Change background image

More care needed while camping in Vic, High Country this summer.

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by rogerazz, Dec 29, 2017.

1. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Gippsland’s Forest Fire Management Victoria.
    Authorised Officers are patrolling over the holiday period, talking to people about their camping experiences and passing on information about responsible behaviour in our forests and parks.
    Unfortunately, despite our education efforts and the responsible behaviour shown by many people, officers have been disappointed to find unattended campfires and rubbish dumped at a number of sites, including at Donnellys Creek, Dargo and Colquhoun.

It’s concerning to see that the message is not being heard by some. We can’t emphasise enough how critical it is to make sure your campfire is attended at all times and completely extinguished with water.

If anybody is still unsure about how to safely light, maintain and put out their campfire, we strongly encourage them to check the guidelines at www.ffm.vic.gov.au

And take your rubbish home with you!

If you see something, say something and report irresponsible or illegal behaviour at our recreation sites to DELWP on 136 186 or to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
    26001189_1784008051673305_3758703560783433840_n.jpg

26055693_1784008075006636_7332496644763512743_n.jpg
    26169843_1784008091673301_8913601440075768001_n.jpg

RBJET, Mk05explorer, Spooner and 3 others like this.
  2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Rog
    I've been meaning to post my video about Lake Cobbler back in Feb regarding a unattended fire right near the Lake, the lazy bastards couldn't be bothered to put it out , took about seven 20 litre buckets to put it out it was so hot underground...

There's should be higher penalties for walking away from a camp fire you lit... Gee I've come across too many I've had to put out and there's a river nearby, even a hut had a bucket.. LAZY BASTARDS...

A lot of the Vicfire app reports are from camp grounds, are these idiots serious..
    Plus why need a fire if it's over 35

Mk05explorer, rogerazz and Pubski like this.
  3. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Problem is ;
    1. Identifying who left the fire .
    2. Apprehending them.
    3. Courts enforcing penalties .
    I agree its just plain stupid and dangerous to leave lit/smoldering fires , but good luck in doing any of the 3 things listed above .

Spooner likes this.
  4. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I have something to add to this..

There is one thing we can can do about unattended fires, and that’s to stop and deal with any that we come across.

I’ve seen videos posted online, and even been in convoys, where people have spotted fires, commented, but kept driving.
    If you agree that leaving a fire unattended is dangerous, how can you comfortably drive past without at least attempting to extinguishing it?

In a way, I feel anyone that drives off and does nothing is almost as bad as the original person/s that left it.

Not to the same extent, but I pretty much feel the same way about rubbish.

This wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular, but it’s something that does annoy me.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    CaptainBanana, mikehzz, Wang and 5 others like this.
  5. rogerazz

Having grown up in the bush nearly seventy years ago and still enjoy a camp fire I would say.
    I agree with Swaggie that is, why need a fire in hot summer weather, risks are too great. If it is just because you need a fire to sit around no matter what, have another think about all the bush fires out there where many are started by camp fires.:eek:.
    Also for some who may not know. When you have a camp fire close to trees, I have seen where they burn down to tree roots and travel back to the tree.:eek:.
    So be careful and make sure you know what you are doing is ok. And legal :).

Spooner and Bomber2012 like this.
  6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I totally agree, but I do get sick of it, I won't clean up rubbish anymore, in or out of a fire, I've done my fair share...

Spooner likes this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Just people being stupid F Wits , We all see it time and time again everywhere any time of the year .
    Doesn't matter where you are , you will run across it.
    Sad to say but true :(

dno67 likes this.
  8. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

The thing is everytime I go out over summer and I'm in an area like Mayfield Spur/Wonnangatta etc for an example where it takes 10kms an hour to get out for an hour or so, where going to get fried or someone is because of these Idiots.. Well I hope it doesn't happen but it certainly crosses my mind when I'm out there, what's happening over the other valley. Who's driven off and just left there fire...
    I'm telling you now other members should take this on board too...
    I can except a lightning strike but this is blatant murder in my eyes.

No doubt they'll plead they were belted as a child and walk from a Court Of Law if caught it's crazy ...

Sean Logue likes this.
  9. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

I understand and on many times have driven past it and thought exactly the same thing BUT I still pick up heaps and especially when we are camping on our favourite beach at Tocumwal. Simple reason being that only a small minority leave all there shit there and only a small minority will pick it up after them.
    If no one picks it up then it builds up and the Ranger or local council worker will / has to, then they take it out and fill in a report, then no more camping signs will go up and all I will be able to do is reminisce with the better half and tell the grand kids the fun we used to have with there Mum or Dad when they were young and we used to be able to camp there.
    Sad but when you look at the big picture we all have to clean up after the pigs whether that is picking up rubbish or putting out camp fires.

