MU-X 2013 -> Fuel Tanks, Underbody, Wheels

MUX444

Has anyone compared the standard A/T and H/T MUX tyres on bitumen?
Is there much difference in handling, especially in the wet?
Are they noticeably noisier?

Thanks in advance
NRMA did a comparo on a Mux in a recent Caravan and RV magazine (issue 45? maybe Feb/March) Bridgestone H/T and 697s.

chuin

Fuel tank question again. ARB has release its own brand (Frontier tank) for an MUX. HAs anyone got one fitted? I looked at a sample of a tank polymer. Its a replacement tank so no need to move spare. Im wondering how much the tank drops below the existing one. There's not a lot of space so I figure it can only use the down space but before I commit (~$1100), I'd like to know others experience

Ziggy

Guy's name is Stewart. He's happy to talk.
I've got one. It isn't lower than the mass of stuff underneath. About the same height as the middle cross member. Rock crawling I've scraped the belly twice without ill effect. Did a 7k outback trip in July that included some atrocious corrugated roads and it was fine.
When the gauge says it's half full it's correct - 55 l. Haven't checked other indicated levels.
It's a solid unit. Have no hesitation recommending it.

chuin

Ziggy - thanks for info - appreciated. Now to look at my cash flow and book it in! I'm also looking to fit a secondary fuel filter

chuin

Secondary fuel filter in. Bought it online through diesel care.
Minor hitch, I had a dual battery installed earlier in the year and the isolating switch was right where the filter was to be located. Have to relocate the switch, it's currently hanging by cable ties.

MaxZebra

I put Bridgestone 697 LTs on mine. Same size as the original HT tyres. Going well so far, work great in sand, looking forward to putting them through their paces on a bush driving course later this month. Pretty quiet on road and perform very well in the wet.

Glad to hear this - got some 697's com1ng tomorrow - 255/70 R16. Changed the 17 inch rims on my LT to the 16 inchers from the LM version. (So, up from 245/70 to 255/70 to get the overall diameter, and a lift in ground clearance.) Looks like this will be just what I have wanted. Going to hit Tibooburra in January - really looking to giving my new MUX a good run!

Thanks for the pressure guidance - always handy to get others' experiences!

MUX444

I put 697s on last week. 265/65/17s. As they go on Prado and possibly other Toyotas are common, easy to find and cheaper. Spare fits ok too and gives slight lift. HTs did 27000 through Kakadu, the Kimberley and Pilbara and surprised me as they were better than I thought they would be but rather LT A/Ts. Couldn't get a good price for changeover when I bought it so decided to get some use out of them then change.
Also fitted an ARB frontier tank. Very neat. I guess suspension next as front end makes a racket over some speed bumps. Isuzu service keeps telling me nothing is wrong. They must be deaf.

MUX STX

I put 697s on last week. 265/65/17s. As they go on Prado and possibly other Toyotas are common, easy to find and cheaper. Spare fits ok too and gives slight lift. HTs did 27000 through Kakadu, the Kimberley and Pilbara and surprised me as they were better than I thoughhttp://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/front-tyre-wear-current-models.36746/t they would be but rather LT A/Ts. Couldn't get a good price for changeover when I bought it so decided to get some use out of them then change.
Also fitted an ARB frontier tank. Very neat. I guess suspension next as front end makes a racket over some speed bumps. Isuzu service keeps telling me nothing is wrong. They must be deaf.
Have a look at the #17 post in this thread, it may be helpful.

http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/front-tyre-wear-current-models.36746/

MaxZebra

What tyres are you guys putting on your MUX?
This is a long time later than the original post .....

I have just gone on our first trip in a MU-X LST where the original tyres are 265/65-17. When I bought the MU-X, I had the 16 inch wheels from the LS-M fitted, and changed the tyres to 255/70-16. Would have gone to 265/70 - 16, but couldn't get the right construction tyres. The tyres I got were Bridgestone 697's.

Fabulous tyres. We had to go 110km in the mud due to a change in the weather that had not been forecast. Did very well!

Pressures were 40 on the tarmac, 30 on the gravel, 25 in the mud, and 17 in the sand. Great car. Great trip. Lovely tyres!

Tink

I am runnning 265x70R16LT Bridgestone D697 ATs on my Dmax. What do you mean by right construction?
Tink

MaxZebra

I am runnning 265x70R16LT Bridgestone D697 ATs on my Dmax. What do you mean by right construction?
Tink

Well Tink, that's it - the tyres you are using are 'LT' for 'light truck' - and that seems right for D-Max. I reckon you get a speedo that is closer to the mark too, with the bigger circumference.

I just felt that I would still rather persevere with passenger vehicle tyres - and while I have forgotten the differences in the way the tyres are built for passenger vehicle or LT use, I do know that they're different. It might not have made any difference - and I wish I had known you to ask before buying new tyres for a new vehicle - but in this instance I took the conservative position and stayed with specifically passenger vehicle tyres. Cheers!

AH_MUXLST

Ziggy, now that you have had the Frontier 112l long range tank for a few months? Any regrets? Also, how have you found your fuel economy now you have an extra 40Kg? I am about to book my LST in next week to get it done?

monbeg

Mine is going in for the tank on the 4th April.
Thinking I might get the OME suspension done too. The empty drawers weigh 115 kg, the fridge is about 36 kg empty, folded up tent is 24 kg, portable second battery and Redarc charger attached box is about 36 kg and now adding an extra 45 litres of fuel which is about 35 kgs.
Add at least another 100 kg + for contents and I have at least 350 kgs mostly where the rear seats were !
No wonder it feels spongy on the rear, going to be worse when the new tank is added.

Ziggy

Ziggy, now that you have had the Frontier AutoXtras 112l long range tank for a few months? Any regrets? Also, how have you found your fuel economy now you have an extra 40Kg? I am about to book my LST in next week to get it done?
No, no regrets. Prob the only mod that delivers 100%. I fill it half full around town. But fuel is up at least half an lph with the bullbar and suspension lift alone.

underdog

Mine is going in for the tank on the 4th April.
Thinking I might get the OME suspension done too. The empty drawers weigh 115 kg, the fridge is about 36 kg empty, folded up tent is 24 kg, portable second battery and Redarc charger attached box is about 36 kg and now adding an extra 45 litres of fuel which is about 35 kgs.
Add at least another 100 kg + for contents and I have at least 350 kgs mostly where the rear seats were !
No wonder it feels spongy on the rear, going to be worse when the new tank is added.
Your EMPTY drawers weigh 115kg :eek: Mate that is insane; I'm hoping for your sake, typo?