Mount Buller High Country trip forum input please!!

Frug

Hi there everyone.

I'm planning a Victorian High Country trip in late Feb and I was wondering if I could get your input.

Attached are 3 files with the trip route.

It's just going to be a day trip, we'll prob stay in a caravan park in Mansfield.

The cars going (so far) are a 2006 Forester (with AT tyres and lifted sus), a Toyota FJ, Mits Triton and Holden Colorado.

Just wondering if anyone has driven these tracks and could give me some info/tips on the tracks. We'll be driving anti-clockwise, Craig's Hut- Mt. Stirling, Howqua Gap and so on.

I'd mainly like to know info in the lower trails. Corn Hill Logging Trk, Upper Howqua Rd and Bindaree rd.

Cheers
Doug

Attachments

• Buller Trip Overview Edit.jpg
    Buller Trip Overview Edit.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Buller Trip Map Insert.jpg
    Buller Trip Map Insert.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
  • OziExplorerMabOverview.jpg
    OziExplorerMabOverview.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 329

Swaggie

Hiya Doug

Everything will be fine but cannot comment on 16 mile jeep rd in the last picture..

Theres a small river crossing at the Bindaree Hut,the video below the water is running high and so are the falls...Being Summer it should be about ankle deep...

DSC00785.JPG

DSC00788.JPG

[YOUTUBE]wgx9WjAMQE4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VOAzg-cjc5w[/YOUTUBE]

DSC00761.JPG

48452483.jpg

Goodluck

The crossing near bindaree is almost dry at the moment don't worry too much about that.
Tracks are in good condition very dry at the moment.
Saw a newish forester on some tracks around there, it was alone and she Was still smiling so apparently no probs.
There has been sme bulldozing so its all pretty good.
Enjoy!

terralockers

Last time I did Clear Hills track from Howqua Gap Hut to Craigs Hut was in April '12. Bear in mind that this track is classified as a Black Diamond track and quite rocky. Not too sure that a Subaru Forrester would have enoug clearance for this track.

Swaggie

Bear in mind that this track is classified as a Black Diamond track and quite rocky. Not too sure that a Subaru Forrester would have enoug clearance for this track.

They have other vehicles capable of just dragging it over...:eek::eek: .lmao

Anyone comment on 16 mile jeep rd,cannot recall if Ive ever done it...

dno67

16Mile jeep is hard red clay for the most of it and it has a bit of crown to the centre of it , you guys going anticlockwise will be going up it and should be right as long as it's dry.

Brighty

Any of you lads been on red hill tk off Three chains rd near sheapyard flat.I can't find anybody who has been on it.Rooftops maps say its very steep any help appreciated cheers Brighty

Ashbine

I did Howqua Gap Track on December 28th. Had just been bulldozed and was a doddle from top to bottom. Monument Track was the same. Just got back from the High Country today and the Howqua River is the lowest I've seen it. Bindaree crossing is merely a trickle as a result. It is as dry as a chip up there at the moment so take care and check websites etc for fire warnings.

But saying all that, one good downpour and all the above info becomes redundant.

Forget Corn Hill Logging Track though. Corn Hill Road, on the other hand to Mt Buller is fine no real gradient to speak of just loose rocks.

Last edited:

Frug

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Ashbine: did you drive Corn Hill Logging Track? Is it super rocky or washed out or just impossible to pass?

Cheers

Swaggie

Ashbine: did you drive Corn Hill Logging Track? Is it super rocky or washed out or just impossible to pass?

Cheers

Corn Hill Track is fine apart from the rocky base..Theres no 4wdriving needed,well you can drive in low if you want too...Just let tyres down to about 26 psi for better handling etc etc..

Last edited:

Ashbine

Cheers
Between Xmas and New Year track was closed by falling trees which is pretty common. I was talking to Parks about it and was told that this track is not a priority for clearing.