Ziggy, Pubski, Mk05explorer and 3 others like this.
  10. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Member

I wish I did not get sick of it , but i am too. There has been many tracks we have gone alone and picked up beer cans , chip packets , coke bottles every kilometer. I have to take deep breath when i see the rubbish , nearly wreaks my day.

I do still pick up the odd one , just have to. I just don't understand WHY!! people litter in our beautiful bush.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Swaggie likes this.
  11. rogerazz

My original post was about being careful with fires in camps especially in summer time. However I guess it is expected that comments will come up about rubbish in the bush as well.
    Sadly this is not just 4wd ers, campers, etc. I believe this all starts with the general attitude in our society today where a lot of people discard rubbish onto the ground. Be it Car parks, sporting venues, beaches, roadside, at home, etc.etc.Then this attitude is carried out into the bush.
    I don't ask why, I ask why not?
    Meanwhile back at the ranch..... Pic of our beautiful camp site on the Eildon next to some neighbors:eek:.
    P.S. I have heaps of these types of photos however I don't want to bore you.
    DSCF0591.JPG

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  12. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Member

:mad::mad: if I were in another time , I would pull a shotgun out and make them clean it up . Then shoot a hole in there radiator for the respect of nature.:mad::mad:

RBJET likes this.
  13. rogerazz

I did live in another time.:). That is the sixties:). I cannot tell you how we dealt with some things back then, or I did anyway.
    Needless to say, I would be in heaps of trouble today.:rolleyes:.
    I guess we have to go for education. etc. etc. in this P.C. world today.
    My form of education is a bit outdated.;).

Sean Logue likes this.
  14. Sean Logue

Sean Logue Member

That is the prob with this P.C world today , way to soft. Old ways like yours you get respect with fear if they don't want to listen and learn. I like the old ways if its not out of control. ;)

15. rogerazz

Those bloody camp fires :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    DELWP Gippsland[​IMG]
    Quote "Timing and quick response save Doolans Plain fire.
    It was a case of ‘right place, right time’ and a speedy response on Sunday April 8, when two Forest Fire Management Victoria officers were patrolling in a remote part of the Carey State Forest, at Doolans Plain, about 30 kilometres north-east of Licola.
    The two officers received the report of a fire and were able to respond rapidly as they were in a G Wagen only a few kilometres away.
    The fire, started by an unattended escaped campfire, was already running fast and had enormous potential in Sunday’s warm and windy weather conditions.
    The quick response and some tough work contained the fire to a small size and stopped it spreading further into the bush until air support arrived.
    If they’d not been close by, this fire could have taken off and run rapidly through State forest and the nearby Alpine National Park – it reinforces the message, yet again, about the importance of vigilance with campfires.
    People must stay with their campfire at all times and extinguish it properly and completely with plenty of water before leaving their campsite.
    In this case, the people responsible returned to the site after realising what had happened when a firefighting helicopter was circling above them.

They were questioned by the Authorised Officers who had contained the fire, and one man was later served with two infringement notices totalling $952.

DON’T LET YOUR CAMPFIRE BECOME A BUSHFIRE – watch it all the time and put it out properly before you leave it ".
    [​IMG]

Spooner likes this.
  16. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

We put two out driving around the mt Pinnabar area at Easter... One of them was 15 steps from the bloody river as well ...not exactly a difficult task

Spooner, rogerazz and Mr Rum like this.
  17. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

That's a common scenario mate.. Not sure exactly how there going to stop this lunacy.....

Maybe an annual Parks Pass with a fire course (stamped on your pass when you do it)... Serious fines or vehicle confiscation or both without one......
    Our Oceans are patrolled regulary but the Bush gets neglected everytime...

Innocent campers will die because of it..I think it would take a lot for change unfortunately....

The whole system just infuriates me.A tragedy waiting to happen.

Spooner, rogerazz and smitty_r51 like this.
  18. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

not everyone mate...it was the kids in our group (13,15,16 and 17) who noted the fire and put it out...there is some hope for the future as long as someone is teaching values

boobook, Mr Rum and Bomber2012 like this.
  19. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

That's great news, although I come across far too many to the point I worry when I'm out there......

I cannot believe the mindset of these twats especially how Tinder dry it is out there..

20. Kippie

Kippie Active Member

Whilst it does not address unattended camp fires, we can fight back when it involves littering and dumping. For years I have reported littering to the EPA who will prosecute without fail, provided you give them the necessary information like car registration. I use their app (Android) and even report incidents that occur in state parks. This is after I spoke with the ranger who confided that they have limited powers to deal with it, whereas EPA has more power. The nice thing is that EPA provides feed back once a year regarding the number of prosecutions based on the reporting. So I recommend this to all of you!

Mr Rum and Spooner like this.