MRT under tray toolboxes

TimNWVic

Thinking of getting a pair of these to go under the Ranger tray

MRT2CS-feature-image.png

Anyone have them and can comment on quality?

Or alternatives?

Last edited:

Noel Preston

I have 4 MRT toolboxes mounted under my tray. I couldn't see the point in the tapered ones as the rectangle ones have plenty of clearance. I just travelled the OTT in both directions as well as Frenchmans track and never had an issue with clearance. Quality is good but drill a drain hole in the bottom as they will most likely leak a bit especially in creek crossings. I asked if a battery could be mounted in one and they said no, not designed for things of that weight. As can be seen the spare tyre and tow bar are much lower than the bottom of the toolboxes.
P4290309.JPG
P9220063.JPG

TimNWVic

Thanks Noel. I expected them to leak a little bit so that's a good tip about putting a drain hole in it. I'm planning on storing ropes/straps, cable ties, oil, etc in one, maybe recovery kit and compressor hose in the other. Nothing too heavy (compressor will be mounted inside canopy).

A concern was how reliable the catches are, but I'm sure if one fell open and you lost everything in it you would have mentioned that!

Going for the angled one purely for aesthetics.

Noel Preston

I wanted the room plus a flat floor. I’ve never had a door come open. I bolted mine through the tray floor using cup head bolts.

TimNWVic

Yeah I'm hoping the angled ones will be big enough, but on spec I think they will. I'm in a Ranger dual cab with a Ford 1800mm tray so it already hangs out behind the back wheels a fair bit, less room will allow for less weight to go back there.

Batts88

I put 4 of them under my GQ ute may be 9yrs ago no problems great quality, price compared to some of the dearer brands. I've had no water leaks but haven't been in any deep water crossings but I do have 2 air compressors mounted in one of them and couldn't open the door wth one compressor running so seals are very good.

TimNWVic

Thanks Batts, good info.

Spoke to a guy at MRT, told him I wanted to order a pair - he promised to get back to me with a freight quote. 3 weeks later and no response. I'll give them another call.

Batts88

Bit slack when I got mine they were delivered to a transport depot in Mackay for about $400 total then the delivery company wanted something like $50 to cart them 20km to my place so I picked them up.

TimNWVic

Yeah, I am concerned about it. Will keep looking before I commit.

Rang these guys to confirm the postage was free to Mildura, they sounded a bit dodgy so I'm not that keen anyway.

a1bert

Ask, is it marine grade chequer plate, if not forget it! When i bought my box for the back of the ute there was a mob in Dandenong importing boxes a grand cheaper, couldn't figure out why then realised not marine grade. What happens is they oxidise and get streaky and look sh1t (and that is the alloy combination they use too)
Ex Comalco Rep
MRT do use Aussie marine grade alloys

TimNWVic

This cheap mob with the 2mm boxes is in Laverton. I asked them previously for a quote on a custom canopy (1500x1750x650mm, 2 doors), they said it would be 8 weeks since they are shipped in from China.

So they can custom build a canopy to my spec in China, ship it to Australia, pay customs duties and fees, add their profit margin and GST, for $2100. They must be cutting corners somewhere, my local fabricator quoted $5500 for the same thing, another local guy quoted $9000.

Albynsw

I just took delivery of a new canopy and it is made in China like the rest and it is fine, the quality of the welds is as good as any other could do.
My current canopy I am replacing has done plenty of trips and has held up just fine as well.

Warby

This cheap mob with the 2mm boxes is in Laverton. I asked them previously for a quote on a custom canopy (1500x1750x650mm, 2 doors), they said it would be 8 weeks since they are shipped in from China.

So they can custom build a canopy to my spec in China, ship it to Australia, pay customs duties and fees, add their profit margin and GST, for $2100. They must be cutting corners somewhere, my local fabricator quoted $5500 for the same thing, another local guy quoted $9000.

The fact that there can be ~$4k (and more if you start going to some of the big name fabricators) between the locals for (what I assume) are comparable designs, materials and timelines should tell you that a large part of the cheaper Chinese quote is nothing to do with cutting corners...

The prices that some Australian fabricators charge for a tin box is absolutely crazy.

Albynsw

The fact that there can be ~$4k (and more if you start going to some of the big name fabricators) between the locals for (what I assume) are comparable designs, materials and timelines should tell you that a large part of the cheaper Chinese quote is nothing to do with cutting corners...

The prices that some Australian fabricators charge for a tin box is absolutely crazy.

To be fair though, the raw material and labour would be a lot cheaper in China plus they would be operating on a much larger scale than your local fabricator
From memory my first canopy I had made up locally used 6 sheets of aluminium. If you look at the material costs for that it is about the same as a finished imported one

Warby

To be fair though, the raw material and labour would be a lot cheaper in China plus they would be operating on a much larger scale than your local fabricator
From memory my first canopy I had made up locally used 6 sheets of aluminium. If you look at the material costs for that it is about the same as a finished imported one

Absolutely, I should have mentioned that.... ALL costs are lower in China. Fixed and variable.. everything from the materials, to the labourer, to the equipment. It all cost less, so of course the price is going to come out significantly lower than something locally produced... It doesn't necessarily mean that they've cut any corners, they just don't need to price it as high to make a profit.

a1bert

As i said previously, ask if it is marine grade, the box i referred to previous post was a China import, take your chances but remember you were warned when it goes to sh1t and you thought you were getting a bargain,
ps Mill Finish ((which it is) is an anodising grade, softer no where as durable or hard as marine grade.
Was at Coles/Linfox in Melbourne several years ago, a guy had painted his box due to it oxidising, didn't look too good and he was far from impressed
As mentioned, i was a sales rep for Comalco sheet and extrusion so hope i know a little
Remember what Clint Eastwood said in his movie when he had fired off 6 shots at the bank robber
Take your chances buying cheap! (no he did not say that):eek:
Edit 2mm marine grade would be fine , 2mm sh1t metal =sh1t

TimNWVic

Couldn't agree more. They charge this because they know people will pay it. There's obviously a lot of people out there with a much higher disposable income than mine.

I've worked out the materials cost for the canopy - if I do rhs steel frame, aluminum clad, it's about $1k (Australian retail prices). I'm still thinking of buying a mig and just doing it myself.

Re the toolboxes, considering getting the MRT toolboxes and accepting the $190 delivery cost. Just part of living out here.