Motoring.com.au review of 2015 MU-X

Ziggy

Last year's big vehicle comparo published by the RACV put the MUX at position 18 out of 20 4WD drives.

But that kind of effort is pretty meaningless in my book because folk value vehicle characteristics differently. Eg. I don't give a tinker's cuss about all the hard plastics but place a lot of emphasis on 'strong and (relatively) simple', cam chain rather than belt, and the pedigree of the motor.

Mud_x

Just remember these reviews are written by people who for obvious reasons have some what biased opinions. It's up to the individual to by the product best suited to there requirements. If I was single/retired and didn't have young children I would be driving a Jeep JK unlimited Rubicon or the Land Rover as it is I've brought a MU-X. One thing is for sure I wouldn't be driving the over priced Toyota.

hiluxdriver

Just remember these reviews are written by people who for obvious reasons have some what biased opinions. It's up to the individual to by the product best suited to there requirements. If I was single/retired and didn't have young children I would be driving a Jeep JK unlimited Rubicon or the Land Rover as it is I've brought a MU-X. One thing is for sure I wouldn't be driving the over priced Toyota.

So you're saying all 4wd/SUV/moped reviews are written by journos that have a favorable interest in a particular model? That's a hell of a comment. Have you got an example as I don't read many reviews and would like to see one?

Ziggy

They may not be paid directly but most mags depend on advertising revenue and they can't bite the hand that feeds them. I can quote instances of major accounts being cancelled with a leading UK bike mag when it was blunt about the failings of models from Ducati and a Jap brand.

Swaggie

They may not be paid directly but most mags depend on advertising revenue and they can't bite the hand that feeds them. I can quote instances of major accounts being cancelled with a leading UK bike mag when it was blunt about the failings of models from Ducati and a Jap brand.

That's it ziggy. A few 4x4 mags and shows are the same..

hiluxdriver

I can quote instances of major accounts being cancelled with a leading UK bike mag when it was blunt about the failings of models from Ducati and a Jap brand.

It wouldn't have been a Kwaka, I had one and it was the ducks nuts!

Swaggie

Then why does anyone even give 2 sh!ts about reviews? Why is this thread here if it is meaningless?

I cannot comment for others but I don't when it comes to certain 4drive magazines..
As a quick guess it's because the member posted it here. Who said it was meaningless...???

Last edited:
Then why does anyone even give 2 sh!ts about reviews? Why is this thread here if it is meaningless?

Some people might find it reviews useful when doing research on the vehicle, that might help them form their own opinion on the vehicle. They might go for a test drive and think oh yeah, the reviews mentioned this particular point about the vehicle, that's great.

With the Internet and so many websites, blogs, and even forums, you are much better informed about a particular product than you were 30 years ago. Considering there is much more choice now than 30 years ago, surely the information is power?

So whether it is important or not, well that's for the potential buyer to decide, but it certainly doesn't hurt having more information available, especially when people are interested in different features or aspects of the vehicle. You might care about off road ability, someone else may not.

To give you an example of the above, in my opinion, I thought the information in the review was of interest. I posted here for people to either gather information on it, or to express their opinions on it, which you certainly have. So the process is working, no? ;)

Last edited:

lurkr

YEp - as mantis said. For my case, I read a load of reviews of different makes before purchase, and took them all with a grain of salt.

Their value, was in highlighting points of interest that then allowed me to assess during a test drive, to figure out if that particular point was of any importance to me. eg: the 'tupperware' materials, and 'soft' ride, and 'high' drivers position - each highlighted as negatives, but when I drove the car, I liked the ride and seating position, and didn't really have any concerns about the tupperware.
Because I'd read up on all this before the test drive, I didn't have to try and discover everything about the car in the 20 minutes or so of test driving - I could focus on stuff that I though might be a concern.

Just another tool in the information arsenal ... as forums are :)

What is kinda funny (to me) is that none of the tests have pointed out the slightly left-of-center seating position, with respect to the steering wheel. maybe I'm just maladjusted and imagining things. :-/

What is kinda funny (to me) is that none of the tests have pointed out the slightly left-of-center seating position, with respect to the steering wheel. maybe I'm just maladjusted and imagining things. :-/

Hmmmm ... not sure if I noticed that, I'll have a look when I'm back in the truck. Maybe you just need to see the chiropractor :D

03hilux

You are not imagining or maladjusted. All cars have either the seat or the steering colum off centre. This is so in the event of a heavy frontal impact the injuries to the driver are reduced.

If suffer a good dose of OCD, you will also notice that the pedals are also offset.

hiluxdriver

You are not imagining or maladjusted. All cars have either the seat or the steering colum off centre. This is so in the event of a heavy frontal impact the injuries to the driver are reduced.

If suffer a good dose of OCD, you will also notice that the pedals are also offset.

I have noticed the pedals, so much that the side cushion in my seat flattens because I keep trying to square up to everything. Very flipping annoying

Noticed it today now that you pointed it out, thanks for that (not!). :p

Was in my colleague's CX-5 during lunch time today, not sure if it was just me but the left of centre in that vehicle seems to be much more pronounced when compared to my MU-X.

JC807

I can't seem to sit in the seat right, if i place my hands on my head and the headrest, its no where near in the centre of it.

03hilux

Cars are designed with the drivers seating position off centre so that in a heavy frontal impact the driver controls are generally pushed away from the driver. The drivers seat is also designed and engineered to adsorb an impact and collapse a certain way too. Typically, the inboard side of the seat will collapse first allowing the driver ( same with the front passengers seat) to "fall" away from the frontal impact.
Its safer for the driver to come into contact with the rim of the steering wheel and possibly break a few ribs than what it is for the driver to impact the centre of the steering wheel and possibly impale themselves on the column.

taken from wiki

" The steering wheels were rigid and mounted on non-collapsible steering columns. This arrangement increased the risk of impaling the driver in case of a severe crash. The first collapsible steering column was invented in 1934 but was never successfully marketed.[11] By 1956, Ford came out with a safety steering wheel that was set high above the post with spokes that would flex,[12] but the column was still rigid. In 1968, United States regulations (FMVSS Standard No. 204) were implemented concerning the acceptable rearward movement of the steering wheel in case of crash.[13] Collapsible steering columns were required to meet that standard."

muc the truck

A friend was telling me about a review he read about the mux compared to the jackaroo and apparently those that drove the old jackaroo on the same course as the mux were amazed at how it compared to the mux off road . Does anyone have a link to the article?

lurkr

Thanks hilux ... and apologies to all those that now feel awkward driving their MUX's because you now notice the offset :p

lol

lurkr

Hey muc. I own a Jack ... 2000 model, lifted with heavy duty springs and shocks, snorkel, bar, racks, etc. the 3.5L petrol V6 is real thirsty on sand - lucky to get 350k from the 80l tank. But it's a beast offroad, with good clearance - just needs lockers. MANY years ago the 4wd ACTION mag ran an article on good value 4WD's that could become offroad weapons with very little work, and the Jack got a good write-up (would have been around 2005/6 ??
The MUX is a LOT more comfortable and quiet (especially as I haven't modded anything yet), but oddly enough, i still love the driving position in the Jack... a little more than the MUX :-/ . . . . perhaps because I've got 10 years of familiarity with the jack.

But stuffs starting to break on the Jack (heater most recently), and parts are getting tougher to get (usually get em from overseas), AND the auto transmission sux.

muc the truck

Hey muc. I own a Jack ... 2000 model, lifted with heavy duty springs and shocks, snorkel, bar, racks, etc. the 3.5L petrol V6 is real thirsty on sand - lucky to get 350k from the 80l tank. But it's a beast offroad, with good clearance - just needs lockers. MANY years ago the 4wd ACTION mag ran an article on good value 4WD's that could become offroad weapons with very little work, and the Jack got a good write-up (would have been around 2005/6 ??
The MUX is a LOT more comfortable and quiet (especially as I haven't modded anything yet), but oddly enough, i still love the driving position in the Jack... a little more than the MUX :-/ . . . . perhaps because I've got 10 years of familiarity with the jack.

But stuffs starting to break on the Jack (heater most recently), and parts are getting tougher to get (usually get em from overseas), AND the auto transmission sux.
yes they are under rated off road the jackaroo. my mate has one with a locker in the front . The article I speak of is recent but comparing Isuzu last 7 seater to there mux of today . I cant find it . He read it in a magazine and cant remember which one and all of his old mags have gone to the tip shop .

What auto problems are you having ? There is a shift correction kit for them now . there is no end of jackaroo spares here in Townsville wreckers , then theres rock auto and ebay usa .

Last edited: