Change background image

Mt Terrible Via Newman's track or Mt Terrible track

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Shehan Wilfred, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Shehan Wilfred

Shehan Wilfred New Member

Hi all,
    I am planning to head to Mt terrible soon (one day trip) and I have 2 tracks on my mind, the Mt terrible track and the Newman's track. So when going from Melbourne, Newman's track is the closest but Mt terrible is not too far along the Eildon-Jamiseon rd. Could someone give me advice on the difficulty of Newman's track compared to Mt terrible? I did google a bit but could not really dig up any information about the Newman's track, most of the people who had been to Mt terrible had taken the mt terrible track.
    Also would there be snow at this time of the year on the summit of Mt terrible?
    Thank you mates ;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Been a few years but from memory, Newman's had some steep red clay in parts.
    Mt terrible trk would IMO be the better track, well used and was in good condition.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. Shehan Wilfred

Thank for the reply mate. I might change to mt terrible track however, that is about another extra 40 minutes drive hence why I want to know the Newman's track difficulty.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Either track is ok easy , like Deano said Newmans has a softer base and can be slippery in spots if wet .
    If you haven't been there before . Id recommend to start at Bald Hill Gap at the Mt Terrible track , because you are starting at a higher altitude , it runs across the ridge line . Has good grip on a rocky base . Offers some stunning views either side in spots of Lake Eildon & Jamieson ,
    Mt Terrible Bill.jpg
    Really depends on what tyres you are running , you need good grip , highway AT's won't cut it on the slippery bits ;) Normal off road LT AT's are fine , you don't need muddies. But drive with caution and care ;)
    IMAG0502.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  5. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you go out there by yourself with the missus on highway tires, no spare food water or blankets, no recovery points or gear:rolleyes:
    Ah she will be right

dno67 and Spooner like this.
  6. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Bloke was lucky you guys came along .

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

He was a complete idiot , driving his mums car . Was roaring around at full noise . Had no idea of where he was , wouldn't be told and wouldn't wait to follow us down safely , so he took off on his own. Got only 300m down Danes Spur tk , off Newman's track .
    Only one small tree saved both their lives . Yet they still found the whole thing highly amusing like fun :rolleyes:
    NFI and it would have been an ugly ending if it wasn't there. It was a straight over the edge a long, long way down .

Bomber2012 and dno67 like this.
  8. Shehan Wilfred

Thanks mate, thanks for the detailed reply. I read about your trip to Mt terrible on another thread, quite interesting. I will definitely be starting at the Bald Hill Gap as you have recommended, I do want to get some awesome shots. As for the tires, unfortunately, am running Ht's but they are quite new. I have the recovery gear and also a manual hand winch, just-in-case. I am planning to record the trip with a use of an action camera, so hoping to get some good footage.

9. slivertoy

slivertoy Well-Known Member

memorable day, that was......freakin' clown, made me late for dinner :D