v-agm-deep-cycle-front-terminal-battery
http://www.everybattery.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=UL110-VO27

Tink

Isuzu's have a constant voltage alternator, they are not ECU controlled.
A VSR or an ignition switched relay would both work fine. The VSR will just allow you to use a bit of your cranking battery for your accessories.
Bigger cable is better, less voltage drop. 6B&S or 13mm square is easy enough to work with and suits 50A Anderson plugs.
Couple of mobs make under bonnet battery trays. TJM and Projector are two that I know that fit well.
Tink

Shanec

I recently installed the Pirahna tray. Comes ready to fit, can be a little fiddly as there isn't much room behind the main battery, and there is some cutting involved of the bracket within the engine bay which holds the fuel lines, however, their instructions are very detailed. Also fitted their dual battery wiring kit and VSR, which you will also need to find a spot to mount. Once the VSR is open it charges the second battery straight off the alternator and I have had no issues.

I recommend to prevent any voltage issues or overheating issues within the wiring, that another socket is wired up to the rear, using larger gauge wiring than what is standard on the factory cig socket.

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/product/battery-tray/index/index/make/isuzu

Cokedaddy216

My brother has a d max , fitted TJM battery tray ( beautifully made :) ) optima blue top d34m battery , redarc bcdc goes to the auto electrician next week to get wired post some pictures when it's finished .

smitty_r51

Not sure on the
The mux but in the pathfinder I have there is loads of space behind the plastics in the rear cargo area.

Gets the battery out of the heat of the engine bay, protects it and if like me to go lithium you save a load of space and weight

Schaps

Tink, thanks I had wondered about the alternator. Good to know I can use a switched solenoid to connect to main battery.
Cokedaddy216, cheers for the pic. The Tjm tray is the tidiest I've seen. The blue top spec is 50ish AHrs. What accessories is ur bro running? I typically run a fridge overnight and had 60ah going to low volt cut out.
Smitty, going to lithium would be awesome. I've previously hidden agms in the voids in a forester. Lithium adds a whole new dimension. What batteries are you using and what total Ah? I guess you need a good charge system also?

smitty_r51

Tink, thanks I had wondered about the alternator. Good to know I can use a switched solenoid to connect to main battery.
Cokedaddy216, cheers for the pic. The Tjm tray is the tidiest I've seen. The blue top spec is 50ish AHrs. What accessories is ur bro running? I typically run a fridge overnight and had 60ah going to low volt cut out.
Smitty, going to lithium would be awesome. I've previously hidden agms in the voids in a forester. Lithium adds a whole new dimension. What batteries are you using and what total Ah? I guess you need a good charge system also?
60AH running straight off the alternator... Been in the car for three or four years now... Loving it.
There is a post in the what did you do this weekend thread showing some pictures of the install

Battery was from evpower in wa

Cokedaddy216

The red arc tray we fabricated ourselves , the battery will run an Engel fridge full time , lunch , drinks that sorta stuff .
He goes to his truck for lunch as I have done for the last few year .
TJM tray yep very nice :D

Cokedaddy216

We just done the fuel filter on the D Max , if you service your own truck it'a a good idea to know how to replace the fuel filter before you install the second battery .
It's easily done without removing the batterys check it out on U Tube :cool: