Mozzie/Midge Repellents - What do people recommend?

rob_macca67

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is in the right section...sorry if that it the case...

For some reason now I've been out twice camping & exploring, etc and been hit by midges where by in the days following I have really bad reactions to the midge bites, so I'm seeking out what is on the market to help protect you against Midges &/or Mozzies and any other annoying bugs?

What do people recommend and have success with?
Are these products pet friendly?
What other methods do people use to ward off the dreaded Midge/mozzie?

thanks in advance....

callmejoe

Stuff sitting in the smoke.
I wear long sleeve light weight shirts, and shorts as I always wear shorts.
A good quality shirt will NOT make u any hotter then wearing a singlet, and can actually make you cooler, and thats a fact. Uncovered parts I use bushman repellent. Good part about a shirt is it also give sun protection throughout the day.

The electronic mozzie coils work well for us.

CTL

I got onto this a while ago and think it is great

www.thelocals.net.au

1645335573706.png
1645335573706.png

Petunia

It rained, we had a surge in midge/sandfly hatching. I get immediately itchy and ulcerate it 2 days, takes 3 months to heal.

Simple liberal application, wetting the area with >>>>
shopping

itch gone in under 5 minutes no ulceration, next 20 minutes I not even know i had an encounter, also optically brightens your whites as a bonus, available at the Muckadilla 4square store. :cool:

rob_macca67

It rained, we had a surge in midge/sandfly hatching. I get immediately itchy and ulcerate it 2 days, takes 3 months to heal.

Simple liberal application, wetting the area with >>>>
shopping

itch gone in under 5 minutes no ulceration, next 20 minutes I not even know i had an encounter, also optically brightens your whites as a bonus, available at the Muckadilla 4square store. :cool:

Really? Isn’t that dish washing liquid?

LongRoad2Go

Spend a lot of time in the Northern Rivers of NSW. Lots of swamps and coastal areas. All the old blokes 'in the know' who were out fishing, oystering and crabbing always wore light coloured long sleeve shirts, trousers, hat and sandshoes (volleys or high ankle canvas gym boots) = cool, protection from bugs and sun, and good grip footwear in sand, on rocks and ankle protection around oyster beds/mangroves. So, tried and tested over the decades:

Sand flies: best protection is clothing. And, it’s much better than putting chemicals on skin – particularly in the sun and when fishing/oystering.
Mosquitoes: never worried me much, mosquito coils or cow dung work okay. Again, prefer not to use chemicals on exposed skin and just wear long sleeves. Never an issue on legs.

If the bugs are causing a worry, particularly in the evening, obviously not enough alcohol is being consumed!

Our family favourite treatments for bites, scrapes, scratches, and colds has always been (Vicks is also good on bites):

salve_and_ointment.png

Petunia

Really? Isn’t that dish washing liquid?
Really! YES, It is an in wash optical brightener for your white clothes, it is alchemy trickery being blue, in sunlight, your whites appear whiter.
Reckitts Blue bags, like me granny used, only in a bottle, because reckitts blue bags have become collectors items, early blueing was with powdered lapis lazuli.
Think Poultice, the little beast injects you, this draws it back out, and really works for me at least. NOTE: Results may vary from those shown on the package, non toxic. Warning: you may appear as a bad cloned extra from Avatar.

Think outside the box.:cool:

ps: it is a treatment, not a repellant.

Batts88

Also I have always found Berocca to help if you know you're going out where you can be attacked by these little pests. One tablet before you go away the sooner the better and 1 per day after bitten It helps a lot to reduce or stop the itching. I still get the red blotches from bites but they're usually not itchy so heal faster. I've been using it since the late 1980's. The only time it didn't really help was at Twin Bridges Lotus creek QLD when I got swarmed by very large sandflies near a freshwater river during the wet season they were like the Arnold Schwarzenegger of the sanfly species. I had to run back to the chopper oh I mean 4wd and the little buggers got in every where I drove up the road a bit got out and literally drowned them with Aero guard. I'd rather be attacked by sandflies in the mangroves any day than those buggers.

LurchWA

I use clothing mostly as i am a magnet for mozzies and sandflies. It has been known for me to be invited on sum trips simply because of my decoy value!
Equal parts of tea tree, eucalyptus and baby oils has worked well for me in the past too