• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

MT or Cooper ???

Hey there...
I'm up for a new set of tyres - and so far I came down to take what I had last time...
I got more than 90000 km out of my MTZ's and was very happy with the over all performance...

so I went to the Tyre place for a quote on 5 new ones...
and I got a quite good price on them - BUT...
the bloke there told me he could give me a set of Cooper STT for just 10 bugs more per tyre....

what would you do - stick with something that you know works well with your 4by or try the new ones???:rolleyes:

adam10_1990

this is not from my experience but what i have read in other forums. they say that the coopers are made at the same place as the mickeys. and the other thing i have heard about the stts is, they have weak side walls (prone to punctures from sticks and such) the make helluva lotta noise when they wear down a bit, and when worn down they tend to get a little slippery on wet roads. i have 2 on the back of the prado, and had alot of fun with them in the mud, but im changing to the micky t mtzs as i believe they are a much better tyre.

Alpha 1

After much thought, and advise, I have just bought my MTZ's. I got a better deal from the supplier and they were more helpfull. TJM in O'Connnor. After driving to and from work they are not that noisey and have been great at the Power Lines. I think they also look meaner than Coopers. Overall though I don't think there is much difference in performance. but I'm no expert.

Must be a very good driver, not like us young hoons,
yea - lets say I'm gentle to my truck as long as possible :p

well a lot of people told me before I got the MTZ that they are not any good...
in the end I went with them cos I couldn't get the Geolander+ I wanted...
well I was surprised how they perform and certainly I was very surprised as my 2. timing-belt service came up with the same tyres I had on at the first time...
they still have some life left and will go on a farm vehicle until they are gone totally...
I think I should stick with them - just a sort of a guts feeling...

richardlnsw

yea - lets say I'm gentle to my truck as long as possible :p

well a lot of people told me before I got the MTZ that they are not any good...
in the end I went with them cos I couldn't get the Geolander+ I wanted...
well I was surprised how they perform and certainly I was very surprised as my 2. timing-belt service came up with the same tyres I had on at the first time...
they still have some life left and will go on a farm vehicle until they are gone totally...
I think I should stick with them - just a sort of a guts feeling...
If you changed and weren't happy it would really piss you off, i bet. I would stick.
IMO.

ball12

stt's are shit, they crapness has been covered in a thread not to far down the list from this one

Out on Patrol

stt's are shit, they crapness has been covered in a thread not to far down the list from this one
Agreed have had both nd the coopers were absolute rubbish.

On my second set of MTZ's

The tyre place probably has a much higher mark up on the coopers so he pushes them.

Ben

Deadman

I've been quoted a good price on coopers new stmaxx. they look pretty good and come with an 80000km warranty as long as u rotate ur tyre every 10000km. im also looking ay the federal coragia mt. the procomp extreme are pretty much same price as the coopers. So many choices out there its hard to choose.

Agreed have had both nd the coopers were absolute rubbish.

On my second set of MTZ's

The tyre place probably has a much higher mark up on the coopers so he pushes them.

Ben
hey Ben...
yea you are probably right about that - he was quite pushy on the coopers...
I guess I will go with what I know is good... so no I don't get less than I expect...

cheers to everyone for some input ;)

Out on Patrol

I've been quoted a good price on coopers new stmaxx. they look pretty good and come with an 80000km warranty as long as u rotate ur tyre every 10000km. im also looking ay the federal coragia mt. the procomp extreme are pretty much same price as the coopers. So many choices out there its hard to choose.
Coopers warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

I tried to take on of mine back that the sidewall split whilst parked in the driveway. Clearly a fault in the tyre and not a cut from a rock. The guy asked me if I had taken it off road then it voids the warranty. I had not taken it off road yet (the tyres were about a month old) but i still had to pay full price for a replacement garbage tyre to get me out of trouble.

Never felt safe driving on them again.

Deadman

Cheers for that out on patrol always good to hear reports like that. I've currently got Kelly safari trek which I've been pretty happy with but they are expensive and plenty of other options out there that are better.

Coopers warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

I tried to take on of mine back that the sidewall split whilst parked in the driveway. Clearly a fault in the tyre and not a cut from a rock. The guy asked me if I had taken it off road then it voids the warranty. I had not taken it off road yet (the tyres were about a month old) but i still had to pay full price for a replacement garbage tyre to get me out of trouble.

Never felt safe driving on them again.
hey honestly - what sense does it make if you not allowed to take an offroad tyre - offroad???
they could put that warranty up their b...

Swaggie

I got more than 90000 km out of my MTZ's and was very happy with the over all performance...
Hiya Tom

I know there great but did they ever see offroad...:D:D,I do about 10k a year and at least half of that is in the High Country,Walhalla,Woods Point,Butcher Country etc etc...Ive done about 30k on them,Let them down to about 25psi on rocky/shaley stuff which is 90% of the time....Dont know if they'll see out another 10k....

cheers

Hiya Tom

I know there great but did they ever see offroad...:D:D,I do about 10k a year and at least half of that is in the High Country,Walhalla,Woods Point,Butcher Country etc etc...Ive done about 30k on them,Let them down to about 25psi on rocky/shaley stuff which is 90% of the time....Dont know if they'll see out another 10k....

cheers
hey Swaggie...
they have seen offroad - but not as much as i liked ;)
but honestly I would even be fine with a good tyre if I get 40000 out of them...
the thing with tyre is - the older they get the harder becomes the compound - that's when you start to loose traction... and I would have changed them before but - as it isn't really easy to start a new life in a new country I haven't had the dough for doing that earlier
the last 20000 I spent on a farm - mostly sharp rocky stuff - they did well but it left it's marks too - and again not as bad as a lot of people predicted ;)
I like the fact that they are a bit "soft" and the traction surprised me heaps....
and it seems they fit to the pajero like a bum on a bucket :D:rolleyes:

Driver

I had Cooper S/T's for 70k with no problems mainly around SA so lots of sand. Just upgraded to the S/T Maxx and really happy with them in the mud and on the road. My mate on BFG's slid off a track last week but I had no problems even after churning the mud to get around him to pull him out.