Mt Torbreck Visit to Avro Anson A4-4 Crash Site

Spooner

Today almost a year from when we 1st tried to visit this place we finally got there :)
Before you read my report read this link below to see how this monument's state was back in 2013
http://www.ozatwar.com/ozcrashes/vic88.htm
Was great to catch up with Anthony @Neat 60 and his mates to see all the rewards for their hard effort and work over the last 4 years to make this into something to be proud of and something that everyone can access and enjoy .
Its a very special place :)
IMAG1586.jpg

We made the walk up in about an hour taking it easy , Its stunning countryside with birds and wildlife everywhere .
It is mildly steep at the start then tapers off to some flatter sections on the way up.
Take the same amount of time coming back down , lol , If your getting on like us the knees really start to feel the pain at the end.
The downhill hurt more than going uphill ;)

IMAG1565.jpg

We had a cloudy day with the odd bursts of sunshine , which once out made you feel hot straight away , by the time we got to the top had stripped off jackets and jumpers . But its very unpredictable weather up there so you mush be prepared for anything (weather wise) ;)
Once we reached the site it amazing the amount of work done to make it special.
A credit to all involved in all the hard work done :)
IMAG1573.jpg

IMAG1585.jpg

IMAG1571.jpg

I took lots of other photos but this one sums it up the best , after 10 minutes at the top , the clouds rolled in , a picture says a thousand words in my eyes anyway . Im so happy that some people have the guts and willpower to change things by hand and hard work instead of liking it on Facebook or some other Internet Forum and then feel better about it after clicking on a computer keyboard button , thinking that they have contributed to something.
Hats off to all Involved in this Project . We are humbled to be able to be here .

Cheers Rick and Jean

IMAG1580.jpg

BIGCOL

Brilliant Rick and Jean, thanks for making the effort through the day to pay your respects and then post us this great report.

Regards Col.

Spooner

Brilliant Rick and Jean, thanks for making the effort through the day to pay your respects and then post us this great report.

Regards Col.
Plenty of fungi up there as well Col , will post them up in the Fungi section later :)

Spooner

It was great to meet you Rick & Jean and thanks for the humbling words. To see people making the journey up there to appreciate what the site truly represents is what makes it all worthwhile.
It was a pleasure mate , I have an interest in RAAF history as well
Frank 101.jpg

my old Uncle Frank was the sole survivor of Catalina A24-105 that crashed in Georgetown QLD in 1950
http://www.adf-gallery.com.au

cam04

There was a Sunday history post about that crash on exploroz a year or so back Spooner - did you see it?

Bomber2012

Hats off to Anthony and all involved , I was first alerted to this on the other forum .
Thanks to you guys there is now a lasting memorial to these men who served our country .