Moving water meter, whats my options?

Bainsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
hey guys, with over 10000 members im sure there is someone in the know about moving my water meter!

we have a house getting built in gippsland, victoria. where our driveway comes from the double garage, the water meter is smack bang in the middle! it needs to be moved minimum 3 meters to the left or right.

i am wanting to know can i just move the meter over and run pipe from where the meter used to be to brigde the gap, or will the original meter have to be capped off and a new pipe ran from the water main (which is on the oposite side of the road) then under the road and under the path? to the new meter location?

any help would be great, thanks

Joe

You should be able to move the meter from where it is now to where you want it without to many dramas. It might be worth it to ask a plumber as to how easy or difficult it will be to do.

frosty

The Gold Coast City Council wanted $2.5K to move ours when we built our house years ago. So we moved the house around to suit!

Bainsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
The Gold Coast City Council wanted $2.5K to move ours when we built our house years ago. So we moved the house around to suit!

we cant really do that, if me move it to the right our bedroom will be in the neibours place and any more to the left and ill have no access to the back yard :mad:

iv been told it can be put in a pit so we can drive over it but its not to be concreted over, but that is yet to be confirmed. i would be happy with this option

As far as I know you need you water authority to move it, that how was when dad worked for the water board, it may have changed but any plumber will be able to tell you that over the phone.

Are you building the place yourself or is it through a building company? If it is through a building company I would have thought they would have checked that before commencing work.

Bainsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
As far as I know you need you water authority to move it, that how was when dad worked for the water board, it may have changed but any plumber will be able to tell you that over the phone.

Are you building the place yourself or is it through a building company? If it is through a building company I would have thought they would have checked that before commencing work.

they havint started building yet, they start in 2 weeks! because were not allowd to answer our phones at work i got a message on my phone yesterday saying it has to be moved. as soon as i got the message i tired ringing gippsland whater but they arnt open till monday. so i have only days to sort it out! :mad:

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
There is no reason I can think of other than access for building why the meter can't be left where it is till the drive has to be done.
It can be moved as said buy extending the pipe but it would be a water supplier issue.
The water suplier owns the pipe to the meter and the household after the meter.

I know this as I might have run 1 or 2 over in the past while delivering scaffolding:rolleyes:

Happy building:)

Agent 13

have seen then in pits under the driveway... probly the best place for them really! well out of the way.

As said, you cant just move it yourself. Before the meter is water board business, to start with the water has to be turned off at the next point before your meter, probably affecting th whole street.

Bainsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
have seen then in pits under the driveway... probly the best place for them really! well out of the way.

As said, you cant just move it yourself. Before the meter is water board business, to start with the water has to be turned off at the next point before your meter, probably affecting th whole street.

theres no houses on the whole street so that wont be an issue.

russell1974

hey mate! u could always put it in a concrete pit with a grate over it for ease of access as this way its not concreted over and its not buried

Bainsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
hey mate! u could always put it in a concrete pit with a grate over it for ease of access as this way its not concreted over and its not buried

yeah i want to do somthing similar but they told me they cant concrete over the pipe from the main to the meter, but i gota get this confirmed by the waterboard

mianme

What we used to do Bainsy was position a stop tap/gate valve at the end of the feed that comes from the main to your meter and bury it. Place what we call a 6” x 6” Fitzroy box over the valve, this is a cast iron box with a hinged lid so the valve can be accessed. From the valve run your new service parallel to the building line to where your meter is to be located. Reinstall your existing meter and away you go.

I’d still check with your local plumber, but this was what we used to do in the bad old days.

Mick

BAZ_747

Agree with russel, also if u like just move it yourself, BEFORE the building starts, they prob will never know anyway, i did heaps to my place against council/water board reg's.

Didint say nothing!!! BUT lower it and piut a steel grate over it like russel said!! easiest and cheapest option

Bainsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
aparently i could move it for the cost of a few grand... STUFF THAT! we just moved the garage to the other side of the house. problem solved! :)