Mounting a ARB air compressor for diff lockers.

Mud_x

Has any one mounted a ARB air compressor for air lockers and if so were? I know ARB fit them under the front pax seat when they do the fittment wondering if any one has come up with an alternate location? If any one could provide a picture of one mounted under the front pax seat or alternate position it would be appreciated.

Swaggie

What's wrong with under the bonnet, mines been under there for over 10 years..

You don't want diff oil pissing out all over the under side of your front passenger seat... :p;)

mac_man_luke

You don't want diff oil pissing out all over the under side of your front passenger seat... :p;)
No doubt the MU is like most other modern 4wds with zero space left under the bonnet

Mud_x

I may be missing something but I can't see how diff oil can make its way back through the compressor?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mine is under bonnet at front passenger side as far front as possible, left of radiator . Fitted upright , makes it easy-to-use for airing up also. Maybe takes up height of 12 inches , width 6 inches .

80lover96gxl

20170514_145547.jpg

Mines mounted up behind the bullbar wing on the drivers side. Mounted there by ARB. I had doubts to it being a suitable location thinking it would get covered in whatever crap you maybe driving thru on the day but to my suprise it says rather clean and is well away from heat generated in the engine day.
When the seal fails that prevents diff oil entering the airlines the oil makes it way back up the lines to the compressor causing issues, to the point where the difflock wont disengage due to the pressure not being able to release. This has happened to me twice now.
To release to pressure you need to remove the two airlines from the compressor and let some of the diff oil drain out the lines. While the lines are out give the compressor a run and hit the switches to engage the locker, this will help blow out and remove any oil that has made its way into the compressor.

If you can, save more coin and buy E lockers .

Swaggie

I may be missing something but I can't see how diff oil can make its way back through the compressor?
Sorry mate was being a little bit silly, hence the poking out of the tongue but it can certainly make it back to the compressor...

Albynsw

Are you fitting the little air locker only compressor or upsizing to the single that you can air up your tyres as well?

Mud_x

Are you fitting the little air locker only compressor or upsizing to the single that you can air up your tyres as well?
I've got the up sized unit to enable tyre inflation and second locker if I decid to go that way (fitting rear locker first to see how it goes.)

Mud_x

Sorry mate was being a little bit silly, hence the poking out of the tongue but it can certainly make it back to the compressor...
No offence taken, I've heard of this issue with diff oil making its way through the compressor but always thought it to be urban mith as haven't spoken directly to anyone who has had an issue and looking at the locker design thought it very unlikely to occur. What occurrence have you experienced?

bugsy

No offence taken, I've heard of this issue with diff oil making its way through the compressor but always thought it to be urban mith as haven't spoken directly to anyone who has had an issue and looking at the locker design thought it very unlikely to occur. What occurrence have you experienced?
Had one under the seat in my hilux regularly had diff oil coming up the line out of the compressor. Have one in my engine bay of my pootrol now same problem however with both cars have run some fuel hose from the compressor into my chassis rails rails to get rid of the oil no dramas had arb air lockers for 10 yrs or so in both cars never had an issue except for this issue would happily install in my future 4wds

Swaggie

None to be honest, I wouldn't fit one, seen and read enough, although you do get some that have no issues, it appears it's the installation process, until ARB bother to fix the issues and make it dickhead proof at installation I won't fit one, would go TJM before ARB anyway.. Elocker would be my first choice but cost a few extra bucks..