Mount Sugarloaf Awaba SF (Newcaslte) Saturday 21July reccy run.

denmonkey

Hi guys,
I've been heading up mount sugar loaf solo lately and have found a few tracks I'd like to explore a little more but would require another vehicle or 2 just in case.
The part I've done thus far are fine for anything with a 2 inch lift and possibly stock but since I don't know what lies beyond, you will have to make this call yourself.
I'll be heading in from Wakefield road and turning in on Archery road (meeting point) to head under the freewway along wakefield forrest road.
Turn left on sugarloaf range road.
(turning right takes you towards sugar loaf and mount vincent- FYI route is great for stock and those new to 4wd. Happy to do this run with anyone on weekends. )
Here there is a junction where I will be continuing straight down brunkerville rd where I have encountered a drop off a fair way in. There appears to be a chicken track but I cant confirm.
I haven't gone through as I don't know if the track comes out anywhere and if you can get back up without some effort - assuming the chicken track is not workable but I believe it is safe enough if care is taken.
I want to continue past this point to see where/if it exits. Map says yes but who knows.

Then assuming ok track conditions, I will return along the same route to the junction and head down sugarloaf range again onto blowfly trail.
This has been suggested by the tracks section on here as a one way (blowfly trail) but it has been reasonably dry so might be ok it a turn around is required. This is a clay type track so may be slippery and could be challenging to get back up if required (maybe a winch job)
If all goes well and we come out near freemans water hole with time to spare. A quick run to the playground might be in order and maybe pick up a snack at the Oak just down the road.

Here's what the tracks will look like . right to left straight across the top then back to the midway point and down.

sugarloaf street.JPG
sugarloaf sat.JPG

Some pics of the track

a few climbs

shg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

a couple of rock steps but nothing the right line wont get you up easy but this is where the lift helps
sg4.jpg

and the left at the junction heading down to blowfly which disappear down the hill
sg3.jpg

I did all these sections wet so they will be even easier now but pics never seem to do tracks justice.

Disclaimer - I can't promise how easy or how hard these tracks will be nor that the plan will be stuck to or exactly how long it will take.

Since we're not far from the freeway, its easy to get out back along fire trail type roads.

I figure around a 9am start at the starting point of the map on archery road.

UHF and recovery gear just in case.

heres a video on the playground to give you an idea of whats there . skip to 6mins to see the start of the quary . could be a few hours on another day on its own

thats it.

let me know.

Last edited:

denmonkey

a ball ? instead of taking the truck out for a run?
I'll leave that one alone :)

I'm expecting to be heading away camping the following weekend but if that falls through I'd be happy to go for a run with ya.
I'd like to check out some of those powerline tracks that run up the side there as well.
Other than the main trails up there, I don't much else but want to get stuck in and check a few of them out.
Since it's pretty much on my backdoor I figure I should get up there more often.

Ultimately, I'd like to record(gps) a heap of the tracks and get some footage of them to do a series of videos of whats available in the area for others who want to check it out.
I don't know if its a realistic goal or not but if it works out the next target would be the watagans. Soooooooo much up there to check out.
So I figure this can be my test case and see if I'm being realistic about what I can come up with.

With that said, I'll be trying to get together a small group of guys or gals that I can trust to come with and help me explore what's available.
It will be focused on lesser modified rigs, so I don't expect to be tackling some of the stuff I see aussie4wheelers doing.

I see heaps of threads asking where can I go etc, so I think this could be useful if it works.

You helped inspire me on the weekend run to get my finger out and just go and suss it .

I'm hoping to get another 1 or 2 but probably no more for the weekend but if that doesn't happen and I can keep Hendo out of the water I reckon we'll be ok.

Mitchmate

9am at Archery road? I’m in for a few hours Saturday morn! I know the quarry inside out back to front the track in is the most fun. Be good to have a poke around up there as long as it’s not too muddy or overgrown. Only one way to find out

denmonkey

9am at Archery road? I’m in for a few hours Saturday morn! I know the quarry inside out back to front the track in is the most fun. Be good to have a poke around up there as long as it’s not too muddy or overgrown. Only one way to find out
sounds good mate. No snorkel here so will be actively avoiding anything with too much water in it.
I also realised I have an open bung hole in my rear seat well that i need to sort. so that;s a good enough excuse.
I've been a fair way up the first track and its pretty open.
The second trail off to the left, I've only been down a few hundred meters before I turned back.
Footage Ive seen on youtube seems to be wide open but lots of ruts. I can't guarantee it though.

Mitchmate

sounds good mate. No snorkel here so will be actively avoiding anything with too much water in it.
I also realised I have an open bung hole in my rear seat well that i need to sort. so that;s a good enough excuse.
I've been a fair way up the first track and its pretty open.
The second trail off to the left, I've only been down a few hundred meters before I turned back.
Footage Ive seen on youtube seems to be wide open but lots of ruts. I can't guarantee it though.
Haha all good im just soft since i sprayed the hilux :rolleyes: sigh! Sounds like a good exploration run looking forward to it

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
You can lock us in now.:)

We’ll be leaving home at 06:00, which might have us there a little early, but I’d rather that than be late.
See you there.

denmonkey

So we have
Hendo, Mitch, the Rum man with the boss riding shot gun and Luthy maybe :)

Just confirming, I'll turn onto Archery road and just pull up somewhere there. I'll stick the uhf on 27 and keep an ear out.
If anything changes on the day, shoot me a message on 0413 605685.
Unless everyone is there and ready before hand, we'll look to move at 930.

The first track wont pose much of a challenge at least up until the drop off where it becomes unknown.
Blowfly trail(road) is a complete unknown but I found a video on it from 2015 which might give you some insight what to expect.

Mitch it looks like the paintwork should be safe. appears pretty open based on the vid but 2 years can change a bit.
I'm hoping this one might challenge us a little :D

Mitchmate

So we have
Hendo, Mitch, the Rum man with the boss riding shot gun and Luthy maybe :)

Just confirming, I'll turn onto Archery road and just pull up somewhere there. I'll stick the uhf on 27 and keep an ear out.
If anything changes on the day, shoot me a message on 0413 605685.
Unless everyone is there and ready before hand, we'll look to move at 930.

The first track wont pose much of a challenge at least up until the drop off where it becomes unknown.
Blowfly trail(road) is a complete unknown but I found a video on it from 2015 which might give you some insight what to expect.

Mitch it looks like the paintwork should be safe. appears pretty open based on the vid but 2 years can change a bit.
I'm hoping this one might challenge us a little :D
Awesome ill roll up about 8:30 have a chat beforehand.
And @Luthy hope you do put in an appearance havent seen you since May.

Last edited: