LD.02

Hi all,
Thanks to help from previous posts I've settled on the GJR120R (petrol 120 prado) with the 5sp auto, keen on (in the next few months) getting car hunting. Between now and then I'm keen on getting opinion on aftermarket kit that I'll be putting on, all listed below

Bullbar
Arb Deluxe - listed at around $2.4k on the september price list, including fitting. Love the look of it, hate the price. ARB tax is real, any alternatives that are a bit cheaper and just as good? I love the look of the TJM chaser bars but I don't think they make one for the 120.
Snorkel
Safari V spec - listed at $700 including fitting on ARB september price list. I know there are plenty of good options here. personal stories and thoughts would be appreciated! (ironman, tjm, etc)
Air compressor
really have no idea here, very happy to acknowledge the poor man pays twice and spend a bit more here for one that will last me, without breaking the bank
Fridge (40-50l) (on a titan slide from kings)
Again, no idea. Not wanting to spend more than $600 ish, there are a few dometics around at that price, kings as well but i've heard bad things, not sure what to listen to so thoughts appreciated
Awning
Kings rear, not fussed about quality here, happy to fix anything myself if it does get broken, not travelling to the extent that it requires I spend more than I need to here.
Lights
Are they even needed? I wouldn't be planning on doing too much at night for the time being, regardless have no idea where to look but have heard good things about kings spotties so let me know what ya think
Lift kit
Have heard good things about the formula 4x4 2inch kit, but happy to hear other thoughts.

Other stuff I'll put in with mates (diff breathers, dual battery setup, roof cages etc) at not much cost.

Let me know what you think earth, and hopefully us Victorians can get out soon

TYNO87

Good choice mate. They’re a good rig and you get a lot for your money. They do have some issues but they’re well documented and easy to see if you know what you’re looking for.

My opinion for what it’s worth;
Bullbar - You haven’t mentioned a winch which makes me think maybe you don’t need a bullbar/ steel winch bar? Factory alloy prado bullbars will do the job of getting you home and can be picked up cheap on Facebook/ gumtree. Alternately look on Facebook/ gumtree for second hand arb bars. You’d be surprised how well they scrub up with a sand and a rattle can or raptor coat.
Snorkel - Safari snorkels are the best, to save coin Id look at sourcing my own direct from safari and fitting it myself. Have to say though $700 inc fittings not terrible, not sure how safe I’d feel with them cutting into my car though. Have had some bad experiences in the past with part fitters.
Compressors - I’ve lost count of the compressors I’ve had, the current one however that’s nearly 5 years old, is a thumper form supercentre so you may get a decent one cheaper than you think.
Fridges - I’ve got and always had Engels. That being said if I had to buy another id look at jaycars. I’ve got a bit of their other gear and the quality is excellent especially considering how cheap it is.
Awning - my next one will be supapeg. Had a kings one, didn’t break but never had a lot of faith in it.
Lights - Stedi. The end, simply the best value lights on the market. Get one of the slimline lightbars to complement your high beams. Weigh bugger all, don’t block your radiator and throw a beautiful clear beam.
Lift kit - I’d wait and drive it a bit first and finish kitting it out. I’ve always had efs springs and koni shocks. Gone all efs this time round as the big konis weren’t going to fit my vehicle but I’m very happy with the efs shocks so far.

When it comes time for your dual battery set up have a look at Jaycar, maybe have a look at a fridge at the same time and try and save some cash. Glad you mentioned diff breathers, put them right up the priority list with a set of recovery points, a snatch strap and a thorough service.

LD.02

Good choice mate. They’re a good rig and you get a lot for your money. They do have some issues but they’re well documented and easy to see if you know what you’re looking for.

My opinion for what it’s worth;
Bullbar - You haven’t mentioned a winch which makes me think maybe you don’t need a bullbar/ steel winch bar? Factory alloy prado bullbars will do the job of getting you home and can be picked up cheap on Facebook/ gumtree. Alternately look on Facebook/ gumtree for second hand arb bars. You’d be surprised how well they scrub up with a sand and a rattle can or raptor coat.
Snorkel - Safari snorkels are the best, to save coin Id look at sourcing my own direct from safari and fitting it myself. Have to say though $700 inc fittings not terrible, not sure how safe I’d feel with them cutting into my car though. Have had some bad experiences in the past with part fitters.
Compressors - I’ve lost count of the compressors I’ve had, the current one however that’s nearly 5 years old, is a thumper form supercentre so you may get a decent one cheaper than you think.
Fridges - I’ve got and always had Engels. That being said if I had to buy another id look at jaycars. I’ve got a bit of their other gear and the quality is excellent especially considering how cheap it is.
Awning - my next one will be supapeg. Had a kings one, didn’t break but never had a lot of faith in it.
Lights - Stedi. The end, simply the best value lights on the market. Get one of the slimline lightbars to complement your high beams. Weigh bugger all, don’t block your radiator and throw a beautiful clear beam.
Lift kit - I’d wait and drive it a bit first and finish kitting it out. I’ve always had efs springs and koni shocks. Gone all efs this time round as the big konis weren’t going to fit my vehicle but I’m very happy with the efs shocks so far.

When it comes time for your dual battery set up have a look at Jaycar, maybe have a look at a fridge at the same time and try and save some cash. Glad you mentioned diff breathers, put them right up the priority list with a set of recovery points, a snatch strap and a thorough service.

Hadn't thought of the second hand bars, I'll have a look around. no plans to whack a winch in yet, but would rather spend the cash and have the option to down the line. I could do the snorkel install DIY, but don't have any real faith in myself, might throw a slab the way of my grease monkey mates and put it in together. the bar also covers off a front recovery point to my knowledge, so that was another reason I was thinking of heading that direction.

Will look at jaycar, thanks for that suggestion. Nice to know they could have a few bits and pieces bundled together.

I'm in no rush to tackle anything insanely difficult, lift kit is more a look at me thing (happy to admit that) and was going to be the last thing I do anyway, no point in putting in a kit rated to the wrong load, gearing up the rest of the car and losing any elevation gained in the first place. Would stock be good to go on fraser? that's first on the list as soon as I can find the time.

all in all, cheers! good to hear from blokes who know plenty more than I do

Hoyks

2nd hand bars can be a bit of a pain. There are usually a few extra mounting brackets and bits the old owner forgets to include and the bar manufactures won't sell individually, so you get stuck with a bar and not really able to fit it.
For old cars that were a unbolt the bumper, bolt on bull bar, you could generally get away without the instructions too. Modern curvy vehicles you also need the installation instruction book to tell you what bits to bin or trim to fit. Without that it can be a bit of trial and error.
I don't think ARB bars have integral recovery points, you probably have to go the TJM bar as I think they do (mine does anyway).

Do you really need one though? They do give you cred and somewhere convenient to mount lights and antenna, but really come into their own with a winch. With no winch, then its just 60kg and $2500 of excess weight on the front end. Crash testing by BHP with ex fleet Hilux's also showed that they didn't improve occupant safety, actually increasing the risk of lower leg injury.

Snorkels are easy enough to install, use the template and follow the instructions and you should be right. Safari for me, and for $700 fitted isn't too bad, I think mine was $450 for the box and a saturday to fit it, so whats a weekend worth to you?

Awning, meh. Hardly use mine, although it comes in handy in the rain. Keep an eye on Anaconda for their specials, I picked up one for $55, its still in the box in the shed.

Lights, I'd drive it first and see if they are any good for the night driving that you do. My BT50 headlights are a bit shit and have been since day 1. I upgraded the bulbs for a marginal improvement, fitted halogen driving lights and finally a light bar (it was free and collecting duct in the shed). I'm pretty happy with the lights now, but I was also driving Newcastle to Toowoomba every 2nd weekend at night for most of the past 3 years, so needed something better than the Mazda issue candles.

Lift Kits
You don't have to do it all at once if you're on a budget. New springs will get you a lift and you can change the shock adsorbers at a later date, like when they are worn or fail.

Since you're buying 2nd hand, you'll probably be find something that has had the parts catalogue thrown at it, then had a easy suburban life. There are more than a few previously cashed up grey nomads that got their vehicles set up for the round Aus trip and then their situation changed and they couldn't go. If you make an offer that is less insulting than what they would be offered as a dealer trade in, often you can get a tricked up, well maintained bargain.

LD.02

2nd hand bars can be a bit of a pain. There are usually a few extra mounting brackets and bits the old owner forgets to include and the bar manufactures won't sell individually, so you get stuck with a bar and not really able to fit it.
For old cars that were a unbolt the bumper, bolt on bull bar, you could generally get away without the instructions too. Modern curvy vehicles you also need the installation instruction book to tell you what bits to bin or trim to fit. Without that it can be a bit of trial and error.
I don't think ARB bars have integral recovery points, you probably have to go the TJM bar as I think they do (mine does anyway).

Do you really need one though? They do give you cred and somewhere convenient to mount lights and antenna, but really come into their own with a winch. With no winch, then its just 60kg and $2500 of excess weight on the front end. Crash testing by BHP with ex fleet Hilux's also showed that they didn't improve occupant safety, actually increasing the risk of lower leg injury.

Snorkels are easy enough to install, use the template and follow the instructions and you should be right. Safari for me, and for $700 fitted isn't too bad, I think mine was $450 for the box and a saturday to fit it, so whats a weekend worth to you?

Awning, meh. Hardly use mine, although it comes in handy in the rain. Keep an eye on Anaconda for their specials, I picked up one for $55, its still in the box in the shed.

Lights, I'd drive it first and see if they are any good for the night driving that you do. My BT50 headlights are a bit shit and have been since day 1. I upgraded the bulbs for a marginal improvement, fitted halogen driving lights and finally a light bar (it was free and collecting duct in the shed). I'm pretty happy with the lights now, but I was also driving Newcastle to Toowoomba every 2nd weekend at night for most of the past 3 years, so needed something better than the Mazda issue candles.

Lift Kits You don't have to do it all at once if you're on a budget. New springs will get you a lift and you can change the shock adsorbers at a later date, like when they are worn or fail.

Since you're buying 2nd hand, you'll probably be find something that has had the parts catalogue thrown at it, then had a easy suburban life. There are more than a few previously cashed up grey nomads that got their vehicles set up for the round Aus trip and then their situation changed and they couldn't go. If you make an offer that is less insulting than what they would be offered as a dealer trade in, often you can get a tricked up, well maintained bargain.

yeah have kept an eye out for ones with a bit of fruit on them for a bit of extra cash, seem to be a good option for me atm as you never get back what you put in with accessories unfortunately for them.

I've got all the spare time in the world at the moment, hopefully thats the same when I pick up the 120, so maybe saving a few hundred for the cost of a day + a slab for a mate to help isn't a bad idea. Pretty keen on the bullbar, don't rate the 120 front end without one on it. Whether I go second hand steel / second hand OEM toyota bar still up in the air. As for the lights, will probably hold off for a little bit, and try see whats what after I put a few night k's through the rig.

Cheers mate!

LD.02

Have you looked at Ironman bullbars I don't have one but they might be cheaper.
Have looked but I couldn't find a price list, currently waiting for a reply on a price enquiry. Don't mind the look of them either, particularly the commercial deluxe. We'll wait and see!

itlldoo

spend on your fridge mate ! it will go beyond one vehicle and needs to keep your food and beer good,
nothing worse than soggy snags and warm beer.

LD.02

spend on your fridge mate ! it will go beyond one vehicle and needs to keep your food and beer good,
nothing worse than soggy snags and warm beer.
That'll all come down to how much I can pick everything else out for, fingers crossed I can keep a bit of cash spare and go nicer!

Colly18

My thoughts on priorities from your list based on your first thread, "would be used for relatively shorter touring trips, no big plans to lap aus just yet, don't have the time! nothing really extreme, but basic 4wd trails. Wouldn't really be used for anything but that as I'm within riding distance of work, so daily k's not an issue. Nothing to tow, car wouldn't be doing more than 10,000km a year."

1) first :) Decent fridge (Engel or Waeco Dometic have good reputation) A Waeco CF50 works for me. You need at least one cold beer, (or a cup of tea?), to ingest in a sticky situation to provide 'relax' time when considering, "How do I get out of this mess?"
2) a half decent air compressor (and maybe a hand pump back-up if travelling solo?) I'm confused on these, as various branded ones all look the same and possibly came from the same Chinese factory (?) yet vary in price from $100- $250???
3) Do you really need a bullbar? Great if you think you will need a front mounted electric winch! Great if you travel in roo infested areas! Maybe not necessary if you are city based and have your comprehensive insurance paid up and you have a low excess? I had a bullbar on my old FJ60 and it saved me heaps of times travelling at dawn in roo infested areas. I've also had bullbars on work vehicles that saved me nothing as roos hit the sides of the vehicles (same with my sedans). What do you do? I've run with no bullbar on my past 2 4X4's and not hit a roo (yet! :))
4) Lights. If you don't plan on travelling much at night the factory lights should suffice i.m.o. Like previously suggested, try them first and see. I've fitted STEDI light bars for others and they are a good thing. Personally I run a couple 'old school' aircraft landing light sealed beams, but hardly ever need them.
5) Awning. A great thing if camping in wet conditions. We rarely use ours as I prefer trips away in dry conditions. Even though they are handy for shade, we find we rarely use ours for that purpose as we tend to use trees for shade or vehicle shade at the end of the day.
6) Lift Kit. A good thing for 4WD'ing in rougher conditions, but generally (IMO) factory specs should do for light off-roading use
7) Snorkel. If you don't plan high water crossings or endless hours behind traffic on dirt roads then i.m.o. forget it. I've managed near on 30 years 4X4 ownership and more than my share of desert driving without a snorkel. (Just saying guys! :))

mikehzz

My thoughts on priorities from your list based on your first thread, "would be used for relatively shorter touring trips, no big plans to lap aus just yet, don't have the time! nothing really extreme, but basic 4wd trails. Wouldn't really be used for anything but that as I'm within riding distance of work, so daily k's not an issue. Nothing to tow, car wouldn't be doing more than 10,000km a year."

1) first :) Decent fridge (Engel or Waeco Dometic have good reputation) A Waeco CF50 works for me. You need at least one cold beer, (or a cup of tea?), to ingest in a sticky situation to provide 'relax' time when considering, "How do I get out of this mess?"
2) a half decent air compressor (and maybe a hand pump back-up if travelling solo?) I'm confused on these, as various branded ones all look the same and possibly came from the same Chinese factory (?) yet vary in price from $100- $250???
3) Do you really need a bullbar? Great if you think you will need a front mounted electric winch! Great if you travel in roo infested areas! Maybe not necessary if you are city based and have your comprehensive insurance paid up and you have a low excess? I had a bullbar on my old FJ60 and it saved me heaps of times travelling at dawn in roo infested areas. I've also had bullbars on work vehicles that saved me nothing as roos hit the sides of the vehicles (same with my sedans). What do you do? I've run with no bullbar on my past 2 4X4's and not hit a roo (yet! :))
4) Lights. If you don't plan on travelling much at night the factory lights should suffice i.m.o. Like previously suggested, try them first and see. I've fitted STEDI light bars for others and they are a good thing. Personally I run a couple 'old school' aircraft landing light sealed beams, but hardly ever need them.
5) Awning. A great thing if camping in wet conditions. We rarely use ours as I prefer trips away in dry conditions. Even though they are handy for shade, we find we rarely use ours for that purpose as we tend to use trees for shade or vehicle shade at the end of the day.
6) Lift Kit. A good thing for 4WD'ing in rougher conditions, but generally (IMO) factory specs should do for light off-roading use
7) Snorkel. If you don't plan high water crossings or endless hours behind traffic on dirt roads then i.m.o. forget it. I've managed near on 30 years 4X4 ownership and more than my share of desert driving without a snorkel. (Just saying guys! :))
I agree with a lot of that. Things I've had in the past that I don't bother with now are bullbar, winch and driving lights because I never use any of them. You drive a lot slower at night without a bullbar and lights and that's a good thing because not carrying the weight and driving slower saves you a lot of fuel plus the initial purchase of the gear. I know, I'm just not cool. :)

LD.02

I've heard endless good things about engels, largely good about waeco/dometic so if I can maybe save some cash around other bits ill front up on the fridge. I love the look of the bullbar, so i'll have to weigh that up against insurance costs but fairly sure I'll be able to live with it. I know its entirely irrational! If i get the bar ill get the lights too, just to complete the look. lift kit will come a few months down the track if stock doesn't put up with the first couple trips

LD.02

also, where to go for dual battery installs? better to buy it all and (carefully) DIY? rough estimates on costs / what it cost anyone either way would be appreciated

BensWhackCar

Bull bar first, crazy to not have one. My BOCAR bull bar has taken a couple trees at 40 k's with 0 damage.
Winch next, you can have the best tyres, v8 engine, and diff lockers back and front and still get stuck. If you have a winch you can get unstuck.
Bought a 150$ Ozito air compressor from bunnings a few months ago, reads pressure and pumps tyres from 12-32PSI in about 3 minutes each, after an area where you have to let the tyres down that time is good just to rest lol.
Traction tracks are also awesome, and for so cheap. 150$ for a pair.
Not sure about a snorkel, but if you're doing anything that you might need a snorkel for you definitely need to be looking at a winch.
I bought a rooftop tent off a mate for 500$, they're awesome and easy to unload then go 4x4ing, it folds out and works an an awning behind the car, cooking setup in the back.
A fridge would be awesome, that's my next step but would need a duel battery system, ice works for a few days.

A lift? very handy but I think I'd rather get 2inch bigger tyres if I could go back. Super expensive...

Lights are a why not thing, you'll find plenty of situations you want more light, and lights are so damn easy to install.

BensWhackCar

Have to stress on the bull bar, the comparison of bumping ANYTHING with a bull bar compared to a nudge bar or nothing is insane... can't believe some people four wheel drive without them. Or drive in the bush without them... or drive in the city without them... my bull bar isn't one that connects up to the air bags though so I diddn't have to fork out 3000$. I suppose.

LD.02

Have to stress on the bull bar, the comparison of bumping ANYTHING with a bull bar compared to a nudge bar or nothing is insane... can't believe some people four wheel drive without them. Or drive in the bush without them... or drive in the city without them... my bull bar isn't one that connects up to the air bags though so I diddn't have to fork out 3000$. I suppose.
yeah i'm pretty keen on the bar, love the look of them + it makes people second guess cutting me up on the road (on my p's, happens more than you'd think). Rooftop tent would be great but might come down the line just cause I'm not sure if I'll get a roof bar setup straight away. won't really be going anywhere hardcore enough that I'd need a winch to get me out, maxtrax will suffice on a beach I reckon.

BensWhackCar

Just make sure you get a bar that can have a winch, 500$ for a 12,000 pound winch, will pull your car out of mud up to the top of your wheels.

just got of my P’s myself, and was shocked by how many people slowly roll back into you at intersections.

you’d have a swag so that’ll do you well enough, just gotta be smart about not getting damp.
If you go with people you won’t need a winch really, keep some snatch straps in your car and max trax are probably the most useful recovery tool