Most practical and space efficient cooking setup?

cam04

If that's a Gasmate one I have the same,also runs off a cheap propane Canisters with another screw on connection.Been testing it for about a year to write a review on it.It's been great to be honest and cheap to run.I like the option to use the canister that's in your picture as the others don't work at certain altitudes and weather conditions.

Also use the Iprimus 24000btu,it's a wicked unit,use high if needed and down to a simmer when required....I'll write a review on it also..

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/primus-stove-2-burner-25000-btu

Cheers
https://www.snowys.com.au/furno-stove-and-pot-set?gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWNa6ELrONe3mBX4vMqSZnJMydFJd8MQ_FNpElYZD4mGmjlQMwGxspMaAusHEALw_wcB&AcceptsCookies=yes

The one in the link is similar to my hiking/kayak setup. One of the beauties of the little isobutane cannisters is that they fit perfectly inside the pot set so less room is needed. The other is the amount of heat it puts out. Yes in cold/altitude the iso mix is much better than the cheap butane - apparently haha - not a theory that gets tried out in qld too often. There is a hose setup you can get for mountaineering to make it work more efficiently again but I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that sort of thing.

Paddler Ed

I'm a shellite stove convert - I got a Coleman double burner (red can) stove for a good price, and it's been great. 1 litre of shellite does a weekend easily (brews, cooked breakfast and cooked dinner). Takes up a space of 55.5L x 34.5W x 16H cm, and it travels in a bag with an extra pot of fuel in it.
https://www.snowys.com.au/2-burner-dual-fuel-powerhouse-stove

OK, they take a bit of getting used to, but they are great once they get going. When you know how to get them going, they're 30 seconds and ready to go.

cam04

I'm a shellite stove convert - I got a Coleman double burner (red can) stove for a good price, and it's been great. 1 litre of shellite does a weekend easily (brews, cooked breakfast and cooked dinner). Takes up a space of 55.5L x 34.5W x 16H cm, and it travels in a bag with an extra pot of fuel in it.
https://www.snowys.com.au/2-burner-dual-fuel-powerhouse-stove

OK, they take a bit of getting used to, but they are great once they get going. When you know how to get them going, they're 30 seconds and ready to go.
I had one for maybe 18 years? One night out of the blue the seal on the pump let go while I was cooking and the whole thing started burning quite violently. It is hard to turn off when the plastic control knob is also burning. I had an extinguisher handy and got away with it luckily. Coleman Australia were of course zero help with spare parts so I binned the whole lot a year or two later. I was also a fan up until that occasion.

Attachments

muffin man

https://www.snowys.com.au/furno-stove-and-pot-set?gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWNa6ELrONe3mBX4vMqSZnJMydFJd8MQ_FNpElYZD4mGmjlQMwGxspMaAusHEALw_wcB&AcceptsCookies=yes

The one in the link is similar to my hiking/kayak setup. One of the beauties of the little isobutane cannisters is that they fit perfectly inside the pot set so less room is needed. The other is the amount of heat it puts out. Yes in cold/altitude the iso mix is much better than the cheap butane - apparently haha - not a theory that gets tried out in qld too often. There is a hose setup you can get for mountaineering to make it work more efficiently again but I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that sort of thing.
These are very good to the point of almost being too hot. I have the ebay equivalent for motorcycle trips.

Triton14

Stumbled across this regards the little butane cylinder stoves. I reckon I have on of the older Gasmate ones :oops:
I have several & I don't care if they are banned(which means banned for sale to me?).

If I recall correctly I think problem with this kind of burner was that someone decided they were going to use it in a manner that it was not designed for & the thing blew up & injured them.

NO SH*T SHERLOCK, of course if you try to join 2 singles together & then stick a big pot on them both that the base of the pot extends over the whole 2 units including the cylinder area then wtf do you think is going to happen :rolleyes:

So they then try to redesign the suitcase burner to be more safe, well there is no such thing when dumb & dumber are still going to try doing the same thing with it!

D&D.jpg

peterfermtech

Gave up on the butane ages ago because a lot of my camping is in the cold. Have an iso in the boat and carry a coleman 533 for making a cuppa when in the car and another as a backup to my propane cooker in my camp setup. And also a whisper lite for hiking.

regards

Petunia

a box of matches and a shovel

even though the box of matches has now been superceeded by a ferrocerium rod.:cool:

Gidgee

I have several & I don't care if they are banned(which means banned for sale to me?).
If I recall correctly I think problem with this kind of burner was that someone decided they were going to use it in a manner that it was not designed for & the thing blew up & injured them.
Might be a non-issue with the new cylinders in that if you use CRV ones then they vent if overheated - not that it would be fun when that happened.

Triton14

Might be a non-issue with the new cylinders in that if you use CRV ones then they vent if overheated - not that it would be fun when that happened.
Actually to be honest I'd never heard of these CRV cylinder but now that I know about them I will get some.
Doesn't mean I wont use my old stock thought.

LiamBlack

Firewood is really not convenient. For example, my friends use coal, it is faster and does not take up much space.

As an alternative, I use gas and love burgers! I’m cooking on
Pit Boss Grills, here you can see additional reviews on similar devices. Of course, there are cons consuming more space than the barbecue, but I like the result much more!

Swaggie

Gave up on the butane ages ago because a lot of my camping is in the cold. Have an iso in the boat and carry a coleman 533 for making a cuppa when in the car and another as a backup to my propane cooker in my camp setup. And also a whisper lite for hiking.

regards
Make sure you replace those rubber seals in the unit.... Google it...

Mines about 14 years old and went to test it not long ago and the bloody thing nearly weren't up, burnt my door matt and if I didn't extinguish most likely would have started on my front door....As this unit has been great over the years I would never have thought this was possible.... If I was in the bush over summer it could have been a different story although I do carry an extinguisher.....

I'm going to try and get some video footage of what happened again, just waiting for someone to volunteer to hold the camera....;)
Oh I only ever use Shellite in the unit....

cam04

Make sure you replace those rubber seals in the unit.... Google it...

Mines about 14 years old and went to test it not long ago and the bloody thing nearly weren't up, burnt my door matt and if I didn't extinguish most likely would have started on my front door....As this unit has been great over the years I would never have thought this was possible.... If I was in the bush over summer it could have been a different story although I do carry an extinguisher.....

I'm going to try and get some video footage of what happened again, just waiting for someone to volunteer to hold the camera....;)
Oh I only ever use Shellite in the unit....
Mine too. Tried to set fire to my Ute kitchen one night after 15 years of perfect service. Never again for me I’m afraid.

Swaggie

Mine too. Tried to set fire to my Ute kitchen one night after 15 years of perfect service. Never again for me I’m afraid.
Lol
Yeah it's a bad oversight by Coleman not to let you know it's a serviceable part and the consequences won't be good if you don't do it, they should give you a set when you buy the unit...
Replace them every 10 years and the unit will outlast us....

cam04

It was the ‘up to light’ lever stuffing box failing under pressure and it most certainly wasn’t a serviceable part - LOL.

cam04

If where talking about the lever it's replacable ....Maybe we should start a Coleman 533 thread. I was going to do a review until this happened, although I will fix it and use again...

Valve assembly

https://www.coleman.com/valve-assembly/400-5551.html?cgid=coleman-replacementparts-stoves#start=12
Mine was model 414

Coleman was less than useless in their support. Not worth getting bits from the states for it. It sat for a couple of years under the house until I gave up on it

darb

I mostly now for the boy and I just take Sandwiches, fruits, yoghurt, snacks ... and use a Jaffle Iron to make toasties.

Also someitmes take a 10inch spun steel camp oven to do things like a rack of lamb with veggies or other.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
1567418136559.png

I have a few of these, light and work well, the two I use in the camper I run a hose from the gas bottles on the drawbar
instead of using the little green jobbies