Moving to Melb from beautiful, sunny QLD.... scenic route options

denk

Hi guys

Career progress sometimes isnt the most enjoyable thing in life... leaving the safe, sunny and beautiful Queensland for Melbourne in a month or so. Looking to drive a scenic route or any kind of worthwhile towns to check out on the way down. Just came off 7 nights on Fraser Island... but honestly looking foward to everything VIC outdoors has on offer for us! Hit me with your recommendations guys and gals.

Also... will I need a big winter jacket for August? Serious question.

CTL

Warrumbungle Range, Coonabaraban Observatory, Dubbo Zoo, The Dish, camping on the Murrumbidgee and the Murray, heaps of older towns to explore. All down the Newell which is 110kph for 99% of the way.

Albynsw

Find a new career path and stay in Qld :)

Depending on your preference, there are all the inland towns to see or plenty of coastal ones too. The coastal router is usually much busier though
Don’t waste your time with the Vic places, they are in easy reach of Melbourne when you are down there, concentrate on the places further away

phs

Doesn’t sound like your that keen to come down so best stay there surly you can find work.

Nothing to see and do here mate, just cold wet and windy.

frequently drops below zero over night in the outer burbs today is a top of 10c wouldnt move to for quids

Last edited:

a1bert

phs, you sound like you don't want him in VIC :D
Swore i would never complain about Melbournes weather again after winters in London, now there is a depressing place, dark,drizzely and cold. Melbourne is like the Sunshine coast compared, no wonder you see the poms walking around in t shirts, shorts and thongs this time of year
Coastal Rd all the way, you will have plenty of time on the inland roads when you do your obligatory trips back to visit the out laws etc

Skurfer

Find a new career path and stay in Qld :)

Depending on your preference, there are all the inland towns to see or plenty of coastal ones too. The coastal router is usually much busier though
Don’t waste your time with the Vic places, they are in easy reach of Melbourne when you are down there, concentrate on the places further away
This.
I moved to Vic with the family for career progression and although I now have a job I love and good money, I hate living in this state due to the weather. Even summer isn't that great due to the constant cold fronts that come through after every few days of warmer weather. Winter is a write off. We still get out for plenty of camping and such but be prepared that anything from about late April to early September is basically cold and wet and much of the state's tracks closed off due to seasonal closures.

Problem now is as life changes and lifestyle suits the money you earn, I would find it very hard to move back now for less money. Hasn't stopped us considering it though. I didn't really realise how good the weather is in QLD especially over winter until I left.

Sorry to be a downer on your promotion and I hope it works out really well for you. Job wise it really did for me. The money and opportunities available down here in Vic is ridiculous compared to QLD and I reckon that is something Victorians take a bit for granted. Just look at house prices down here as an indication of that.

discomatt

Some interesting comments but I fail to remember when Brisbane or any other city in Australia for that matter has been voted several times the most livable city in the world....
yes the world, most livable city, should I repeat that again?
There is no bad weather just inappropriate clothing ;)

phs

life is not all about money it’s about quality of life if that does not work for you in Vic it is a fairly easy decision move

personally can’t stand humidity and you could not pay enough me to move to QLD...

I’d consider WA though;)
but very happy in Victoria so doubt we will be going anywhere

Last edited:

denk

Geeeeeeez you guys are too much!! :D

Well the new gig is well worth putting up with cold weather thats for sure. I think we might look at some alternate route through NSW and check out some towns and places along the way. As for the coat, hahaha ok i think ill need to upgrade my QLD wardrobe. Something like a summer snow jacket or something?

Reactions: phs

denk

This.
I moved to Vic with the family for career progression and although I now have a job I love and good money, I hate living in this state due to the weather. Even summer isn't that great due to the constant cold fronts that come through after every few days of warmer weather. Winter is a write off. We still get out for plenty of camping and such but be prepared that anything from about late April to early September is basically cold and wet and much of the state's tracks closed off due to seasonal closures.

Problem now is as life changes and lifestyle suits the money you earn, I would find it very hard to move back now for less money. Hasn't stopped us considering it though. I didn't really realise how good the weather is in QLD especially over winter until I left.

Sorry to be a downer on your promotion and I hope it works out really well for you. Job wise it really did for me. The money and opportunities available down here in Vic is ridiculous compared to QLD and I reckon that is something Victorians take a bit for granted. Just look at house prices down here as an indication of that.
Im leaving Defence after a fair while and the new opportunity is excellent and my wife is finally heading back to where I dragged her away from lol We are keeping our house in QLD so you never know what the future holds!!

Kippie

Wouldn't want to move to Melbourne now, with the second wave in certain suburbs. We are in regional western Victoria and yes, it's cold at the moment. But we are nice and comfortable in our warm house and the way I see it is that on average I spend most of my time in the house each day that it doesn't really matter what the weather is. If I have to go outside I'll dress appropriately and yes, now that includes a winter coat and beanie.

Lost1?

You need a jacket every month of the year in Melbourne. Mid June to August is coldest time of year down here.

You could follow the coast down to Sydney then pick up the snow fields through the high country. Best to stay below the snow line and day trip into the snow if camping. If you are going solo make sure you have 4 days of extra food and water just in case you get caught out by the weather.

denk

You need a jacket every month of the year in Melbourne. Mid June to August is coldest time of year down here.

You could follow the coast down to Sydney then pick up the snow fields through the high country. Best to stay below the snow line and day trip into the snow if camping. If you are going solo make sure you have 4 days of extra food and water just in case you get caught out by the weather.
That is a tempting route and what im looking for... the wife for that matter lol ill put the map on the dining table later in the week and have a good detailed look. :cool:

Lost1?

16 years ago i did the same thing. Coin is good but I still think about the weather and lifestyle up north. Good luck.

2luxes

ill put the map on the dining table later in the week and have a good detailed look. :cool:
While you are going through the map, look at the website for as many towns as possible. These sites usually list all the local attractions.

You will need a jacket or two or three. I live in NSW on the edge of the Snowy Mts. not far from Victoria. Most mornings for the last month have been just above or below zero. We are below the permanent snow line but we occasionally see snow all over the district.

Seeing you are from the defence forces, if you like aircraft and are anywhere near Temora in NSW, it has an excellent historic aircraft museum that conducts flying displays that include two Spitfires and a Sabre.

If you intend going through Katoomba to see the spactular scenery from lookouts like Echo Point, then don't go unless the weather is clear. You wont see a thing if fog is present.