MR stock size AT tyres recommendations 265/60/18

jimmyjojo

Howdy all.

Looking to replace my the stock tyres on my new MR GLS. I took the new girl for a run last weekend and found the rear stepped out way to easily on wet hard pack. It was a bit slimy but I was losing the rear at 45kms on the slightest bend. Then when I hit a pot hole at 60kms the rear lightened (empty tray) and sent my ar$e sideways. I hadn't reduced my air pressures which would have helped but the stock tyres are just unacceptable. On road they are fine. However I was really surprised that I was easily getting up and down steep smooth wet rock tracks on some gnarly sections, so they aren't completely useless.

So I'm seeking recommendations for a good set of ATs. I've been bitten by cheap unknown tyres so I'd rather stick with tried and tested. I know there are a million threats on the topic but I've spent a half a life time on these threads over the years and my poor old eyes (and my patience) are not what they use to be. Happy to have somebody point me to a decent threat otherwise I'm interested in peoples experiences.

Expected use:
Mostly road
5-10 off road day trips a year. Nothing crazy as the car is staying stock for now but I do like to take the car to it's safe limits for small challenges.
2-4 family trips a year - High county, flinders ect.

Priorities:
Wet blacktop and gravel grip (It's a family car after all)
Decent puncture resistance
Acceptable mileage (60ks)
Decent off road grip
Price max $450 each

Triton14

Get ready for 50 different opinions :)

I did 3 months worth of research before I came to my conclusion & I cant complain about my Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's, my 1st set of AT's & I'd buy them again for sure.

In saying that I have 2 sets of wheels, one for highway use the other for offroad trips.

Doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you will get sick of the AT noise on the tar & also the extra cost of fuel plus the fact your wearing out a $350+ tyre on the freeway over a $200.

Just need a battery rattle gun & a HD jack & 30 minutes later your ready for a trip for offroad.

Does not suit everyone but suits me.
Baja.jpg

Last edited: