More wheel travel

PathfinderDriver

Hi all out there in 4x4 land, ive had my pathfinder for a while now and love it. i want more wheel travel in the back, i see all these trucks on youtube with twice the travel ive got, i was wondering will a 2" lift kit give me what im looking for or is there more i will have to do. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 165

newhue

I don't know about super modified suspension stuff like comp cars, but that may be what you need if you want twice as much.
But a good quality aftermarket suspension system will give you better flex (articulation) over standard. By lifting the vehicle 2inchs with suspension, then you have more travel to articulate, and with bigger/longer shocks to coupe with it.
If your front suspension is IFS, then you are somewhat limited to what you can do to improve height and articulation, but at least 30ml should be able to be gained.

Jaymz

I dont have any experience with the WD21 Pathfinders but I do have a friend that owns one. We have talked about the same issue with his and are toying with the idea of putting long travel shocks in the rear and disconnecting the rear sway bar to get more travel (he already has 2 inch lift springs in the rear) As for the front we have just wound his torsion bars up to give him approx 1.5 to 2 inch lift in the front... If he ever buys the new shocks for the rear I will try to remember and get before and after photos...

1 red gu

4x4 Earth Contributer
if you shop around you will come across flexy coils
if you get 2" flexy coils you can run 4" shocks to give you all the flex you need with out the coils droping out
as for the front you could get longer torsion bars but it will still be limited

ZORDO

if you shop around you will come across flexy coils
if you get 2" flexy coils you can run 4" shocks to give you all the flex you need with out the coils droping out
as for the front you could get longer torsion bars but it will still be limited

No such thing as longer torsion bars :rolleyes:
If you run 4" shocks in a 2" lift you will bottom out the shocks & stuff em.
If you extend the bumpstop to prevent the shocks from bottoming out yyou lose the up travel & end up with the same amount of wheel travel as a 2" lift. :rolleyes:

So for the answer on a pathfinder is go with 2" coils 2" shocks & lose the sway bar
You could use 3" shocks if you use H/D coils;)
Cheers

PathfinderDriver

I dont have any experience with the WD21 Pathfinders but I do have a friend that owns one. We have talked about the same issue with his and are toying with the idea of putting long travel shocks in the rear and disconnecting the rear sway bar to get more travel (he already has 2 inch lift springs in the rear) As for the front we have just wound his torsion bars up to give him approx 1.5 to 2 inch lift in the front... If he ever buys the new shocks for the rear I will try to remember and get before and after photos...

hi and thanks, ive bin toying with the idea of winding the torsion bars up, has you mate had any problems with doing that, i had read in 4wd action that it can put to much strain in them and they can brake. How does it handle off road?

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
If you wind the (stock) torsion bars up you will cause them to fail prematurely and hence the car will sag back down. Which is a good thing because it then gives you a good reason to buy HD aftermarket torsion bars that won't sag as easily in future:D

ZORDO

You can wind the std torsion bars up.
If they sag again they are stuffed & time to get new ones
Cheers

Jaymz

My mate hasn't noticed any problems as yet. As said they can wear out prematurely and the only other problems that we have heard about are camber/caster issues after adjusting, but normally they can be corrected with a wheel alignment (although he's never done one lol)

russell789

i removed my rear sway bar in my pajero and gained about 2inchs of flex in the rear, but in doing this i made it not handle as well through corners, but i can live with that