When I was on it it was very rocky with a couple of steps. In the wet it is very slippery. IMHO I'd stick to Corn Hill Road to get to Buller. Whichever way you go you will have a blast. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Mattzz

Any of you lads been on red hill tk off Three chains rd near sheapyard flat.I can't find anybody who has been on it.Rooftops maps say its very steep any help appreciated cheers Brighty

If its the one I'm thinking of......the warning is well deserved.
It's very steep and rocky.
I haven't had a look at the map to confirm but it's towards Jamieson and near a camping area by a river?
When I get a chance I'll have a look at a map to confirm we are talking about the same track.

Brighty

Much appreciated Mattzz.It sounds like you know it as you end up at the Howqa river at Tobacco flat.We want to do a day trip from Merrigig up Three chains tk onto red hill but I'm told it's not sign posted & into tobacco flat then into stony creek tk then Mitchell's tk into the Jameson pub .Look forward to hearing from you Mattzz cheers Brighty

Swaggie

Much appreciated Mattzz.It sounds like you know it as you end up at the Howqa river at Tobacco flat.We want to do a day trip from Merrigig up Three chains tk onto red hill but I'm told it's not sign posted & into tobacco flat then into stony creek tk then Mitchell's tk into the Jameson pub .Look forward to hearing from you Mattzz cheers Brighty

Yes this is correct...The Red Hill Track when you hit the river go right along Howqua Hills Track which goes into The Mitchell track near the old slate mine which is an old open cut slate mine and worth a look (India undercut us in price so it shut)....You can keep going down the Mitchell track into Wren flat and then out too the Heyfield Jamieson Rd..If you come out this way turn right (dirt Rd).

You can turn back around and turn left into Stoney Creek track or a bit further on Steiners Track Which takes you to the Howqua River Rd..Then turn left (Bituman) and head for Jamieson..Now you'll see a concrete bridge..If you turn right there will be the Jamieson Brewery on the right just after it.There is a pub in Jamieson too..

Now if you want to take the Stoney Creek track you can either pop down into Granny's Flat..You go over river into a nice camp area..Years ago Granny lived there,you can also come out there on the Heyfield Jamieson Rd and turn right...lol

If you dont want to go down that way you can go further and go down Lyrebird Track..(word of warning its very steep and better going down than up)....

The same street the Jamieson caravan Park is a dead end..On the right you can park the vehicle and theres shade and the kids and yourself can swim in a nice swim hole..

Goodluck

Brighty

Thanks swaggie that's brillant ,can you tell me is red hill tk now sign posted on Three chains tk. I'll let you know how the trip goes a couple a weeks off yet cheers Brighty.

Mattzz

That's it......I couldn't remember the names.
I did it about 12 months ago and it wasn't sign posted then.
Are you looking for it or wanting to avoid it?
It's very steep and rocky......you have to think about your line on the move. It would be difficult to stop on it.
If your trying to avoid it......you'll see it coming up and be able to detour around it.
As swaggie suggested.....the slate mine is a nice trip with some great views too.

Brighty

Thanks Mattzz & swaggie
Great information for our trip were looking forward to seeing the slate mine.Were really looking forward to Redhill tk .I suppose the the turn off to Redhill tk is just a few ks in cheers Brighty

rangey308

Corn Hill is not open. parks Victoria have stated not a priority fix....when did you drive it SWAGGIE?has chain fence across the top of Circuit road. bindaree road to the crossing is suitable for your vehicles. 16 mile jeep you can do if you have dual range in subaru..not up with the model range anymore......the 16 mile is steep,has rutted sections and clay base....in the wet forget it, narrow track once you hit the climb....
terra lockers comment is spot on.....has a couple of rocky and steep rutted sections...and is black diamond...
just came back from Tolmie and my brothers property on top of BUNSTON HILL dry as chips..no decent rain since oct 2012....

Davidpaul112

Everything will be excellent but can't give any opinion on 16 distance vehicle rd in the last image.. Theres a small stream traversing at the Bindaree Hut,the movie below the water is operating high and so are the drops...Being Summer time it should be about rearfoot strong . . . . . . .

"Surfers Rent A Car
Cheap Car Hire & Car Rentals in Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast | Surfers Rent A Car
2/11 Northview Street Mermaid Waters Gold Coast QLD 4218
Phone: (07) 5572 0600"

Last edited: