MU-X 2013 -> Suspension Info

Ziggy

I had airbags installed too. Usual rear payload when towing is about 160-180 kgs & they're not really needed.
The only custom work would be mounting the reservoirs.

peterfermtech

Well after getting a quote for bilsteins and kings fitted for $2066 without airbags and wheel alignment and the quote of $2500 for the dobinsons RRs with the airbag and wheel alignment it came down to the extra $100.00 for the dobinsons. I've gone the dobinsons for the following reasons.
The Bilsteins are a standard off the shelf 45mm lift kit. That's it. I'm really only wanting 20-30 mm lift max as I want to keep as much droop as possible and some comfort. Also the pics from legolais1 concerned me with the cv angles.
With the dobinsons they are going to make special springs (custom work) for the rear to give me the 20+mm lift. The fronts will go the 45mm lift std load springs which will be supporting the bar and winch. Fronts are adjustable struts so I can get the balance between front and back set up correctly in a no load situation. I hope to run the airbags at minimum pressure but have them available when loaded with RTT gear and boat.

Dobinsons have been very helpful so far so I hope that they keep it up after fitting. Anyhow paid the deposit and should have them in a few weeks.

regards

Tink

Well after getting a quote for bilsteins and kings fitted for $2066 without airbags and wheel alignment and the quote of $2500 for the dobinsons RRs with the airbag and wheel alignment it came down to the extra $100.00 for the dobinsons. I've gone the dobinsons for the following reasons.
The Bilsteins are a standard off the shelf 45mm lift kit. That's it. I'm really only wanting 20-30 mm lift max as I want to keep as much droop as possible and some comfort. Also the pics from legolais1 concerned me with the cv angles.
With the dobinsons they are going to make special springs (custom work) for the rear to give me the 20+mm lift. The fronts will go the 45mm lift std load springs which will be supporting the bar and winch. Fronts are adjustable struts so I can get the balance between front and back set up correctly in a no load situation. I hope to run the airbags at minimum pressure but have them available when loaded with RTT gear and boat.

Dobinsons have been very helpful so far so I hope that they keep it up after fitting. Anyhow paid the deposit and should have them in a few weeks.
Um, just for clarity, the Bilsteins, or any other shock for that matter, do not increase lift. Springs and coils increase lift.
Tink

Tink

The purple ring is on a thread which gives you adjustment for height. http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/mrr-shock-absorbers/

regards
Sorry mate, it doesn't. A shock absorber can NOT adjust height as it does not carry load.

That "purple ring" adjusts the coil's compression. Therefore the coil is actually adjusting the height, not the shockie. Increasing or decreasing the coil compression, effects the handling.

Unless used for competition, adjustable shocks on a fourbie are a bit of a gimmick. They do work well on motrocycles. After you get them installed, let us know how many times you crawl under there and adjust them.
Tink

peterfermtech

I think you might have got off on the wrong track tink. Please read it again. I never said the shocker was adjusting the height nor did I say i would be adjusting it after the installer set it up for height. I'm not sure that it would be possible to do without spring compression tools. The fact is the adjustment on the shocker can be used to raise (or lower) the vehicles lift just as a spacer can be used. I'm pretty sure that is what I was implying in my post. I don't understand why people get so pedantic. I don't thick it should be necessary to write a treatise on vehicle suspension when I'm just commenting on what I'm doing on my vehicle.

regards

Tink

I think you might have got off on the wrong track tink. Please read it again. I never said the shocker was adjusting the height nor did I say i would be adjusting it after the installer set it up for height. I'm not sure that it would be possible to do without spring compression tools. The fact is the adjustment on the shocker can be used to raise (or lower) the vehicles lift just as a spacer can be used. I'm pretty sure that is what I was implying in my post. I don't understand why people get so pedantic. I don't thick it should be necessary to write a treatise on vehicle suspension when I'm just commenting on what I'm doing on my vehicle.

regards
Don't have a cow man:rolleyes:
If you used the correct terminology, I wouldn't have commented :D Your incorrect terminology inferred the Bilsteins had too much lift.
And in your last post, you are still insisting that there is adjustment on the shocker. There isn't. There is an adjustment and that adjustment is only for the coil, not the shock absorber.
Oh, and raising or lowering the height of the vehicle by means of compressing the coil, like you are suggesting, is a poor compromise. Far, far better to install the correct height coil in the first instance.
Have a nice day and good luck
Tink

Last edited:

peterfermtech

Ah! now I get it! Because I mentioned the the bilsteins and kings together and then latter chose to abreviate it to just bilsteins :oops: and then I made the mistake of calling it an adjustable strut but latter calling it a shocker which it is, but hang you called it a strut:oops:, which it is not, it is a coil over shock and the adjustment is on the shocker and whilst it is compressing the spring marginally it is no more than a slightly shorter stroked shocker.

Don't be so Pedantic.

regards

Ziggy

My Dobinson dampers now need rebuilding.
The front are the remote reservoir types and have about 20 k kms - a good proportion of hard ones.
The rear are the standard types and have under 30 k. They're not worth the cost so I'll toss them.

peterfermtech

I get my installation done next week. They have been making special height springs for the rear for the 20-30 mm lift I requested.
Geezz! I hope I get more than 20k out of mine although it is unlikely that I will be doing a lot of high speed corrugations. Will post up after I've given it a good run.

regards

Ziggy

I wasn't expecting more than 30 k given the conditions. But it is awkward one month into a 3 month trip given where we are.

Ziggy

Tanami (stranded at Newhaven by floodwaters) , Bungles, Broome. Heading to Ningaloo Jackolux. Yep, brilliant country.

Jackolux

Yep my kind of country , we hope to head West next week , want to have a look at Karijini , Ningaloo not sure which way to go , up the centre across Great Central , Tanami the Nullarbor , depends on weather a bit .
Have been to the Bungles , Gibb River Rd might have another look .

Ziggy

I'm told the north part of the Tanami has been graded after the rains that held us up couple of weeks back. The Kimberley though has still had a pretty dry wet.
We'll head back up after Shark Bay, prob via Karajini, and do the GRR and then NT.

Only problem has been spongy brakes after driving through ponded water up to the sills. The Alice dealer said the fluid hadn't been replaced when it should've been.

peterfermtech

OK, a bit of an update. Got the Dobinsons MRRs and airbags fitted with a request for a 20mm lift. The rear springs were specially made for that height. The front were standard height rated for the winch and bull bar but the height adjusted from the shocker. The heights came out at 535 and 555 front and rear which is exactly what I was after. After 7000km the heights are still the same so no sag. I haven't got out to do any serious 4wdriving so can't comment there but so far very impressed. With air in the airbags have towed the wood trailer (1.5 tonnes) a few times hardly noticing it there. Ride is a little bit firmer but far from harsh. I can hit shopping centre speed humps and not flinch. The wallowing of the OEM's is gone. The biggest noticeable improvement has been the braking with a more secure feel to stopping. Now to get out on some tough tracks.;)

regards

chuin

Yes, me too! Just had the Dobinson's/Bilstein's/PolyAir package put in a week ago - went for a 45mm lift all round. I haven't been off road with it but a significantly better ride on the bitumen - no more 'lumbering' round those roundabouts. Could also be my imagination but steering feels more direct too. (never underestimate the human mind to justify spending $).

I also had LR fuel tank fitted just prior. It was hanging about 25mm further down when fitted but with the suspension, it is quietly tucked up underneath