Mount Pinibar Track

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm heading down to the gathering in November and it's our intention to cross the Murray at Tom Groggin and climb up Mount Pinibar. What is the current track condition? I will be travelling in a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Kimberly Kamper in tow.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
A couple of months ago it was fine.
Nothing you wouldn’t tow a camper trailer up if it’s dry anyway.
I say when dry, because a quick storm came over while we were at the top, and it was quite slippery going back down (we were camped at Tom Groggin [Edit: Dogmans] and I led a couple of vehicle’s up just for a look).

Last edited:

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I managed to find some you tube videos of when it's wet. Too true, I'm not keen to do that in west conditions. I last travelled it in 2004 and it was pretty chopped out and dry but I had a rig with plenty of lift so it was reasonable going. On that note tho, a 4x4 Toyota bus followed me up

mikehzz

I pulled a Disco 3 back onto the track about 3 years ago. He slid off and almost went over due to a storm and was stuck all night until we came along. He couldn't get back onto the track, too slippery and unstable. It's a different track when wet.

mikehzz

It was a summer thunderstorm in January. We were camped at Tom Groggin, there had been no rain, then it came bucketing down and was gone in a few hours. The guy was going up to see the sunset from the top and got stuck in the middle of it all. Pure bad luck.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well so lo g as I can get up as I wont be coming back. I'll be erring on the side of safety tho. If weather is sketchy I won't be risking both car, camper and family. I'll just go around.

Bomber2012

A couple of months ago it was fine.
Nothing you wouldn’t tow a camper trailer up if it’s dry anyway.
I say when dry, because a quick storm came over while we were at the top, and it was quite slippery going back down (we were camped at Tom Groggin and I led a couple of vehicle’s up just for a look).
I remember that Rummy , a few of us stayed back at Dogmans that arvo , freak storm went through .